Another Steely Dan Aja CD test thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bob2935, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

It must be a digital domain copy to be that close. My guess is maybe one has dither added and the other doesn't. Just an idea - could be completely wrong.

:)

2. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Isn't it true that Steve has never commented on the sound of the "almost" version? It seems possible that he could hear it and say, "That one sounds like my version too," or "That one sounds more like mine than the other."

In another bit of long-running forum lore known as Who's Next, we have two different masterings that are not identical but which Steve has speculated (or perhaps asserted) are both his mastering -- IIRC it's his original and then the Canadian which is an almost identical copy or something like that. (Help me out here if I'm mangling the facts.) The point being that I think in that case, the differences are greater than what we have here, yet Steve has essentially "endorsed" both.

Again, apologies to Steve and everyone else if I'm misremembering...

3. glimmersingle

glimmersingle Forum Resident

Another version with SteveĀ“s master!

I have checked my CD version of AJA with exactaudiocopy. It is a MCA 250449-2 (MCAD 37214). Peak levels are the same as 1.
    This CD version made by RECORD SERVICE ALSDORF GERMANY is pretty common in europe. They were made during the eighties when MCA was distributed by Warner/Europe. After that the rights went to BMG.

Regards

FRank

4. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Okay so after reading all this I`m still confused on the final verdict here if my Aja cd has Steve Hoffman`s or Nichols`s mastering.

I have a Japan for US MCAD-37214 DIDX 55 no barcode on back matrix mcad-37214-u7c11 anyone know? :help: Thanks!

5. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

IIRC, that is the one Steve confirmed for Joel Cairo not to be his mastering.

6. ibis

ibis Happy as fish and gorgeous as geese

Here are levels for what I presume to be the Nichols (US disc) and then the Hoffman (UK disc) masterings from the 1980s.

Non SH MCAD-37214 Made in USA. Roger Nichol's Mastering?
    Track 1
    81.4 %
    Track 2
    100.0 %
    Track 3
    100.0 %
    Track 4
    97.4 %
    Track 5
    99.8 %
    Track 6
    100.0 %
    Track 7
    90.4 %

SH MCLD 19145 Nimbus, Made in England
    Track 1
    90.7 %
    Track 2
    91.7 %
    Track 3
    90.8 %
    Track 4
    88.9 %
    Track 5
    96.3 %
    Track 6
    86.1 %
    Track 7
    97.5 %

Sound-wise? There is quite a difference between the two.
    The US Disc sounds superb... until you hear the UK disc! There is extra bass and the soundstage opens up so much that I thought my speakers had left the confines of my room and gone walkabout in opposite directions!

7. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Yeah, Steve's version is pretty remarkable, so much so that I took the same EQ settings he used on the Aja master and tried them on the other Steely albums, also with pretty spectacular results.

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I thought it was determined at some point that the Japan-for-U.S. CBS/Sony pressing and the Japan-for-U.S. JVC pressing had different masters. If memory serves, the CBS/Sony pressing has peak levels nearly identical to the U.K. Nimbus pressings identified as having Steve's mastering. Therefore, I believe the CBS/Sony pressing has that mastering (ditto for the Japanese 32XD issue with the same peak levels).

If the Japanese JVC pressing has different peak levels, perhaps it has the Nichols mastering.

9. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

That happened to me once. I quit smoking weed after that.

duneman and SteelyTom like this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I recently bought this version from a forum member. Has it been determined that this is also a Hoffman mastered version of Aja? I only ask as the quoted post (with picture) is the only mention of this version I have seen in this thread. On the inner ring of the CD the code is 1AMCD37214 06 B. Then closer to the hub opening it is stamped CMU P 109. Thanks :)!

Bill

11. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

Does it have a barcode (UPC or EAN)?

12. That CD was pressed at Sony SDM Pitman, NJ in the early 90s for Columbia House. Given that both Sony DADC Terre Haute, USA and the SDM Pitman plant pressed Columbia House's discs, they are likely the same sans the appearance and DIDX-55 number. Check and see if they are by EACs.

13. you have the Victor-JVC Japan for US pressing listed before.

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm not the most gifted with a computer but how does one go about measuring the EAC of a CD?

Bill

15. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

17. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

Just listened to my 1984 MCA Made in Japan for USA version and it is fantastic! Until listening to this, I was never really much a Steely Dan fan. This is the no bar coded DIX MCAD-37214 version, produced by Gary Katz. And here I was thinking about getting the MoFi ... no need to anymore!

18. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

There's an almost erotic pleasure to be had with 16/44.1 PCM.

19. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

I get the irony. But it's the mastering that counts, pretty much always. How's the MFSL Gaucho compare sound-wise to my Aja?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

Two questions:

#1 is Steve's, right?

When you say all Japanese MCA discs, does that include Japan for USA?

21. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

I hope it does, and it seems many in the old thread said as much, though one or two dissented because they perceived slight differences. Not being that meticulous, myself, I'm happy to go with those that say the Japan for USA is in fact Steve's mastering, though I really have no idea if that's the case. What I do know is that the Japan for USA sounds great. A bit forward, but warm, and that to me, cinches the deal. I've read that these early masterings beat out the MFSL, but I've also heard that the SHM-SACD, for mysterious reasons, sounds even better. Maybe - at some point, though, I think it's probably wise (and definitely financially wiser) to get off that endless merry-go-round in pursuit of the holy grail of THE perfect sound, but then again ... easier said than done!

22. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I know it's silly to compare LP editions to CD editions for all sorts of reasons, but I owned all sorts of both over the years and all I can say is the Kevin Gray mastered LP for Cisco that came out a few years ago....

....wow.

23. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

What you quoted is outdated information. Here is my final finding (http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/aja-cd-question.194827/#post-4799828)

There are three groups of original Aja CDs which are extremely close to each other:

Group 1: 90.7 --- 91.7 --- 90.8 --- 88.9 --- 96.3 --- 86.2 --- 97.5 (MCD 01745, Made In Germany)
    Group 2: 90.7 --- 91.7 --- 90.8 --- 88.9 --- 96.3 --- 86.1 --- 97.5 (MCLD 19145, Made In England)
    Group 3: 90.8 --- 91.7 --- 90.6 --- 88.7 --- 96.3 --- 86.2 --- 97.6 (MCAD 37214, Made In Japan or US)

A copy of a CD from group 2 was identified by Steve to be his mastering. A copy of a CD from group 3 was identified by Steve to be not his mastering. The difference between group 2 and group 3 is less than -60 db and they are totally in synch. Also of note: The difference between group 1 and group 2 is white noise at an even lower level.

24. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

Plain English translation, please, for us beknighted ones - so the Made in Japan for USA sounds the same, worse, or what? Thanks.

25. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

Andreas, in plain English, please - so, the made in Japan for USA MCA 1984 disc I have sounds basically the same as Steve's mastering? If so, what's the big deal if it wasn't his mastering? Isn't how it sounds the bottom line?