American Idol 2008 discussion - ***possible spoilers***

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Correct...

2. Michael

yes, with a small child television viewing can be critical...

I've been a TV fan since the late 50's...I'm in heavenly bliss when I'm watching an episode of the Munsters, Lost In Space, Leave it To Beaver, My Favorite Martian, The Addams family, The Honeymooners, The Waltons, Little Rascals, the Odd Couple, Twilight Zone, One Step Beyond, Outer Limits, Cheyenne, Rawhide, Wyatt Earp, Gomer Pyle, In Living Color, The Flip Wilson Show, Good Times, Sanford and Son, Maude, Jeffersons, Family Affair, Checkmate, Tate, The Tall Man, Bonanza, Wagon train, The Fugitive, Route 66, Andy Griffith Show, The Rifleman, Jack Benny, Burns & Allen, Meet Corliss Archer, Life With Elizabeth, A Date With Angel, Mary Hartman, Mary hartman, Hazel, Bilko, Dick Van Dyke, Top cat, Yogi Bear, Casper, Felix, Huckleberry Hound, The Uncle Floyd Show, I Married Joan, Gilligan's Island, Kung Fu, My Three Sons, The real McCoys, The Abbott & Costello Show, The Three Stooges, Howdy Doody, Soupy Sales, Land Of The Giants, Wild Wild West, Little House On the Prairie, and gang of others.:)

I guess I love TV!

3. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

What was up with some of the auditions this evening? Do these early rounds get weirder every year or is just my gf and me? Those contestants as she said, should be certified and locked up. :eek:

4. Michael

...most likely they are for footage to be used to "mock out the contestants" shows they run during the year...

I'm curious who will Jimmie the Kimmel choose to put on his show after the injustices of Simon? I'm sure he'll milk it dry with the writers strike and all...There is money in all of AI...

...plenty to go around for all.:agree:

5. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Fun show last night right from my home town area. Thought that tossing in two "tug on the heart strings" stories was a bit much but you gotta love the heavy girl's story. But by far my favorite was the guy who said he was like Paul Robeson and Eddie Vedder. Mmmmhhhhmmm.

6. phish

phish Jack Your Body

the best comment was by the girl standing behind the egyptian (?) contestant that was second in front of the judges.....

she asked him.... do you have children?
    he said............. i'm not married?

what she said after that cracked me up. i wish i could remember the exact words and the missus erased it on the dvr after we watched it.

7. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I was rolling with that guy.

8. LET-MY-PPL GOOOOOAH! :biglaugh:

9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Star Wars girl was a laugh. She must be a big hit at sci-fi conventions. :D

10. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

How about that guy that was singing to Abdul something like " we will watch Columbo and i will Peter Falk you ....."

11. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I kept thinking he was a Howard Stern plant but they it just ended up seeming creepy. Good stuff.

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

What about the creepy glitter girl?

"I'm going to go into actressing. Take it Simon! Take it! Take it!"

I would've laughed if I didn't think she had some mental health issues. :sigh:

13. I dunno; assuming they're not planted by AI producers to try and generate press/comment/ratings, I lean toward thinking that they shouldn't be broadcasting the obvious attention-seekers who know they don't have a chance and only want to be on TV, like this guy and the Kevin Smith lookalike in the Princess Leia slavegirl getup who got the wax job (the horror...). Televising them only encourages them, and it's the sincere hopefuls who are the funniest.

14. shokhead

I lean toward thinking that they shouldn't be broadcasting the obvious attention-seekers who know they don't have a chance and only want to be on TV,

But thats part of what is funny.

15. I generally don't think they're that funny, though I suppose I'm in the minority. I like the ones whose ambitions outstrip their talent by a 100,000:1 ratio, who are convinced they're great and then go in and bellyflop. I mean, that guy who "sang" Paul Robeson was funnier than any of the attention-getters! Man, I was on the floor when he was auditioning; I couldn't believe he was serious, or that he wasn't retarded.

16. shokhead

who are convinced they're great and then go in and bellyflop.
    They are more funny.

17. RDK

RDK Active Member

The producers screen all the contestants first, putting through the good ones, the worst bad ones, and a few of the funniest/oddest attention seekers. It'd be pretty dull without the obvious goofballs imo.

These early rounds are a psychological field day, and I actually find them intensely fascinating. Some are poor deluded souls, others just doing it for the kicks, but the most interesting are those like Star Wars girl, who seemed genuinely deluded about her singing abilities but also was determined to make some sort of statement about conformity and the nerd mentality. A few have obvious (though mostly minor) mental problems.

18. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

I think it went, "She's Columbo, and I will Peter Falk her!" :biglaugh: Essentially, the end of every verse had to rhyme with "Stalker."

Overall, a very entertaining episode. I'm betting the Egyptian guy is a comedian pulling a "Borat." "I would like to sing a song by Mr. the Bee Gees." Classic.

19. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

yeah, that Peter Faulk rap was classic!

I figure the guy is a comedian.

20. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Good point. I wonder if Philly was too normal... shocking though that statement may be for those of us who live and work here.

21. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m5VD4I27-w

22. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

23. RBtl

RBtl Forum Resident

"If she was a bathtub I would caulk her" had me rolling on the floor. Did I hear them say he was from Toronto? :o

24. shokhead

25. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

Is anyone watching this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.