"All Things Must Pass" to be re-released on 3LP vinyl and 96Khz/24 bit digital part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff Thread Starter

2. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Thanks for the new thread. :)

3. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Got the download using MS Explorer no problem downloading or unzipping the files.

4. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

Playing mine now. Sounds great.

EDIT: This is my first time hearing this full album.

5. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

6. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Lucky bastard!

My first time was in the mid-90's, on a horrible NR Capitol cd. :sigh:

Actually, it's a lot to take in the first time around. So many songs. So many of the tracks having countless things going on simultaneously. Expect to feel exhausted by the end. And maybe even a tad overwhelmed/disappointed at the lack of variety you would find on a Beatles record (with John's "weird" songs, and Paul's "granny" songs). But don't mistake/confuse that for lack of quality (a bit like the Stones' 'Exile On Main Street' in that regard, except with less "filler"). Plus, the next time you're ready to listen again, you'll hear something you'd swear hadn't been there the first time round.

IMO, the single best double album of all time (the third 'Apple Jam' LP was just a bonus), at least when it comes to the ratio of "quality" tunes vs "filler". And, in that respect, superior to even the 'White Album' (IMO).

P.S. - Don't feel guilty about not liking the 'Apple Jam' - few people ever listen more than once, and see it as a dated indulgence of its time...

IronWaffle likes this.
  7. Mike D'Aversa

Thanks!

8. Regardless of whether you are using Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, and IE 6, 7, 8, or 9 beta, Internet Explorer in basically all flavors has problems downloading large files. It's just a poor browser in general, and that's one of the leading reasons why people have been having trouble downloading the Band on the Run and All Things Must Pass LP's.

This might drive you crazy, but it's a fact. You are better off running Safari, Firefox, or Chrome, especially for downloading large files like these.

So, you may be irritated by my posts, but I am just trying to help people successfully download these files.

9. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

:thumbsup:

That was very nicely put to someone that is hearing this for the first time. My own first listen was in 1971 as an 11 year old. I never get tired of this LP. What a masterpiece!

10. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

I have another copy. 30th anniversary? Sounded horrible so I never got through it.

I'm on "I Dig Love" now. There have been ups and downs so far. Some stuff that grabbed me right away and some stuff that felt lacking.

"Beware of Darkness" really blew me away. I'll go back to it after the album is over.

Man this album sure is soupy in places. ;)

11. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

Yes. I was thinking that as I read the post too.

12. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

The "Apple Jam" record is certainly a product of its time.
    I used to think it was some attempt on George's part to get out of his contract with EMI earlier.

13. Mike D'Aversa

I'm just saying you shouldn't be misleading them. You can discourage them. But I don't think it's fair to mislead.

What negative experiences have you had with very large downloads and Internet Explorer 8?

I've never had any. Then again, because of the nature of my broadband connection, I would never download a file over 4 GB without first having a downloading utility (integrated with the browser/cache) that could resume any interruption that might cause hanging or freezing (why Microsoft has always refused to include such a feature in its browsers I'll never know), necessitating starting all over again...

14. Mike D'Aversa

I think he was so thrilled to have (D)Eric & The Dominoes helping to make his big debut, that it was almost done as a favor to them (since he wasn't legally allowed to mention all the members on the album proper). Either that, or he did it to be "cool". Or maybe he just temporarily lost his mind? :laugh:

When you think of George Harrison's strengths as a guitar player, "jamming" isn't the first thing that comes to mind...

15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I don't think I've ever listened through more than a few minutes :unhunh:

One of the first CD-Rs I ever made was the all-killer-no-filler 18 track version of this album - the first 24/96 DVD-R I ever make will be no different :agree:

16. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Summary of my morning, 11/26/10: Completed 2-hour download just past midnight; went to bed. Got up in the morning, dumped hi-res files into iTunes and listened to the whole thing -- LOUD. Wonderful! Converted to 16/44 AIFFs and burned CD. Still sounds great. Dropped 24/96 WAVs into Toast and burned DVD; played on main system -- LOUD. Sublime! Converted AIFFs to Apple Lossless and sent to iPod. Had to come up with my own artwork, but all in all, a very satisfying purchase. ATMP has never sounded this good!

17. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

OK. I've decided to skip Apple Jam. I'll check it out tomorrow.

I've circled back and am starting from the beginning again.

I'll tell you one thing, the dynamics on this version are fully in tact.

Question: Did George have a cold when he recorded this? His voice sounds a little rough in places. Not bad, just rough.

18. Really? Cool! I think you will find it one of the strongest Beatle solo albums.

My favorite track on it is and has always been "Run of the Mill.". Spectacular song!

19. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'm about to pull the trigger on this, but I have one dumb newbie question: you can just copy the hi-res files into iTunes and listen? That's it? I don't have an external DAC yet, and just want to make sure I can play the files in iTunes on a new Mac running OS X 10.6.5 and iTunes 10.1.

20. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Wait until you hear the 24/96 remaster of Dark Horse. ;)

21. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Thank you kindly sir. Excellent scan. :)

22. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I haven't even been able to get to the "purchase" page. Finally, installed Firefox (as per your suggestion) & downloaded the 3gb with zero issues. Please feel free to continue irritating.

23. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I never noticed the rough vocals on the original LP but they sure stuck out on the 2000 CD remaster.

As far as the Apple Jam LP I believe George felt so liberated that it was a natural progression for him. It's not bad but then It's also not great. It is fun trying to figure out who's playing what.

24. Mike D'Aversa

It's possible he may have at some point. The sessions went on for quite awhile. Though, I think the "roughness" probably has more to do with having to record so many vocal tracks/sing so much within a compressed, but extended, period of time (unlike his Beatles one or two songs per album routine). Plus, he didn't have Paul to take the high harmonies for him. So, he was probably pushing himself pretty hard to do some things with his voice that he had never really done before...

25. Just wondering, are you listening to the LP or the download? :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.