American Idol Season/Series 10, 2011 discussion - ***possible spoilers***

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ivan_wemple, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I think the guy would have made it through without the sob story since he sang fairly well, so I don't think it matters. There have been a few others who have made it through this season by pleading and sobbing who really had no business going further, one of them being the girl who sang "True Colors."

2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I agree that Steven Tyler is coming across better than I anticipated, though at times he is coming across a bit too much like a dirty old man. Not that I think there's anything wrong with admiring a younger person's beauty, but it's a bit creepy when he starts making specific references about finding a girl under the age of 18 attractive.

3. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I think this year's show, while maybe a little more tame, is also more pleasant. They don't soft-pedal the singers who really stink, and sometimes it seems some contestants who are mediocre they go crazy for, but AI is definitely a different show this year, and for the better. It seems there are a lot of good vibes. I don't miss Cowell; he seemed to be a one-trick pony in retrospect. His personality, when compared to Lopez and Tyler, was bland as toast when he wasn't being nasty. The judges seem to be having fun and it's a nice ride, even if it doesn't last longer than this year.

By the way, did anyone else catch that they played an Avett Brothers song under the last contestant's back story segment? A whole two minutes nonetheless!! Very cool, AI. :righton:

4. zen

zen Senior Member

You mean the let's cut the crap and be honest attitude?

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I thought at one point he might have to be restrained! :laugh:

6. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

I am going to keep watching, Steve..... ummmmmm I mean Steven (lol) is turning out to be great. Jlo is getting a little better and Randy seems to be taking a little more of a hard nose stand.
    I was unsure of what side he was going to play, good cop/bad cop; lookingl ike bad cop as the other thow are good cop.

Looking forward to future shows.

7. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

Is this the one her parents said was ill but did not elaborate?

8. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

Randy seems to be playing the elder statesman now. No more "pitchy" comments, no more "dog pound", he appears to have matured a bit this season.

9. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I mean in the sense that Simon got a piece of the product. Simon was just as concerned with looks, age, potential commercial appeal, "the whole package" as he was with whether the person could sing or not. It was a very smart move, get a piece of the singer America voted as their favorite. But there were some cases where his comments were blatantly biased, even to the point of trying to sway the voting towards the one he felt he could package and make the most profit on. I'm glad that element is gone from the show.

10. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Why not? I thought she had a really intriguing voice - one of the few interesting and unique voices of the bunch so far. She may need some coaching but that doesn't mean she won't pick it up quickly. She seemed like the type that would front an indie band and could do very well. Maybe that's not the AI thing, but there's no reason she can't have a moment out there to show what's she's got. There are enough r&b belters on this show. A little variety will not hurt.

11. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Her mom said "she's sick." I think she literally meant "sick" as in, "has a cold" or something, not "has a terminal disease," if that's what you're saying.

12. [​IMG]

While Stormi is eye candy, the voice was indeed tiny. I think Jlo was a bit miffed at the boys.

13. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Why not? Because she's not ready and I doubt she'll be ready by the time she has to work hard in Hollywood. (I guess that part of the competition has already happened, though, so maybe that should be past tense?) Yes, she had an interesting quality to her voice, but as Randy initially said and Jennifer echo'd, the girl is likely to get chewed up in Hollywood. She'd be better off practicing on her own and trying out again next season.

14. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Are you not watching this season? I don't know the details of the other judges' deals with the show, but we're still hearing plenty of comments on contestants' potential future success based on not only voice but also looks, personality, stage presence, etc. Both Steven and Jennifer have made such comments on a number of contestants already. I don't generally think Simon attempted to hype anyone simply because he thought they had an image that could go over; if anything, I think that sometimes he favored less marketable people who simply sang better.

15. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I quite like the show so far. Usually my wife tunes into it and I leave the room but like others on here I think the judges are gelling.

16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Nothing has really changed with respect to being concerned about looks, age, potential commercial appeal, etc. I think you are just choosing to ignore it. It is still there and will always be there. It's part of the show.

The whole point of this show is to find someone with the whole package and make money. So clearly the judges are going to be told that they need to find someone that can meet that objective.

Each judge argues their point and in a way are trying to sway votes. If Simon or anyone else liked someone and the others didn't I see no big with anyone makeing points to convince others.

I think you just don't like Simon which is fair enough.

Eddie

17. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The last 15 year old girl that performed really impressed. She could go far.

18. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I agree. Most impressive audition they've shown us this season. Of course, sometimes people are really great during the auditions and then just okay as the weeks go by, such as Paris Bennett.

19. cooper16

cooper16 Forum Resident

My favorite so far was the girl that Randy accidentally smacked in the face as he was running the gauntlet. She was cute, funny, had a great voice, is an Ivy League grad and an intern at the White House but she has no chance of winning because America will never vote for someone that successful. :shh:

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

That was a funny clip. She seemed to have a good attitude about it. But was she the one where they said her voice was weak as in not that big/loud?

Underdogs do get an easier ride. But to be fair it's the same in most countries!

Eddie

21. Great attitude and pretty gifted all around, but not good enough to make it to the finals IMO.

22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

23. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Seems like a silly tabloid article. The alleged conflict was probably merely fabricated in order to have something to write about.

24. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I'll listen to who ever I have more cds of but like Miles said, my eyes are on her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.