Antiques Roadshow on The Beatles' "Yesterday and Today"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Sep 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I was at a party in a friend of a friend's house in 1975. As I always did back then, I checked out her record collection (all 20 LPs) for a Butcher covers. Amazingly, there was a FIRST STATE opened copy (definitely not a peel job & the same siize as a normal LP (no open side slice-off) in there!! I then proceeded to offer her all of the cash that I and a couple of my friends had on hand (they would have loaned me the cash) for it. She replied that she would definitely have done it, but it was her sister's (who was away at college) LP & she couldn't sell it. I never saw them again. I have also seen a couple of other first states out there, so they definitely came out in the NYC area.

2. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

If you're talking about the AR lady shown in the link in first post, she had (sold now) a First state stereo Butcher cover that she says she bought at Sears the first day it was available. There was no question in my mind when I saw it on TV that it was genuine. The estimate she received was not low ($10,000 - 12,000), it was right on the money. The website says it sold for $10,471 at itsonlyrocknroll.com.

Derek

3. jroyen

jroyen Forum Resident

I know someone who originally purchased his butcher cover in the now defunct Woolworth's here in NYC. Of course, Woolworth's was also infamous for the storm of protests created by their segregated lunch counter, around 1960, in Greensboro North Carolina. Anyway, he still has the album till this day, and it almost looks new. So they were definitely put up for sale in certain regions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.