Amy Winehouse - Back To Black Deluxe Edition - different mastering......

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mal, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up on this, I have a slipcase edition on it's way. :righton:

2. matty j

matty j Forum Resident

My made in Australia jewel case version has the lower volume disc one

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad I got the book version (nice pictures as well) before someone made the brilliant decision to revert to loudness.

I have this album on my iPod. When I have it set to shuffle in the car I often have to raise the volume when a song from Back to Black comes on, and then lower it when it is over. And that is compared to AF and MFSL tracks in the shuffled mix!

4. voigtskins

voigtskins Member

Which disc is the best sounding the Slip disc or the plastic case? I have a chance to buy both so my best choice?

5. voigtskins

voigtskins Member

Please someone steer me in best direction on which disc sounds the BEST.:edthumbs:

6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist Thread Starter

For the EU release, the preferred version of the Deluxe Edition is the one with the slipcase packaging.

However, I suppose it's possible the mastering was switched before the packaging change to super jewel case?

Other territories may vary (eg, see matty's post above).

:)

7. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I bought a "Hong Kong Import Version" that has a quiet disc 1.

I purchased it from an ebay seller - gadgetsjapan for $7.78 + $3.00 shipping to the U.S. Looks like gadgetsjapan sells these on a regular basis.

This was a lot cheaper than the EU Deluxe Edition with slipcase versions that I looked at. It arrived from China within a week. I was surprised at that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170839773441?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Right now, they have 9 available.

8. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Oh, I just sold my Deluxe Edition for big bucks.

9. thermal123

thermal123 Forum Resident

I think that's probably a pirate copy - I got one and the printing and case look very cheap/sub standard. Also when I ripped it there was no match in the accuraterip database which seems a little unlikely.

10. Rens

Rens Well-Known Member

I got the digi-pack / Brilliant Deluxe version from Discogs the other day. 2 discs, Barcode 6 02517 49097 0. The matrix on disc 1 has code 1713041 01, IFPI 04AM, IFPI 0478, made in the UK. On the same disc 1, printed side (which is completly in black, as is the writing) however, it says made in the EU, LC 00407, 171* 304 1, (174 909 7)

Peak levels (as Mal described on page 1):

Track 1 Peak level 47.3 %
    Track 2 Peak level 45.5 %
    Track 3 Peak level 54.5 %
    Track 4 Peak level 43.1 %
    Track 5 Peak level 46.8 %
    Track 6 Peak level 40.9 %
    Track 7 Peak level 47.8 %
    Track 8 Peak level 41.4 %

Track 9 Peak level 40.9 %
    Track 10 Peak level 44.9 %
    Track 11 Peak level 46.8 %

Please comment, because I don.t know what CD it realy is. can someone explain all these diferent codes???

Dino likes this.
  11. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

It looks like you got the "good" version.

Dino likes this.
  12. Rens

Rens Well-Known Member

... but disc 1 is completely black and so is the writing (in high gloss black, where as the disc itself is in matt-black). Disc 2 is matt-black, but with silver-ish writing.

13. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Yeah. So? That's how these discs were manufactured. It also provides a distinction between the album and the bonus disc.
    If you want the bonus disc to have black writing too, you can always use a pen to make it black.

14. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist Thread Starter

Similar to mine (including black text on disc 1).

Differences:

Matrix code includes Mastering SID Code IFPI L136 (opposite the 1713041 code, outside the barcode)

Mould SID code IFPI 0457 (stamped opposite to MADE IN THE UK)

Outer rim text: ... MADE IN THE EU. BIEM/SABAM. LC00407 171 304 1 (174 909 7) [no asterisk]

LC00407 is the UNIVERSAL/ISLAND label code.

171 304 1 is the original UK catalogue number for the album

174 909 7 is the catalogue number for this UK Deluxe Edition

Dino likes this.
  15. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I recently picked up a new edition of this great album (see here for details) - I already have the standard UK edition but it's been in the car for months so I didn't hesitate in getting this new "deluxe edition" [DE] especially since it comes with a bonus CD of great tracks.

I mean, the album itself would just be the same master as the standard edition so there was no point buying it to get a better version of the actual album, right?.......

Wrong!!

I noticed that disc 2 in the DE was much louder than disc 1 when listeing on my boombox in the bathroom the other day but didn't think too much of it at the time - I just figured they had probably mastered the bonus disc even hotter than the album disc. Now, having just loaded them both up on my computer I am astonished to discover that the DE is different to the SE.

Mal

Thanks for starting this thread. I have the original CD but not the Deluxe.

