Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thomasec, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I heard Summertime Clothes today during a featured review on NPR's Sound Opinions. It's miles away from Feels, isn't it? Reminded me quite a bit of Olivia Tremor Control.

Hope I can still find it on vinyl ...

Jeff

2. haste

haste Forum Resident

Really great album, loving it so far. "My Girls" and "Brother Sport" are the highlights for me, though the whole album is very fun. It's not my first experience with AC, I tried Sung Tongs once but couldn't get into it. Will have to revisit their older stuff soon.

Pitchfork tend to be biased towards this kind of music, but they gave it a high score, no doubt it will be at least very high on the end-of-year charts.

3. thomasec

thomasec Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

I've tried many times, and like parts of it but can't fully get into Panda Bear's Person Pitch as a whole. MPP seems to be miles better so far.

5. mistermuse

mistermuse Forum Resident

Yeah, Person Pitch can be a bit repetitive. MPP is much tighter in song structure.

6. ucfjon

ucfjon Forum Resident

My vinyl came yesterday. It sounds good...really bass heavy. The WAV files are a nice bonus too.

On a different note, the cover was bent and there is a light scratch across "My Girls." I can't feel the scratch and I don't hear anything so I'll probably keep it instead of sending it back, because who knows when they'll be in stock again?

7. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Are AC's CDs usually mastered gently or too loud? I have a feeling this new one will be maxed out....

8. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Ain't heard the new one but the Strawberry Jam CD was brickwalled to death. Unlistenable IMO.

9. stephen@hennefer

stephen@hennefer New Member

Agree with this comment.

Panda Bear very good but not become a fan after hearing AC's other output. I'll certainly give this a good listen.

Nice to see all the leftfield fans making an appearance.

Oh I'm 53, not relevant at all, new music keeps you young IMO

10. brstp

brstp Active Member

I always enjoy their stuff on first listen but never seem to reach for the CDs. If the leak is any indication, maybe this one will be different....but probably not.

11. thomasec

Don't want to belabor the point, but this album is truly amazing, and I hate seeing this thread buried deeper and deeper on the forums. Again, the whole thing is available to listen to for FREE right here:

http://au.myspace.com/dominorecordsoz

Also, the CD comes out on Tuesday, although the vinyl is a thing of beauty.

12. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

We gave this a rave review on our website at noripcord.com, and while I may not have been as ecstatic as the reviewer, I do think this is the best thing they've done. I have some issues with the band, namely that I don't know how emotionally resonant they are (it's hard to know what to feel listening to a lot of there music, same with Panda Bear solo). But if you like AC, this takes everything they're about and perfects it.

13. thomasec

I don't know how a song like "Bluish" doesn't resonate with someone.

"Put on your dress that I like" :love:

14. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

I'm not entirely satisfied with my explanation either, but somehow they leave me a little cold sometimes. I struggle to explain why.

15. MatthewK

MatthewK Forum Resident

Aged 38 I reckon Merriweather Post Pavilion is GENIUS. And I had failed to get into their previous output, although Person Pitch was clearly a great album.

16. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

AC Personals...

Middle-aged, male rocker, age 43, seeks Merriweather Post Pavilion vinyl source locally, will drive 30+ miles and buy dinner for the right record... call: 867-5309... :angel:

cheers,

(Read this as: I plan on finding and buying this record, my first AC Lp, asap...)

17. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

Well maybe the genius lies in the vinyl version because I have found all their CDs as mediocre. Nice soundscapes but sound like old mercury rev b sides

I saw them early on live and it was boring and saw them at NYC festival this summer and still boring live

Maybe as Richard Ashcroft says the drugs don't work or at least for me not the right ones?

Well I read they wanted it to sound like underwater and the new lp does sound like that....pretty but lacks soul and also no real there there

18. haste

haste Forum Resident

I don't really think there's soul to be found either, but the album is extremely pleasurable and catchy, no real bad moments. I'd say it's better than anything I heard from 2008 but I've still got plenty of albums to listen to from last year.

19. trivial

trivial Forum Resident

I'm really trying to get this album to grow on me, but I just can't. Bummer since my local store (about 2miles away) has had a copy of it on vinyl just sitting there since release day...

20. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Surprised there aren't more posts about this album. It's only been out 3 days, so maybe it's a little early. It's really growing on me to the point of obsession. Wow, this is like Pet Sounds - 2009, and only 14 people know it....ha! So inventive AND melodic. Takes a few listens to fully sink in. Disagree with others about there not being much feeling/soul. Parts are very moving......to me anyway.....like My Girls, No More Runnin', even Brothersport.

I'm a newbie to Animal Collective, and I plan to explore some of their earlier material, but I have a feeling this one will remain my favorite. Amazing album. :righton:

21. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

MPP Vinyl OOP on day of release...

This is the thrid week in a row I've checked my local shop to procure this vinyl, but to no avail.... It appears the first run was OOP before they left the warehouses, pitiful small press run--3,000?, gobbled up in a flash, as in day of release... repressing underway now I am told... :shake: Can't wait, but won't bother with the cd... :agree:

cheers,

22. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Check out Feels. I haven' heard Merriweather yet, but Feels is the album that put em on the map ... at least for me.

Jeff

23. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

After listening to Merriweather quite a few times now I think it's great, but still think Feels is better. So many stand out tracks like Did You See the Words, Grass, The Purple Bottle, and Banshee Beat.

I think The Purple Bottle is Animal Collective's single best song-the ending is crazy-emotional, intense and overwhelming.

For anyone who is brand new to Animal Collective check out The Purple Bottle. This is a fan video of the Stevie Wonder Mix, but it's barely any different from the album version, and the best I could find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV_g5kmvvSk

24. serge

serge Forum Resident

i'll probably go see them 5-11 here in dc

25. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

I guess I need safer, melodic Animal Collective, cuz I just watched You Tube's of those 3 and didn't like them anywhere near as well as the stuff on MPP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.