Any forum members own the Furutech LP demagnetizer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TONEPUB, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

A rudimentary understanding of physics helps. Some "street smarts" doesn't hurt either. There is nothing to demagnatize.

Look at it this way. Let's forget about audio for a moment. That way, you are not challenged by your own desire to improve on something that you are passionate about. Let's say that instead that we have another physical example:
    It's summer and it's hot outside. You have a set of bungie cords and you are attempting to attach a duffle bag to the top of your VW microbus (OK, we're hippies). You are stretching one of the cords and it seems a bit more loose than the other. So rather than shifting the duffle bag to put equal tension on both sides of the cords for you, Waldo (the weird one with the round, rose colored glasses) says "Hey man, I 've got a quantum particle organizer in my pocket and I can help you out, man." Waldo pulls out this small oval bit of hematite and begins waiving it over the end of the bungie cord. These are no ordinary bungie cords. They are German made, high end cords, straight from Westfalia and have extruded aluminum ends and a heavy neoprene center strand. After Waldo has finished the waiving and chanting ritual, you climb back up on the bus and after having to muscle around the duffle bag a bit to avoid decending prematurely, you are easily able to attach the second bungie cord. "Wow, that was so cool Waldo.", your girlfriend Sally exclaims.

OK, so what did we learn from this excercise? Waldo has magic rocks? Aluminum and neoprene have magnetic properties that have slipped past the most respected scientists for generations? Or Sally, the strawberry blonde waif is easily impressed by strange men with round glasses and tight nylon pants?
    ;)
    -Bill

2. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

For those who question it, I simply ask, have you tried it?

For decades people have said the same about cables, AC cords, lifting speaker cables of the floor etc.
    I haven't heard it but would like to. get 2 copies of the same LP and try it.

If it works great, if not don't buy it. It's that simple.

3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That's easy enough to say about something that has a remote chance of working. Let's say something on the order of 1:1000. This is a horse of another color.

Would you whack your hand with a 5 lb. hammer if someone, oh let's just say "an audio buddy", told you that he did and now all his CD's sound way better, especially in the car (and particularly in the ER parking lot...)?! That, my friend is simply whacked.
    -Bill

4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

That comparison is bizarre. This is simply putting a record on and listening.
    Nobody is twisting your arm. Don't believe it don't try it.

Thank God you didn't give Christopher Columbus advice. No Chris don't go the world is flat, you'll fall off the edge.

Tommyboy likes this.
  5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

:laugh:

6. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I am still waiting for the results of the audiophile USB cable shootout.

That said, too many people that I respect have heard results from this de-mag product. They can't all be delusional. But that doesn't make me $1800 richer either.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Go for the $50 Radio Shack demagnetizer then. :)

8. Now THAT'S an idea!

9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

LPs are not the same as cds, in that there is quite a bit of variation possible in even discs that are ostensibly the "same" pressing.

To blind test this, would require a series of lps where the tester doesn't reveal whether he has actually turned the machine on or not, asks the testie whether he hears a difference as he replays the selection back, and charts the results until a large enough sample has occurred to infer whether there is a statistically significant difference.

Of course, even if it doesn't work on records, I should be able to use it to erase my valuable reel to reels. ;)

10. ecmgermany

ecmgermany Forum Resident

How adorable! You still think Michael Fremer, John Atkinson et al. still have reputations to protect?

I have had a subscription to Stereophile for two years now, and enjoy seeing new products and specs, but it's obvious that the Stereophile is pretty much unofficially operated by it's advertisers.

11. Mark W.

Mark W. Forum Resident

OK Magnetism

First off carbon is not a magnetic element nor does it have Iron or Nickel in it. Nor does PVC have Iron or Nickel in it.

OK how do we check to see if an LP is Magnetized? Well the most sensitive way I have at home to detect magnetism is my $60.00 Silva Compass. Now this little buddy can detect magnetism all the way to the Magnetic North Pole. Which in my case is approx. 1/4 of the earth away (since I live just a tiny bit North of the 45th parallel)

Now this little compass will detect the slightest variation in the magnetic field.

If I hold a piece of steel the size of a silver dollar within 12 inches of the needle it will cause a slight deviation of the needle from pointing towards Magnetic North.

Yet if I hold this same precision instrument within an inch of a shelf with 500 LP's on it none of which have ever been demagnetized it does not change course the tiniest bit.

Now logic (sorry had to use the big word) would tell any high school student in a Freshman Physical Science class that the shelf with 500 LP's on it did not have a magnetic field nor does it have any element that would effect a magnetic field.

So until you can tell me what part of vinyl LP can be magnetic. There is no reason to discuss a device to demag an LP.

Properties of Carbon http://www.dendritics.com/scales/el-carbon.asp Sorry not a single word about being magnetic in any form.

But I only drive a dump truck for a living so I might not be up to the task of discussing such deep audio concepts as the magical magnetizing of a non ferrous material and the subsequent removal of said magical magnetic condition.

12. Mark W.

Mark W. Forum Resident

Oh sorry my Pro-Ject RM-5 did no come with the Accessory Proton beam or built in X ray machine. I'll go away.

If Tone-Pub would like to change an opinion there will be a Gathering of Audio nuts in Kelso WA. March 29th. He can easily find the details on Audiokarma.org

I'll bring the TT and premagnetized LP's all he needs to bring is the Magic.

13. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member Thread Starter

I'll do you one better smart guy....

Why don't you come over to my house and give it a listen on a decent system.

100 bucks says there is a very audible difference.

And I'll have a continuum for you to listen to, not an RM5

Now what do you have to say?

14. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Or, you can play a record, demagnetize it, and then play it again and determine if you can hear a difference. If you can't, don't buy it. If you can and think it's worth $1800, then buy it.

That's how consumers in the marketplace do it. Crazy stuff, I know.

15. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yes, that was my point. It is no more bizarre than someone trying to demagnify something that has no magnetism.
    -Bill

16. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Rent's due at the end of the month... :D
    -Bill

17. TONEPUB

And as you recall, the topic of this thread was, does anyone here actually OWN this product?

So far, no one has responded to the question...

18. vinyl anachronist

Once again, people have chosen to submit opinions on a product in which they have no experience whatsoever.

19. TONEPUB

Also, remember, when I heard this product at CES, I walked in the room ready to give them a ration of crap thinking that it wouldn't work...

If the difference had been subtle, we would have, but it is pretty night and day.

20. vinyl anachronist

And I was only moderately interested when you told me you were getting one. I didn't expect the level of improvement that I heard.

21. Mark W.

Mark W. Forum Resident

Address? And whats a Continuum?

22. TONEPUB

PM me, we'll get together in the next two weeks when schedules permit.

As I recall, you are the guy with the "Shrine to the Vintage Pioneer"...
    I wanted to get in touch with you anyway.

Here's what you'll be listening to:

http://www.continuumaudiolabs.com/criterion.html

Our host mr. hoffman has one too.

23. TONEPUB

I saw your posts on Audio Karma...

Seeing you are coming to Portland for the VSAC show, we'll set up a demo in our room. Bring your buddies and that way we can have a wider showing and it will be right out in the open.

Then we can also do it more than once.

I also encourage you to bring your own records. We'll clean it, play it then run it through the furutech and see what you all think.

I think that will be the easiest!

24. Russ

Russ Outlaw

Regardless if it's true or not, that's not a bad gamble. If it's magnetized (charged) and then demagnetized (no charge).

Demagnetize: to deprive of magnetic properties. (Merriam-Webster)

By definition there are no levels of demagnitization.

Maybe cheaper brands will be lableled magnetic reducers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.