Alice Cooper School's Out Audio Fidelity

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl diehard, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Took the words right off of my fingers.

When I listen to a well-done remaster/reissue, I listen closely for music I had not heard on my original copy (or, as a collector I should say copies). "School's Out" has it in spades. I can't site specific songs at the moment but when I listened to mine earlier this week I remember thinking "I haven't heard that little guitar part before" or "Hmmm. Was that effect on my other copies?"

Now, add the more pronounced bass and the ability to better tell one type of drum from another to the mix <rimshot...thank you> and ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. Well done. Bring on the others.

2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If these were Michael Jordan cards, they would carry a premium!

3. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Mine haven't arrived yet but they must be on the way because my VISA has been charged by AF.

I just hope I don't get dinged for duty and the handling charge that goes along with it.

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Really enjoyed listening to School's Out today.

Brings back memories of being 12 and getting ready for the Summer of 1972! :)

5. filper

filper Forum Resident

That's how I felt when I got my copy of the AF... just like a kid again.

6. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

Finally got mine from CDUniverse. Gave it a spin today and I must say this is the most I've ever enjoyed Schools Out. I find the sound rich and full, all things taken into consideration. The added dynamics of the mastering gives this recording new life.

Thanks Mr. Hoffman for your excellent work on another great project.

If Killer is really getting remastered as well, can't wait!!!

7. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

anybody know how well this title is selling?

8. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

I picked up a copy today at J&R in Manhattan. They had about 25 copies I'd say. They're priced at $22.99, but ring up at $19.99. $19.99 is also the price on their Web site.

Just gave it a complete spin and it sounded amazing to my ears. Could listen to it all day long.

For some reason J&R has no copies of the Cars CD yet. They did have the AF Ramones album though, which I'm about to spin next.

9. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Just got my copy in the post today from CD Universe. Sounds quite fine, indeed!

Cheers,
    Chris

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I'm enjoying this. This is the first time I've ever heard an Alice Cooper album. I never bothered with their music before beacuse I wrongly assumed they prolly sounded similar to The Stooges or something like that. Boy was I wrong! This is great melodic rock.
    It does appear though that the packaging is not of the same quality as the old DCC releases. The printing looks very cheap. Sounds great of course, and that's what matters most.

11. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Then you need to continue with AF's upcoming release of Killer. I'm a prog fan too, and "Halo of Flies" is pretty darn proggy. It's one of my favorite Alice songs. Most of the album is excellent as well.

12. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

I finally got my subscription copies of School's Out and Heartbeat City yesterday from AF. No broken 'teeth' on the inner trays, and no taxes or handling fees from Canada Post, either.

I ripped both discs to FLAC using the HDCD encoder in dBpoweramp. They sound awesome through my Transporter! :goodie:

13. I second that. :righton:

14. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I thought the same thing about the packaging. It could have been better IMHO.

I had never heard the album before last night. Music is great.
    Sound is OK. I have no doubt it's the best it will ever sound but it's definitely nowhere near an audiophile quality recording.

Looking forward to more Alice from Audio Fidelity.

15. STLABC

STLABC Forum Resident

A new AF School's Out should be arriving shortly so I searched out my other copies to have a listen.

My Green Label Warner Bros original (or close) vinyl copy purchased in 1973 with allowance $ is in poor condition and unplayable. Gotta keep a lookout for that one.

My West German CD was given to my sister...........wonder if I will see that again?

My only option is the Japanese CD WPCD-3490. I love this album and have renewed respect for Dennis Dunnaway's contribution to the original ACG. I am curious about this pressing (and the West German pressing if my memory serves me correctly). What am I hearing in the opening seconds of the Title track on the left channel? Is it some sort of drop out of? Does the original vinyl sound that way?..........Iv'e forgotten. Does the new AF School's Out have the same thing?

16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The opening riff of School's Out has always sounded that way - it's not a dropout, it's rather a slight variance in volume between the two channels. The riff as you hear it in your head is actually two guitars weaving together - the left channel starts the riff and the right finishes it. Plus the guitars are obscenely distorted, which makes it sound strange if you listen closely. If you just let it wash over you, it's a snarling, snotty anthem of dirt, as intended.

I got my AF School's Out on Saturday and I've listened to it several times. It truly sounds great. I also have a green-label WB LP and I've often thought it to be the best-sounding Coop in my collection, and the AF CD is a worthy contender. I haven't done a shoot out between the two, but I will in the next few days.

P.S. I don't see why people are complaining about the packaging. This is the first AF CD I've purchased where I thought that the insert looked really good. The Faces one was pretty threadbare, and the Deep Purple and BadCo were pretty good, but this one is a step up. I like the foldout with the B&W pic and the typeset. I don't miss the reproduced LP labels.

17. STLABC

STLABC Forum Resident

Thanx David ..... I'm off to the record store !!

Andy

18. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Got my copy from Amazon last week. Enjoying the Hoffman touch as usual, but have one problem. Whatever way I try I cannot get the CD to load in my iMac G5 to do an uncompressed wav copy to play on my Sony A8118 Walkman. Just ejects itself after a few seconds. It seems to be a perfect disk surface in every respect. Haven't had this problem with any of my CD's before. Anyone else had a problem with this? :help:

19. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

bump

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

no problem here... using an PowerMac G5.

21. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Thanks, Claus - very strange. Oh well it plays just fine on my CD player...:)

22. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

I had the same problem. On the third attempt, I held my finger over the slot to prevent the disc from ejecting, and it finally read the disc and let me rip a flac.

23. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Thanks - that worked...eventually! :)

24. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Had the same problem on my MacBook Pro. Same with the Cars CD. Both CDs have some serious discoloration on the non-label side. Don't know if that's the problem or not.

Also, my iPod won't play the last 5-20 seconds of any tracks on either of these CDs. It just skips to the next song.

25. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Same here! Do miss the panties though. :sigh:

:winkgrin:

C'mon "Killer"! :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.