Amy Winehouse - Back To Black Deluxe Edition - different mastering......

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mal, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I think we've embraced her more, as we did with Supertramp and other bands in the past. I think her image ( judging by some of the posts here) scares off the more conservative US market.

2. filper

filper Forum Resident

Looks like I'm off to BB on Saturday....

I saw a bunch on a cart last week, but I was curious about the mastering. I'm in.

3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I recall her album being in the Top Ten here in the conservative ol' U.S. of A. for a good chunk of the year, so I think she's been fairly well embraced. :thumbsup: Too bad the Hollywood writers strike caused the cancellation of her "Saturday Night Live" appearance a couple of weeks ago -- it might have given her album (and her recent image) a boost.

4. louisville

louisville Peel Slowly and See

Careful, Best Buy has a Deluxe Version that contains the album and a bonus DVD (here in the US; I can't speak for our neighbors to the north), but there is a deluxe 2-CD version (from the UK, but apparently available in Canada) as well. The one being commented on by Mal, Dave, and others is the 2-CD version, I haven't seen any comments on the Best Buy CD w/bonus DVD version.

I'm still waiting on mine from amazon.co.uk.

5. louisville

Regarding the 2 CD Deluxe Edition being released in the UK and Canada, but not in the US:
    I don't disagree with Dave D's post at all, but I think the US record label is just trying to promote/sell the debut album now (1st time released in the US a couple of weeks ago) and will no doubt find time to promote a deluxe edition of "Back To Black" somewhere down the road.

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Right, but I said we embraced her MORE.:D

7. filper

filper Forum Resident

I bought a copy yesterday... In addition to the sonic improvement over the standard release, the packaging is a work of art. A quality manufacturing job for sure.

Definitely worth the $20 it cost me at BB.

I feel sorry for the generation who only downloads.

8. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

The mastering on the first disc is better than the standard CD, which is great, but for me it's the second disc that makes this worth upgrading to. The Specials covers, Sam Cooke as reggae cover, and solo tracks are outstanding.

9. filper

filper Forum Resident

Absolutely !

10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist Thread Starter

:agree:

The reason I bought it was to get the bonus disc - the mastering mistake on the first disc is a fantastic extra feature though :cool:

11. whiskerbiscuit

whiskerbiscuit Forum Resident

I bought the wrong one at BB here in the US. Kept the receipt and haven't opened it yet, so I have options - it may be worth it for the bonus DVD alone.

Off to the amazon in the great white north for the version Mal recommended - I loved the "Monkey Man" encore on the Live in London DVD so this limited edition cd is a must have for me.

Thanks, Mal!

12. onebit

onebit Forum Resident

It's rare when a bonus disc contains a mini-album of killer tunes! I could listen to this disc all day - and I love how you get to hear Amy's voice in the raw (in a less produced setting than Back To Black) - simply beautiful!

13. whiskerbiscuit

Yep, I agree - that's pretty much why I'm getting this (and because of the other positive comments). Heck, I must have nearly every version now. Next will probably be the Deluxe Double LP vinyl edition....one can only hope. :righton:

Amazon.ca would've cost me about $34 shipped - I found it on ebay through a Canadian ebayer and got it for $26 shipped. It better be the right one this time!

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

The best album in years just got better with the bonus disc.

Thanks Mal!:righton:

15. filper

filper Forum Resident

On Amy's 'I Told You I was Trouble' DVD, the documentary portion has a solo (only guitar accompanyment) performance of "Love Is A Losing Game"... it's brilliant. I hope there is more footage of that gig.

16. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I see the 'box' has now been replaced with a jewel case package instead, at least here in the UK. I've no idea whether the mastering has been changed at the same time. Anyone?

17. louisville

I got mine from Amazon.co.uk in the mail yesterday, and this release is truly a treat. Glad I picked it up before a packaging change, as the box, booklet, and all are truly beautiful.

There isn't a bad cut at all on the bonus disc, though the improper tracklisting through me for a small loop. I got over it very quickly.

I would recommend turning the volume down after listening to disc one before playing disc two however...

And now I own the song "Addicted". Great set, great recommendation, Mal!

Dave in Canada - was "Addicted" on the original Canadian release or is this a UK only release up until now?

Steve In Louisville

18. filper

filper Forum Resident

Dave, if I may.... Steve, no.

19. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Thanks,filper..... and I wish someone would tell us why. Great song!

20. whiskerbiscuit

The one I'm getting is apparently a digipak. I've seen pictures of other for sale that are also digipaks - the tracklistings are all the same. Am I getting the "right" one?

Dang, I'm getting a little anxiety attack. I hope someone can chime in on this and the mastering question by Willowman. TIA.

21. louisville

Regarding whether "Addicted" had been released in Canada prior to the Deluxe Edition:

Thanks, filper!

It is a great song, and it's too bad that the North American labels decided not to use it. Anybody ever hear any official word why not?

22. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I guess ten songs that mention drug and alcohol abuse was OK, but 11 was too much! ;)

(Disclaimer: I know that isn't literally true, and I love the album!)

23. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

hmm, thinking of buying this one for my girlfriend because she loves AW but doesn't own any of her albums. What's the "right" one to look for? :help:

24. AerosSaga

AerosSaga Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up Hoffmanites, just purchased the deluxe edition from Amazon.ca.

25. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.