Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thomasec, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Or maybe the ticks and noise are throughout, but you're only hearing them in that song because it's the quietest one on the album. :eek:

Go ahead slap me......I'm just being difficult.

I saw the vinyl at a shop the other day. $23. Isn't that a bit high?

2. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

The mastering of the CD is just painful.
    Keep me from getting into the music. I'd like to hear a needledrop.
    To relax, I listened to Pet Sounds afterwards.

3. ucfjon

ucfjon Forum Resident

That's what it is pretty much everywhere I've seen it. It's a double LP.

4. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

Believe me I actually did think of that possibility at first!

But really, it is a very quiet pressing. If you're thinking about picking it up on vinyl I would. MPP may take a while to go out of print, but like all Animal Collective vinyl once it is, it will sell for a lot higher. I paid $30 CDN for mine at a local shop after canceling my online order, so $23 US sounds like a pretty decent price.

5. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I just picked this up today after hearing "Summertime Clothes" in my local CD shop. Really cool album. The first thing I though of on some of the tracks is that its like Pink Floyd meets Paul Simon. Despite some obvious influences (including the Beach Boys) it's a unique album. The CD mastering doesn't bother me too much. Excellent new music. :thumbsup:

6. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

7. thomasec

thomasec Forum Resident Thread Starter

Such a great video....compliments the song so well.

8. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

Could someone please comment on the difference between the original vinyl issues of Sung Tongs and Feels and the new DMM releases. i only have the new ones and find them bright/harsh/compressed whatever :) Quite like MPP too.

Do the original vinyls have less loud mastering?

Thanks

R

9. mfp

mfp Senior Member

The original Sung Tongs sounds fine. If the reissue sounds anything like the mess that was Strawberry Jam on vinyl, I'd go look for an original quick before they get even more expensive.

10. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

Thanks mfp. I'm gonna bump and see if anyone has heard both :)

11. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

First Imp Pressings...

I broke down and took the plunge and finally bought this MPP record on vinyl on Record Store Day, my most expensive purchase, $26.99 for the double Lp... :shake:

I'm spinning it now for the first time, my first AC album ever, and I'm of mixed emotions. I thought I'd fall in love with an instant classic the way it was described herein, but, first listen, "I'm not in love", just yet...

Sounds like The Beach Boys borrowed a large vial of LSD from The Beatles or The Dead and tripped over to Mike Oldfield's country mansion for the month and got really back to the country... very spacy, very ethereal, I think I'll need a few more span before the plank kicks sin...

My other thought is, didn't The Beta Band do this sorta thing already? and better?? :angel:

cheers,
    :cheers:

12. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

I'm in!
    :thumbsup:
    :righton:
    :D

13. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

It'll grow on you. No hurry though. :)

14. mrbillswildride

What I AM really loving now is the long spacy epic that is 'Crystal River', a gem of a song on the new Mudcrutch album of last year, playing the live ep version now, even longer even spacier, this kind of space rock just does not get made this well anymore, highly recommened.... :righton:

15. mfp

mfp Senior Member

No they didn't. :)

Yeah, it's not necessarily as "instant" or easy to love as some critics make it out to be.

After several months with this album, the very last song on it is definitely my favorite.

16. mrbillswildride

I'll keep on trying...

Agreed, I played the whole thing through again, all four sides, but in reverse order this time, and side four held up the best... But I gotta say, overall, I'm a bit disappointed, seems to be mind-numbingly repeatitive and not all that inspiring, musically... Maybe this kind of stuff is just not my cup o' tea...:sigh:

17. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

Gonna buy their last 2 albums today after seeing them on Letterman last night. I like these guys.

18. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Incredible album!

It's sunk in after around 10 listens and finding lyrics.
    From liking 3 or 4 songs at first, now all are incredible.
    Very personal lyrics. As organic as their music sounds, the lyrics also highlight internal beauty and feelings.

Recurring themes are of living a simple life and spending quality time with the ones you love. Kind of makes me think of some Talking Heads lyrics. The kind you don't expect to hear in a song.

I heard an Animal Collective CD briefly a few years ago at a record store and wrongly dismissed them as a Weezer clone. As much as I like Weezer, this music is way more interesting.

A lot of this album has been around for a while. There is an NPR podcast of an Animal Collective concert I downloaded last year where around 5 songs from Merriweather are played. It was a nice surprise to hear something familiar within a lot of complex music and rhythms. It's not an easy first listen.

Hopefully the music will stay great even as their relative anonimity grows.

19. mfp

mfp Senior Member

I too think the last song is the best, and yes, the lyrics are sweet and down-to-earth.

20. IanL

IanL Senior Member

My brother recommended these guys to me. He played some of an earlier album for me while we were painting the house and I thought it was pretty strange. I commented that it seemed pretty disjointed, and he said he thought they were one of the best and most creative, original bands out there right now. So I promised him I would check them out further and give them a real chance.

Later that night I found myself killing some time at a Newbury Comics and browsed through their vinyl and I came across this album in the rack. So I bought it and have listened to it 3 times so far. I was pretty lost on the first listen. But I started finding the melodies on the 2nd time through, and after the 3rd listen I absolutely love about half the songs and the others are growing on me too. I can't believe I never heard of these guys!

Based on the comments here I may track down a copy of Person Pitch too.

21. definitely do it.

22. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I adore Animal Collective, have all the albums, some live recordings, that recent Box of Animal Crack live thing, etc. and I will heartily and readily admit that Person Pitch is the most essential purchase out of all of it, over all the best AC stuff even. A really magical record.

23. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Okay, you guys can really put on the full court press.

It's on the way...

24. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

They were pretty amazing at Bonnaroo... despite the 2pm performance in the heat and humidity. I swear, I could barely stand in the crowd because of the heat! But the music was breathtaking. I love how they challenge your ideas of musical arrangement... they play with expectations so well. It was just a beautiful show.

25. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Person Pitch vinyl arrived the other day and I have one listen in so far.

Based on one listen I would say it doesn't sound nearly as melodic as MPP. Of course, after one listen I was pretty lost on MPP, so I know I need to listen to this a few more times.

Meanwhile I have been listening to MPP more and it really is a fantastic record. At this point I think Guys Eyes is my favorite tune. All of the tunes continue to grow on me though. Brother Sport is the catchiest of all the tunes IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.