Amy Winehouse - Live DVD and "Back To Black" Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mal, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

One major difference between Amy Winehouse and Britney Spears is talent. Spears may just be able to hold a tune, but Amy Winehouse can SING!! Britney Spears new album "Blackout" has just been released and the reviews have been okay in that they all seem to say that a lot of the tracks are great but Britney is almost incidental to them, it could be anyone singing and autotuned to death :)
    Amy Winehouse is at the heart of her album. Its her singing that makes that album so great and its that that has won her fans like Prince and George Michael who said she was one of the greatest singers he has ever heard and he wants to duet with her. The fact that she also writes her own songs - not just getting a contracted co-write credit - makes her an even more talented package. I really cant wait to hear what she comes up with next.

Steve

2. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I agree with Joseph, we've had some threadcraps. Please note this thread isn't about her life or her appearance.
    Let's leave that stuff out folk and deal with the question of is this deluxe edition worth buying.

3. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

It seems like there are more than a few deluxe editions out there, one at Best Buy with some sort of DVD, the new UK 2 CD set, a Japanese edition with a bunch of bonus tracks. I've also noticed that with each, there are songs that were cut, making it difficult to get a definitive issue. Can someone who knows the songs well give an opinion as to which edition has the best tracks and leaves out the more marginal ones? I hadn't picked this album up yet, but I'm thinking that I might now.

4. biggerdog

biggerdog Senior Member

A few months ago I picked "Back to Black" and pronounced it worthless on this forum. I will slightly revise my statement now: One song, "You Know I'm no Good", is excellent, I've decided. And she really can sing, a rare talent nowdays.

The rest of the album hasn't done anything for me yet.

5. filper

filper Forum Resident

Very well recorded and mixed. There is a dts surround track and a PCM stereo track as well as DD.

Definitely a HD widescreen master.

Although Amy is obviously 'sedated', she never misses a cue or a word (while singing).

The included documentary 'I Told You I was Trouble' is a must see.

6. arachnophilia

arachnophilia Forum Resident

yes, that's the only way i've listened to it. the drums sound like they've got some hip-hop influence in the mixing, and occasionally in the arrangement.

indeed. one of the reasons i own amy winehouse's LP and don't even have any stolen mp3s of britney spears. the comparison i was trying to make was on tabloid status outweighing musical status.

7. Saw most of the DVD recently and really enjoyed it. The documentary was great as well.
    I'll be grabbing the 2 disc CD this week for sure!

8. music-is-life

music-is-life New Member

9. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'll pick up both of these releases. She is the best new vocalist in a long while. I played Back To Black for months.

Her persona is original the hair, tattoo's & All. She looks like the type that would steal your dope and help you look for it..:shake:

Sorry her tour was cancelled I bought tickets for SF.

Long may she shine and I hope she finds recovery before...?

10. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Thank you, Mal for the first-hand accounting of the concert and the photo.

"Back to Black" is my favorite album of 2006 & 07 (I bought it when it came out in the UK in October 2006). I am gonna get this DVD first chance I can get my hands on a physcial copy.

This is one of a handful of new albums this year that I have liked enough to played over and over. It is a shame and their loss that people like "bencasey" can't enjoy music for music's sake.

11. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Wow, so you must be wearing out those old Donny And Marie records!

12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

And if people are so offended, why are they checking and posting in an Amy Winehouse thread?

The idea that you have to personally "respect" a musician to enjoy their music is, in my opinion, a very adolescent way of listening to music. It's like people are browsing a singles website instead of a music forum, looking for a potential spouse or someone they would like to imagine being.

The forum obsession with studio trickery, publishing credits, lawsuits, publicity and marketing makes me wonder what people are really listening for: music or fantasy projection.

13. Dave D

Dave D Done!

If I worried about this, I'd have about 10 CD's.

14. do you have the DVD yet? its very good!

15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Although an artist's appearance has little or nothing to do with whether or not I listen to their music, I do have to agree with you on that part. Gross.

16. I purchased the live DVD recently. It's good.

Thanks for the heads up Mal. :thumbsup:

17. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Hi Mal,

happy to see, that someone likes Amy as much as I do :righton:

18. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Well, I love tattoos on women, but that doesn't really change the way I feel about anybody's music. Can we just drop that topic and discuss the music, please??

19. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

I'm just watching this DVD right now, having purchased it during my lunch break.

Very good indeed - I think this might even be better than her records! It's great to see and hear these songs in a 'live performance context'. I think they really shine like this. To be specific it's nice to hear a song like "F*** Me Pumps" played by an actual band!

Thanks for the heads up, Mal! :righton:

20. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Just bought it and ready to play it. Noticed Peter Cobbins at Abbey Road did the audio. I like his work (sorry Mal!)

21. videoman

videoman Senior Member

As if this is anything new? A similar thing could be said (and probably was) about The Beatles first two albums which were at least as much recycles of Buddy Holly/Motown/Everly Brothers as Winehouse's albums are recycled Motown.

22. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I thought the same thing when I first saw The Beatles' haircuts.

23. videoman

videoman Senior Member

While there are certainly some throwback elements to that album, I don't hear it as 'retro'. There's much more of a modern spin thrown in to the music than most of what was going on with most of the retro-swing music.

24. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Up to Back To Black so far. Great band! Awesome bass on the 5.1 mix. Lots of fun to watch......FUN!!! Hey guys, remember when music was fun? Put down your 50 copies of Wish You Were Here and check out a new artist!

25. filper

filper Forum Resident

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.