All remaining Mosaic Miles Davis LPs are on the way out...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Acoustic Sounds bought the Mosaic Miles records we're talking about?

2. BRush

BRush Senior Member

I've bought some leftover LPs and CDs from Mosaic, after the box sets go out of print, sometime they've even thrown in the booklets! I got most of the Nat King Cole Set, Thad Jones/Mel Lewis, Mingus Candid, Sam Rivers, Art Blakey. You should call Mosaic and talk to Scott.

I was a little upset when I got the Mosaic Davis Boxes, the booklets are pretty much the same as the Sony CD Boxes.

3. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Mosaic is now out of the Blackhawk set. Elusive still has it for only about $20 over list. As mentioned earlier, Acoustic Sounds is already selling it for $250. Too bad these sets didn't sell more as they really are quite nice and a good value as well. If they truly are selling less than 2000 of these vinyl sets, we can't expect them to continue offering them at roughly $18/record.

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

OTOH, if they had sold them at $9/record, maybe they'd have sold 2000 of them (or more).

5. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

And maybe lost twice as much money and be gone years ago. Unless you know the cost of obtaining rights, producing, pressing, distributing, promoting and selling these box sets, selling twice at half price does not necessarily make money.

6. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

7. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

When the rights for the two Miles Davis sets on the page expire, Mosaic will have only one vinyl record - 'Monk/Coltrane'.
    Will it be their very last vinyl with none to follow? :shake:

8. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Don't hesitate on this one. It will be going for $400 on the secondary market before you know it.

9. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Glad I got mine.

10. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

I hope this shows everyone that audiophile purchasing is actually very small. People do not buy enough Coltrane and Miles to support a little niche label like Mosiac. It's really sad and this is why Mosaic isn't making any more vinyl.

11. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

On the other hand, Mr. Cuscuna does still seem committed to getting out good vinyl, realizing these market realities - and then having the insight to bring Blue Note product to Music Matters and Analogue Productions - where he can reach us remaining diehards! I wish Mosaic was still into vinyl too, but who knows, maybe those collaborations will lead to future vinyl under the Mosaic imprint, perhaps sets pressed in even smaller quantities than typical Mosaic sets?

12. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

The difference is licensing your own label versus licensing from another label. Michael can't make money when he licensed from another label. He is licensing to another label and making money on a very small pressing. The amount made is probably very small, but they don't lose money in the process. When they license from an outside label (i.e. Verve) they have to place a non-refundable deposit and that is where they are losing. When they sell less than half of what they licensed, they have lost money.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, the days when labels would sell you a license that would allow you to press audiphile LPs at a reasonable price are long gone. It's sad, really...

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

The Studio Recordings of the Miles Davis Quintet 1965-1968 vinyl set is now really running low. Mosaic's Scott Wenzel just told me they have about 40 sets left. Their other Miles Davis vinyl sets are now all gone. I don't know if they have any partial Miles LP sets left.

15. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

It is ironic that just as vinyl is really taking off again, Mosaic is totally out of the game.

I didn't like that so many of their sets went with session order instead of LP order plus bonuses--and I bet that put off a number of vinyl listeners, though they changed towards the end.

And the price was prohibitive. The new vinyl demographic has to think twice about a $180 set plus shipping. Smaller sets might have done better.

Also, weren't most if not all of the Miles sets remixes? That made me think twice. The only one I got was the Plugged Nickel, though I wish I had gotten Silent Way and BB.

16. bresna

bresna Senior Member

That's funny because over in one of the Music Matters 45 rpm Blue Note threads, I was complaining that I'd probably buy a few of these LPs if they were cheaper. I was basically told that $50 was cheap and to stop complaining and buy them! :laugh:

I guess we have a difference of opinion on what's expensive vinyl. I think $18 per disc for a 180 g LP made from an analog master is a good price in today's vinyl market.

17. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

I think they are excellent value. A pity that they are giving up on vinyl.

18. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I have the impression that most vinyl fans today prefer straight reissues of original albums over complete chronological box sets, even if they have to renounce the bonus tracks.

19. il pleut

il pleut New Member

which makes one suspect that it's about something other than the music... some kind of nostalgia or something.

20. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

Thanks. Now there's 39 left.:righton:

21. alfarkel

alfarkel Member

22. bresna

bresna Senior Member

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

All Mosaic Miles Davis vinyl sets are now gone...

24. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Bleh...I was going to order Davis '65-'68 this week too. :cry:

25. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

Music direct, for example, still has it:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/79239

I bought mine from Mosaic 2 weeks ago. Totally blew my (already overblown) music budget, but I think that in the long run I'll be happy I did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.