American Idol Season/Series 10, 2011 discussion - ***possible spoilers***

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ivan_wemple, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

Sure she looks great, but she needs to get a personality of her own on the show. to date, Steven Tyler has sung, flirted, teased, hugged, laughed, added some umph to the show.
    What has Jlo done other then sit there and look good? (not that it's a bad thing) I thought for sure she would have join in on a song or two or at least offered some expertise or some construtive thoughts to the contestants.

Tyler has a personality and you can't teach someone that!

We will see how tonight's show goes.

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The show does have a lighter air since Simon went bye-bye. Tyler has been great and JLO has been sweet. The Dawg has been the real critic at this point.

I'm enjoying the season so far.

3. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

The show is fun this year. Can you imagine last year's judges bursting into song with the contestants, or dancing around with the last contestant in Austin as he played his melodica--that would have been at best, awkward.

Tyler and Lopez seem to know music, much more obviously than some of the judges of the past. I loved Tyler's reference to Vanilla Fudge's "Eleanor Rigby" last week. Simon really didn't know his music history that well--he criticized Lee Dewyze's performance of "The Letter" as lounge, without realizing that it was a note for note recreation of the version on Joe Cocker's "Mad Dogs and Englishmen". I think that Tyler knows his pop and rock music history.

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Loved that opening last night when a kid walked in and is name was Bob Puck, so Tyler says guess what that ryhmes with? and the kid says "duck"? And Tyler says......"read my lips". :D

5. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

Another good episode last night, Jlo is starting to loosen up a bit.

6. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Newsflash: She can't sing. ;)

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah I think Simon only really knew popular pop stuff or really obvious famous artists that might not have been pop say Ella Fitzgerald but he would not really had known the version of a song or what have you. His knowledge was limited.

Eddie

8. Hot Ptah

I loved Steven Tyler's response to the first contestant in Los Angeles: "You're going to Siberia!" I laughed out loud.

Tyler is smarter, more spontaneous and more humorous than many of the past judges. I had wondered how he would fit into the show, but he's a natural at this.

9. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I'm actually finding myself getting bored this season. There have been a couple of good singers who've made it through, but most of the ones they've given screen time to and highly praised haven't impressed me much. The relative paucity of embarrassingly awful auditions doesn't help since there's little comic relief to help make it through all of the mediocre talent getting through based on sob stories or, in some cases, literally sobbing in front of the judges.

10. Hot Ptah

The contestants on the Los Angeles audition show were particularly dull as a group, I thought--except for the guy who was an independent music producer. He was weird enough to be interesting.

Well, also the 59 year old guy from Arkansas, but he was so out there that I wondered if he was a fake weirdo conceived for television, or at least coached on how to act weird in front of the camera.

11. Hot Ptah

Re the auditions in San Francisco: Did anyone identify the old blues song which the young woman with the old timey style played on her guitar? It was familiar but over so quickly that I could not figure out which song it was.

I don't think that she will get very far, but I enjoyed hearing a blues song from the late 1920s/early 1930s played on an acoustic guitar on American Idol.

12. zen

zen Senior Member

I'm bored with all these sob stories. :o

I'm not absolutely sure, but when Kelly Clarkson won American Idol, nobody knew her apartment had just burned down and she was living out of her car prior to winning. She won it, based on singing, not cause people felt sorry for her.

13. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

14. zen

zen Senior Member

Good tip. My wife does that trick, but she still likes some of these sob stories...to some extent.

15. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

16. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

There seems to zero buzz this year....I hear noone talking about it in public, on tv, or radio ...In years past, you could never get away from the hype..

17. That was Emily Anne Reed and I think the last song with the guitar was the beginning of her version of Honey Babe Blues.

18. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Not only have ratings declined year after year for the past few seasons, but I personally know many people who used to watch the show who no longer do. Five seasons ago there were many people where I work who watched the show and talked about it the following morning. As far as I know, I'm the only one who still watches.

19. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i'm watching. no opinon yet.

20. Vinyl-Addict

They don't show a lot of the better singers. They reveal them in Hollywood week. A lot of these contestants already sing better than Katy Perry and Taylor Swift. :laugh:

21. Hot Ptah

This has not been my experience. The people I know are more excited about the show than they have been in years.

Of course, this is all anecdotal information, from both of us, based on small numbers of people.

22. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

True. But he is correct in that the ratings have been declining year on year.

24. Vinyl-Addict

25. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Another sob story.

If that's the best she can sing, call me unimpressed. Too affected. I also agree with Steven Tyler -- she was too far off melody and needs more work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.