ALICE COOPER "Love It To Death", join us for GOLD CD mastering. Artwork, restored?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

2. crossed.out

crossed.out Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing the photos, hdsemaj!

3. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

Check out mine :)

Edit haha nevermind.

4. crossed.out

crossed.out Forum Resident

Haha, yep. I posted without refreshing!

These are great, by the way.

5. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard New Member

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing.

6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

What's in the bins in picture #24?

Looks like licorice ;)

And I'm no expert but that tape box in picture #4 looks authentic, not a copy as some people 'elsewhere' have speculated AF might be using on some of their releases. :)

7. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

That's after the vinyl has been pressed the machine cuts that off so the record has a nice outside edge.

8. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I see....makes sense :)

How long did the session last, do they master the whole thing in one shot?

9. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I JUST GOT BACK from the mastering session! Ugh- what a drive! But wow what a great day! Informative, fun, and good barbecue! Thanks Steve! It's truly amazing how a little tweak here and there makes a HUGE difference. These tapes weren't super "Hi Fi" to begin with. Kevin and Steve are a great team, and it's fun trying to keep up with them.

10. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

I was there from 11 to 4. We went to lunch around 2. It wasn't one shot. There was a lot of flipping between songs and then Masters several times. It was recorded on RCA 1/4" tape if I recall correctly. A few times we A/B-ed the master with the original vinyl and CD. Side 2 master sounded a lot different than Side 1 with more treble to it. There was a bit of volume matching and there was NO COMPRESSION added and this was the Master Tape. Steve and Kevin played a bit from Yes - 90125 and that sounded amazing.

11. O Don Piano

I have phone photos, BTW. Not great, but OK.

12. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Very cool

Where is the "I'm jealous" smilie ;) ?

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Just got back. Met some nice folks today for the Alice Cooper mastering, thanks for attending. A few snaps that Gary Salstrom of RTI took... One of our gang was photo shy...

Attached Files:

14. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

15. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

Nice, thanks again Steve. What a fun day.

16. mrlefty

mrlefty Forum Resident

Great pic with the notes on the back of the reel. . . the gear pics and plant pics are interesting too.

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Very nice! A day to remember, I'm sure :thumbsup:

18. Wow, that looked like a great day for all that attended. 1/4" RCA master tapes recorded right in my home town by Nimbus 9 (Jack Richardson and Bob Ezrin). Looking forward to the AF version. Vincent Damon Furnier (Alice) would be proud I would think. This made me think, now what could Steve and co. do with Welcome To My Nightmare?

19. jfp11801

jfp11801 Forum Resident

wow I'm even more bummed that work came up and I had to cancel, I am glad that someone was able to take my place as I felt really bad at canceling. Looks like you guy s had a great time, Steve thanks for giving music lovers a chance to sit in on sessions like this one.

20. Steve Hoffman

Don't worry, we will do this again in the near future, maybe for MACHINE HEAD or something. It was a blast for all concerned...

21. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Real cool - thanks for posting the pics!

22. Steve Hoffman

Thanks for the pictures.

There was a lot of white vinyl being pressed yesterday at Record Tech. Those bins of white and red virgin vinyl "flack" look yummy.

RTI makes a lot of colored vinyl records. Very hard to do because the vinyl "pipes" to the pressing machines have to be totally clean of all the carbon black first. Expensive process...

23. O Don Piano

A lot of Punk rock LPs being made at RTI!

24. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Really sorry I couldn't attend this one, looks like it was a lot of fun. Thank you Steve for the very generous offer. What a fantastic opportunity it is for the forum members lucky enough to take advantage of it.

25. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Getting to spend all day hearing the master tapes for Machine Head over and over and over? I hereby sign up right now! Please let me know a little ahead of time so I can make plane and hotel reservations!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.