Any forum members own the Furutech LP demagnetizer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TONEPUB, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

No, I had the correct automotive analogy the first time. Thanks.

2. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

All are pure BS. Oil manufacturers stress not to use them as do car manufacturers. The teflon separates out and is of no value and in addition, teflon doesn't have the shearing capabilities required for use in engines. Think of shearing as a guillotine.

3. vinyl anachronist

It's not snobbery, just the simple and reasonable fact that a highly-resolving system makes these sonic differences more noticeable. If you have to attach a $ sign to this fact, so be it.

It's like mentioning the fact that high-octane gas will make a bigger difference in the performance of a Ferrari than a Hyundai, and then being called a car snob.

4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I spoke with my friend who does hold a Masters in Physics and is an audiophile, I will paraphrase what he said

Carbon in itself is not magnetic however contaminates can exist in the vinyl compound or be introduced in the pressing process. Additionally sub-particles can become embedded on the vinyl surface and become oriented. When you couple these factors with mc cartridges in theory demagnetizing an LP could produce a change in sound.

The truth is would you hear the difference on a Technics table and Shure cartridge probably not. The more detailed your system is the more differences you will hear.

5. kudesai

kudesai New Member

Another bad analogy. High octane gas has a very specific purpose in automotive engineering. If the Hyundai does not require the use of it, then it will not improve its performance at all. Higher octane gas is used in higher compression engines because it will not pre-ignite under heat and pressure. It is in fact harder to ignite. Therefore, higher compression engines need a LESS combustible fuel.

As for higher resolving systems, how does one measure that? How do you know if your system is resolving enough to warrant this device? At least my car manual lets me know what kind of fuel I should put in my car, or the top speed my tires are rated for.

6. kudesai

kudesai New Member

What is the measurement for 'detail'? Which turntables and cartridges are 'resolving' enough?

7. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

One's that cost money

8. kudesai

kudesai New Member

And there you have it.

So just to be sure I understand, the main thing I should look for in a 'high resolving system' is the dollar figure? At what price point do these components start 'resolving' enough 'detail' so that products such as an $1800 degausser will make sense?

9. vinyl anachronist

No, it's a good analogy. In fact, you even confirm it. A Hyundai will still run on high-octane fuel. A cheap turntable will still play a record after it has been de-magnetized. You'll notice a bigger difference with a Ferrari or a Continuum, though.

As far as your request for measurements, well, when all people hear exactly the same way, maybe there will be more agreement about what those measurements mean. Then again, it's not so different in the car world. A lot of Porsche and Ferrari owners roll their eyes when they see the press call the Honda Accord or Toyota Camry the best car on the planet. And a lot of Accord and Camry owners can't understand why someone would pay the price of a house for an automobile. And so it goes.

10. kudesai

kudesai New Member

More car analogies.

Vroooom.

11. vinyl anachronist

A highly-resolving system isn't measured with dollar signs, but with the ears. But it's only logical that the technology and labor required to produce these products often costs a lot of money. And some of these products are better values than others. And if you don't think something is worth it, you shouldn't buy it.

It's not brain surgery.

(BTW, Tommy was having fun with you.)

12. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

a. Yep
    b. More than you want to spend.

All this becomes pointless after a while.
    I have not heard this nor do I plan to spend $1800 to buy it even if it made a huge difference (unless you want to start paying my daughters college tuition).

It's just that I'm not closing my mind to the possibility that it can make a difference.

Here is an analogy that maybe you can relate to
    Most solid state gear will test better using "scientific" procedures than Tube gear, but many times the tube gear will sound better.

13. I don't think these car analogies are useful--really, audio is its own beast and is not easily analogized to anything. Ferrari's may outperform Honda's, but spend a lot more time in the shop than Honda's do, and get worse fuel economy, and cost a heck of a lot more to own and maintain. Which is the better car? It depends on what criteria you are using.

14. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

What he said. Besides, cars perform a function.
    -Bill

15. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

I'm thinking about ordering a Walker Talisman to hear for myself. I'll be sure to keep it away from my cartridge though.

I just hope that it doesn't end up in my "Hall of Failed Tweaks" (the existence of which is testament to the fact that I have learned to at least partially control the placebo effect).

16. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

Hmmmm... Car analogies.

Should I demagnetize my car? Will it perform better? Yuk, Yuk..

I know some entities have claimed that putting magnets near the fuel line will somehow increase MPG... Do you guys think that will work? Or should we not discuss it until we have personally tried it? Just wondering. R.E.

17. vinyl anachronist

No. The car analogy is very useful, because it serves to point out the fact that people are not complaining about the exotic car market the way they complain about the high-end audio world. Why not? It's the luxury goods market. No one looks at the Playboy Mansion and says, "I don't see the point in this. My one-bedroom apartment keeps me out of the rain, too."

18. kudesai

kudesai New Member

I don't know, is your car resolving enough? :)

19. vinyl anachronist

A respectable dealer should give you your money back if it doesn't work. Most dealers these days won't touch tweaks unless they know it makes an obvious difference.

20. vinyl anachronist

And music doesn't?

21. ecmgermany

ecmgermany Forum Resident

You're a lot like me - I'd probably fiercely defend the purchase of a $1,800 mistake too! I take it you also believe in power conditioners, $10,000 interconnects, and raising your cables of the floors using styrofoam cups?

22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I think that I will wear my hat backwards all day. That way, it'll reverse the charge in my brain and I'll think more clearly! I could use some subatomic re-alignment!

Whadu ya think?

[​IMG]

-Bill

23. kudesai

kudesai New Member

I would invest in a higher resolving pipe first. ;)

24. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Now we're talkin' about music! Yeah, ...finally! :D
    -Bill

25. vinyl anachronist

Since when is making assumptions a wise strategy in an argument? You forgot to mention power cords, BTW. It's in your Objectivist Manual.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.