Amazon had insane prices on many boxsets*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

All kidding aside, I'll trade the Floyd straight up for the Genesis 1976-1982: by the time I clicked on that one, it was back to $100+.

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The first thing I did when I logged on was to search for the recent complete Led Zeppelin SHM set - sadly, it was still at $145 or something like that.

3. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The status of one of my orders says:

"We are preparing these items for shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed. "'

Promising.

4. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

That's why I choose next day shipping on my Doors box.

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It is very likely that they will ship the sets that are in stock. They don't stock deeply on this stuff, so mostly that means the first few people who ordered each title. After that...chances are cancellation, but with Amazon anything is possible.

And I'll reiterate what I said before: I have been around the block with Amazon through dozens, if not hundreds of "is that a price mistake" deals. From my experience, I'd say this one has a decent (though hardly certain) chance. The reason I say this is that they imposed a limit of 3 copies per title on most of the sale items. They don't automatically do that...and if you check, the limit has been lifted now that the prices are back.

On the other hand, it seems unlikely that they'd backorder stuff at these prices.

So there's a chance, but it's hardly a sure shot.

Some of my stuff is showing as being prepared for shipment...

6. Jay F

Jay F New Member

They were partying today.

7. I have to believe someone at Amazon made a costly pricing error, possibly a programming mistake for an intended future sale. I can not believe I missed out on this though. The Pink Floyd set alone is a crazy deal.

8. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

:yikes:

You guys are so lucky!! What a deal on these box sets. I totally missed the boat.

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Yes they were. 'Tis the season for big companies to report 3Q results.

Amazon stock rose $25.04 today (!!), closing at a record high of $118.49 per share and beating the previous high from TEN years ago. That's nearly $11 billion increase in market cap today.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/10/23/news/companies/Amazon/?postversion=2009102318

10. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

I ordered 2 Pink Floyd, 1 Queen "Crown Jewels", and Doors "Perception". Got a confirmation email with ship dates in November. I hope it's legit...

11. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Here is what I got comfirmation for

"Oh, by the Way (Mini LP Replica)"
    Pink Floyd; Audio CD; $23.97

"Genesis 1976-1982"
    Genesis; Audio CD; $13.97

"Perception"
    The Doors; Audio CD; $13.97

Genesis Box Set 3 (1970-1975)[13 Disc Set]"
    Genesis; Audio CD; $13.97

"Carry It On"
    Peter Paul & Mary; Audio CD; $19.97

"The Life & Crimes of Alice Cooper"
    Alice Cooper; Audio CD; $19.97

12. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Anyone fancy trading their spare Doors - Perception CD/DVD box set for my spare Genesis 83/98 CD/DVD box?

Assuming we all get what we paid for, of course!

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Let's keep offers for trades in the Classifieds section, thanks.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Order confirmations don't mean anything here. You will always get the confirmation. Until you get a shipping notice...don't expect anything.

15. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

You may be right. If they had clearance items they were trying to get rid of they'd ship immediately. Two of mine are due in a few days, but the rest say November.

16. CD Heaven West

CD Heaven West Active Member

I checked in here today just after 5PM and when I saw the orginal message about these deals I imediately logged on to Amazon and was able to get the Pink Floyd, Doors Perception and Genesis Boxes but my confirmation from Amazon says they'll ship in November so I hope I get them. This was truly an amazing deal and if it wasn't for being a member here, I never would have heard about this. It's just another reason why this place is THE BEST place on the web.
    Bruce

17. bw

bw Forum Resident

I have to guess that they had a set number of these to sell at the low price. I tried to get Consecration and it was already up to regular price. I'm guessing that it was gone by the time I tried. At one point it was at $23, but when it hit my cart it was regular.

I did get the Complete Fantasy Recordings of Bill Evans, which I have been wanting for a long time. Also got the Complete Wes Montgomery.

Let's hope these come through. Intense shopping!

18. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

I think I might cry now. Missed everything, and I was home all day. Decided to take a nap.

19. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

I managed to get in on the incredible BMG deals a while back, but of all nights to decide to cut the grass instead of checking the forum....

If anyone wants to trade a Floyd box for a Zeppelin box, or a Doors box, or an Allman Brothers box, or a Cream box, or a Queensryche box, or A Beach Boys box, or a Kiss Alive box, or a Coltrane Impulse box, or a Clifford Brown box, or some Derek and the Dominoes SACD's, or some Elton John SACD's, or some Carpenters SACD's or some cobination thereof, all sealed....

20. GuruAskew

GuruAskew Forum Resident

I'm confident that Amazon.com will make good on this and I'm still practically on a bargain-hunter's high. This is like the haul of a lifetime. I got all 3 Genesis sets and the Floyd, Doors and Queen boxes.

I've been wanting to take the Floyd and Genesis/Gabriel leap for a while now (and I wasn't even planning on buying the post-Gabriel boxes) and with 14 of the 15 Genesis albums on their way I took the plunge on the 2-disc import of "From Genesis to Revelation" on Amazon.com.

On its own $30 for an import with a full second disc doesn't even make me blink but you can't help but see some humor in the pricing of that vs. the subsequent box sets.

Also, as someone hoping to invest in only Gabriel-era Genesis I was frustrated that the new live box saddled his one live album with the Collins-era stuff but now I don't mind so much.

It's almost scary to think that I could have easily missed this sale. If I'd checked any other website when I had a couple minutes to spare I would have missed it. I truly feel bad for everyone who didn't get in on it.

21. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

How bad?

Sharing bad? ;)

22. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

Seconded :laugh:

23. bob338

bob338 Forum Resident

i just checked on my order for 3 pink floyd boxes and it has been changed to a quantity of just one. maybe they are going to honor the price, but for only one each...

anyone else?

24. Same here.... I had 3 ordered, but quantity now shows 1.

Dang.

Brian

25. RDK

RDK Active Member

Same here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.