Any forum members own the Furutech LP demagnetizer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TONEPUB, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Guys...if you think something isn't worth it, don't buy it. It's the simplest concept in the world. Empires have been built on this principle.

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yep, it's called integrity. I wouldn't sell something that I would not buy for myself should I be able to afford it. I can't afford everything that I sell, but I wish that I could!
    -Bill

3. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

No if I purchase something that does not perform as expected I return it or at least live with it until I can move on. I have bought a s**tload of $$$$ cartridges, something that is not returnable, that I didn't like, I simply lived with them until I could move on to something else.

And yes, power conditioners, $$$ interconnects and getting cables off the floor does make a difference.

Do you guys realize the type of forum this is?

Audiophilia is the lunatic fringe of music, so if you don't want to play find another hobby.

4. vinyl anachronist

Integrity also involves only offering advice on those matters with which you have experience. If you were able to try the Furutech, perceive that it wasn't of value, and then tell everyone about it, then that's integrity. Telling people not to buy something because you think it won't work is about the furthest you can get from integrity.

5. phish

phish Jack Your Body

nevermind......

these threads always seem to turn into trainwrecks.

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Exactly. No experience = pure speculation on the value.

My experience is that when there is a "placebo effect" it will eventually come out in observed performance over the long run.

7. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I won't. :cool:

8. Byrdsmaniac

Byrdsmaniac Forum Resident

This thread has had me laughing my head off for the last fifteen minutes.
    I'm with the skeptics, if LPs were magnetic they would exhibit magnetic properties. They don't so they aren't magnetic. It's not like magnetism is poorly understood or hard to detect.
    Human perceptions are utterly fallible and our minds are easily misled into thinking we perceive things that aren't there, but a record hanging from a string will not be deflected by a magnet and my entire record collection won't register any magnetic field using the most sensitive instruments. But please keep on going 'cuz I can always use more laughs.

9. kudesai

kudesai New Member

I see a dog turd sitting on the sidewalk. Someone comes along and asks me if they should pick it up, take it home, eat half, and then rub the other in their hair. Now, while having no experience in these matters, I would surely answer the individual by stating that I certainly think its a bad idea.

According to your statement, you would tell him that since you have no direct experience with subject, it would be best for him to take it home, try it out, and report back.

Now thats integrity.

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

:rolleyes:

11. vinyl anachronist

Not even close. :wave:

12. Byrdsmaniac

Byrdsmaniac Forum Resident

The dog turd thing was going too far. Not funny. I get the point though.

13. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

What a repulsive post. :realmad:

14. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Please curb all dog turd comments.

15. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

If vinyl LP records carried a magnetic charge (which they don't), wouldn't pressing plants de-magnetize the records before shipping them out? Audiophile labels would proudly label their new records as "De-magnitized, because sound matters!"

16. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Now that's a post you don't see everyday :D

17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

How do you know? Have you measured the magnetism?

18. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

There isn't any to be measured. It's like asking me to take a drink from an empty cup.

19. kudesai

kudesai New Member

LOL. No problem. :laugh:

20. vinyl anachronist

Yes, but in order to know the cup is empty, you need to look into it.

21. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

:laugh:

22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Actually, I am not telling anyone not to buy something. I said that I would not buy it. I can make that call, right? Since I would never buy such an item, I would never recommend that anyone else do so. That is different from being proactive about it, such as you seem to be. You questioning my integrity is silly.
    -Bill

23. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

And vinyl still doesn't carry a magnetic charge. Thus negating the need for a de-magnetizer.

24. vinyl anachronist

You said:

"Ha Ha Ha!

No. I think it's ridiculous. It's things like this that make audiophiles the target of that ridicule."

That's a long way from simply not recommending it.

25. vinyl anachronist

I guess you missed the scientific explanation, where it was stated that foreign materials in the vinyl could be magnetic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.