Is it worth buying a Uk vinyl copy - available for around £ 10 - 13 ?

Or is the deluxe CD better ?

I normally prefer vinyl.

Thanks.

16. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Haven't listened to the vinyl recently but iirc it sounded very good. I haven't done a direct comparison though.

17. laugidun

laugidun New Member

Neat to see people still speaking about this deluxe version this year. Iv'e recently found this forum after being a fan of Amy from when Back to Black was released in the States, but embarrassingly didn't appreciate it as much as I do now since I was so young - it's now in my list of favorite albums.

I currently have two deluxe editions on the way. If anyone is still interested I'll post the seller information once they arrive if they are the correct quiet editions.

Dino and panasoffkee like this.
  18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

So which mastering did you get?

19. igbee

igbee Forum Resident

Would anyone with this "lower volume" version be able to post a sample...say of "You Know I'm No Good"? I just did a needledrop of the UK vinyl and I still hear a lot of crackling around the vocals in this song. Here is that song from my needledrop as well as an attempt I did to declip and reEQ the original CD mastering. If there is something better out there, I'd track it down.

Needledrop
    Dropbox - You know vinyl sample.flac »
    Declip:
    Dropbox - You know declip sample.flac »

20. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

A word of warning. I purchased a sealed copy of the deluxe edition with all the indications stated in this thread (black box edition, barcode in bottom right hand corner, etc) and it was still the normal mastering. So they must have switched back at some point even with this edition.

Fortunately, I purchased a second copy with the secret mastering and it is indeed much better sounding. The matrix information is very similar to that stated by Mal so I would presume this is the only way you can determine which version you have (without listening to it, of course).

Some people like DR values so this is how the secret mastering measures using the TT Dynamic Range Meter:

DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR8 -6.59 dB -15.95 dB 01 AMY WINEHOUSE - Rehab.wav
    DR8 -6.87 dB -16.35 dB 02 AMY WINEHOUSE - You Know I'm No Good.wav
    DR11 -5.50 dB -17.87 dB 03 AMY WINEHOUSE - Me & Mr. Jones.wav
    DR10 -7.35 dB -18.57 dB 04 AMY WINEHOUSE - Just Friends.wav
    DR8 -6.73 dB -17.31 dB 05 AMY WINEHOUSE - Back To Black.wav
    DR8 -7.77 dB -17.93 dB 06 AMY WINEHOUSE - Love Is A Losing Game.wav
    DR9 -6.80 dB -16.73 dB 07 AMY WINEHOUSE - Tears Dry On Their Own.wav
    DR8 -7.90 dB -17.26 dB 08 AMY WINEHOUSE - Wake Up Alone.wav
    DR10 -7.77 dB -18.74 dB 09 AMY WINEHOUSE - Some Unholy War.wav
    DR9 -6.98 dB -17.29 dB 10 AMY WINEHOUSE - He Can Only Hold Her.wav
    DR10 -6.80 dB -17.35 dB 11 AMY WINEHOUSE - Addicted.wav
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of files: 11
    Official DR value: DR9

==============================================================================================

tmtomh and Sean Murdock like this.
  21. Sylvaincheuh

Sylvaincheuh Well-Known Member

Hello there

Just my 2 cents on this (on my top 10 records of all time) :

Both versions are available on Tidal.
    Listening in HiFi mode the deluxe set (black cover) has softer mastering than the UK version.

The deluxe set is clearly a winner quality wise...still i prefer the uk one on earbuds and noisy places

22. thermal123

thermal123 Forum Resident

These are the peaks for the version I bought from from Hong Kong :

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR8 -6.49 dB -15.96 dB 3:35 01-Rehab
    DR8 -6.84 dB -16.35 dB 4:17 02-You Know I'm No Good
    DR11 -5.27 dB -17.79 dB 2:33 03-Me & Mr Jones
    DR10 -7.30 dB -18.57 dB 3:13 04-Just Friends
    DR8 -6.59 dB -17.31 dB 4:01 05-Back To Black
    DR8 -7.75 dB -17.94 dB 2:35 06-Love Is A Losing Game
    DR9 -6.41 dB -16.71 dB 3:06 07-Tears Dry On Their Own
    DR8 -7.66 dB -17.18 dB 3:42 08-Wake Up Alone
    DR10 -7.75 dB -18.75 dB 2:23 09-Some Unholy War
    DR9 -6.94 dB -17.29 dB 2:46 10-He Can Only Hold Her
    DR10 -6.58 dB -17.27 dB 2:45 11-Addicted
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of tracks: 11
    Official DR value: DR9

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.