American Idol Season/Series 10, 2011 discussion - ***possible spoilers*** (Part2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I never was a Haley fan...the screaming really grated on me. Her song choices were always good, but "You Ought To Know" exposed her range. All high end with no bottom.

The look on her face was priceless when the results were announced. Just dumbfounded that American didn't like her. Avoiding the hug from Lauren didn't win any points with me. Absolutely no class what so ever. I'm glad she's gone.

2. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

:thumbsup:

3. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I watched that part of the show again. When the result is announced, Lauren looked like a five year old kid who has just come down on Christmas morning to see all the presents that Santa has left, and lunged for Haley, not giving Haley a moment to collect herself. It looked to me like Haley was too stunned to return the bear hug.

4. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Yep Lauren went for the hug too soon. Really why would the winner hug the one who lost, it's usually done the other way around.

Another colossal failure from American Idol. I hate this show now. Lauren has a much business being in the final two as Diane DeGarmo did. I did love Haley's last performance, hilarious. She's cool, great voice, brings her father on stage, sings Led Zeppelin, in short, way too good for what Idol truly represents.

5. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I think no hug because they were both so surprised. I didn't see much in it really.

6. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I liked Haley in the fact that she was at least interesting. She also had a pretty original voice (which was good or not so good). Sort of like James too. I usually looked forward to what those 2 were going to do (and earlier Casey as well).

Lauren has been quite solid (and technically a better singer than Haley) but just isn't someone who I would picture being able to pick out from all the rest when she gets on the radio.
    Scotty does nothing for me-a little too much "hey look how charming I am." Hard to explain.

7. RDK

RDK Active Member

Wow, that's offensive, and I don't even like country music. :rolleyes:

8. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

Pia should be in the final with James. They were the best two singers (IMHO of course).

9. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

The finale should be a real hoot, a good old country hoedown. I'm thinking Brad Paisley will be a guest, perhaps Cary Underwood, maybe Merle Haggard will show up, can't wait. Break out the popcorn. Wake me up when it's over. :laugh:

10. timw

timw Senior Member

....Might be a good time for Conway Twitty to show up also! :D

Attached Files:

11. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I just finished watching the past two weeks' shows. Haley really butchered that Michael Jackson song and I'm surprised she was safe that week, but I suppose her version of "I Who Have Nothing" redeemed her, though I thought it was just okay.

I'm actually hoping that Lauren wins -- not because I think I'd ever be interested in buying any music she makes but because I think she's the best singer remaining. I actually think Pia should have won this season (based on her performances up to the point she left the show, and the few performances I have seen since that time on other shows), but clearly AI voters didn't agree.

12. I was just thinking about that this morning. On pure vocal talent, the semi-final show last evening, should have featured James, Pia and Haley with Pia and James or Haley and James going to the finale.

13. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I'll agree on Pia, I'm not even a fan of her vocal style but her elimination was unjust, but James was really not all that good - he wowed on range but not on quality of voice. To use Randy's old term, he was pitchy, dawg. REAL pitchy. If Simon was there, he would have been called out on that, and I'm surprised Randy didn't at least call him out as often as it happened.

Personally, I think James sounded like a reject from 80s hard rock cover bands. Many times I heard him sing I felt like he should try out for a Skid Row tribute. And I have nothing against 80s rock. I just don't think he's very good.

I think it's very unfortunate Haley's gone. I think she at least offered something interesting against "two sides of the same coin." Lauren is too young - she has some nice tones but has some growing up to do before she truly settles into her real voice, likewise for Scotty but less so. His voice is going to do some maturing even after this, and he just plain needs to get some maturity under his belt. I think he's the clear winner, but next week's show is going to be a SNOOZER.

14. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I agree, they were my two favorites.

15. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I just downloaded the studio version of Haley's Zeppelin cover (the first time I have ever been moved to want a recording from AI since Nadia Turner doing "Power Of Love" years ago). If Haley puts out an album that sounds like that, I want it! I actually like her vocal better than Plant's version.

:edthumbs:

I hope Scotty wipes the floor with votes over Lauren, or if she does win that she fades into the woodwork like Taylor Hicks, et all have done.

And lastly I find it very amusing and reaffirming that year after year I have the exact opposite viewpoint on contestants with the exact same people here.

16. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I can hear Ryan Seacrest now, "...Ladies and Gentleman, Zombie Conway Twitty..."

17. shokhead

Why would you want that for Lauren, a 15 year old?

18. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

She's 16 now. ;)

19. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Not surprising, right? Different people are looking/listening for different things.

20. applebonkerz

Because I'm so tired of bland dime-a-dozen people being promoted as something great when they are simply bland. They are taking air time/shelf space/contracts away from people that are actually interesting/different/moving. If enough of them end up being flops, maybe it will shake-up the status quo. It's not so much wanting that for Lauren as a person because I have something against her--she's an impressionable kid who is just feeding into what she is being overly showered with. It's because of what she represents, and because of the overly phony praise heaped on her.

21. applebonkerz

Not too surprising, no. It just seems that sometime if only for odds sake, there might be some common overlap. With you and I, it's pretty black and white though.
    :wave:

22. shokhead

Everything you said all falls true if the public buys whatever she does. I don't she her taking anything from anybody. She's not any worst then half the stuff that gets air play, imo of course.

23. applebonkerz

And a beige wall isn't any worse than an off-white one, but it makes for a pretty boring neighborhood when every house looks just like the next. People buy them though.

Any record company only has a certain amount of money they are going to split up and use on signing, recording and promoting people. Anyone, no matter who it is (unless they are fronting the money themselves), that puts out a boring beige album, has to be taking away an opportunity from someone else IMO.

24. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Yep. And even some of your comments explain that dichotomy. For example, I have no problem with a "beige" singer winning American Idol. In fact, I'd prefer that if the alternative is someone who is allegedly "interesting" who just cannot sing very well. Now, if Haley had a unique character to her voice or particularly captivating phrasing, I wouldn't be championing beige over her, but to my ears Haley just doesn't have much talent. She's better than some of Idol's worst, for sure, but I find most of her performances irritating. Time will tell, however, whether the music buying public think she's worthy of success. When you get as far as she did on Idol, you can obviously have a very successful career even if you subsequently make music people want to hear.

25. shokhead

Those walls change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.