Allman Bros: Ultimate "Fillmore East"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ACK!, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I have some sbd tapes of the runs they used for teh "F.E." sets, and no horns on any of them. It is cool to hear where they did some edits though, like Ace Doucette's harp solo on "Stormy Monday", 3/13/71. I think they restored it on the "The Fillmore Concerts". And the guy yelling "Play all night!" was edited from a different performance...

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi all,

For me it is the Capricorn era WB distributed vinyl for Stereo. The SACD is OK but a different balance. I love the DTS of this. The Quad mix was good.

3. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member Thread Starter

Back in the summer of '97, Polygram took out a full page ad in Billboard that listed a bunch of remaster projects on the horizon. Two things mentioned were a Duane Allman box set and an Allman Brothers box of unreleased live material. Don't know if that would've included Fillmore East outtakes as neither box was ever released.

4. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Yeah, I seem to recall Bill Levenson of Polygram talking about a box set of Duane's studio work. And I would certainly like to see an Allman Brothers counterpart to the Eric Clapton Crossroads 2 box set (just as I'd like to see a collection of Eric Clapton's studio work for other musicians).

Of course, the Allman Brother's have released their own series of archival releases, so between those, the various Fillmore East collections, the Atlanta Pop set and Ludlow Garage, the live performances of the original Allman Brothers line-up have been pretty well chronicled. Still, I wouldn't hestitate to plunk down some $$$$ on a Complete Fillmore East box set.

5. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

Would've been great on both accounts (DA and ABB). That's too bad. How many other projects in that ad didn't make it further than that?

6. ACK!

I don't have the ad, so I don't remember, really. It referenced other acts as well, including some CDs that did come out, such as Gregg Allman's now out-of-print One More Try: An Anthology.

7. ACK!

When DTS began issuing their surround CDs, I thought I read somewhere that all their releases derived from quad masters were "tweaked" for 5.1. Haven't listened to this one in a while, so I'll have to dig it out.

I recently read that the the new 5.1 mix for the At Fillmore East SACD has mainly reverb and audience in the back speakers. If that's the case, then give me the DTS anyday. What's the point in having rear surrounds if you're not going to use them??

8. whotony

whotony Forum Resident

i have the fllmore with 12 songs and have been looking at the newer deluxe version with the 13 songs.
    but i've also noticed that track listing have different times.
    many on the deluxe have shhorter songs then the 12 track version.

anyone have any thoughts on this.
    why are the songs shorter on the deluxe.
    or is this just an error on the listing.

9. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

I love the original LP (pink label of course) and I enjoy The Fillmore Concerts as it was a chance to hear "Whipping Post" and "Mountain Jam" back to back from these shows. I do not have the Deluxe Edition, but would like to hear it. Don't have the MFSL, still hunting that one down.

I do have the quad version as a DTS Music Disc, which I bought on eBay. I've played this album for years, but what I liked about it was that it felt like the band were in the front, with the drums dead center. The guitars were in the back, so to be able to hear Duane Allman and Dickey Betts during "Whipping Post" and "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed" was amazing. What I also liked was being able to hear Gregg Allman play a bit more clearly. If there was a way for the quad mix to be upgraded to a DVD-A or SACD, that would be awesome. :agree:

EDIT: I just realized I replied in this thread last year. :help:

10. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Which one was the winner??

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.