Albums you had but didn't know were mastered by Steve Hoffman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Schmeig, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My answer is none. One of the first CDs I bought was the Buddy Holly one, after reading a great review in CD Magazine that praised Steve's mastering job. After that I looked for his name on CDs and eventually found this place.

hi_watt likes this.
  2. th0m

th0m Forum Resident

What's the story behind this? I love that track and it's the first time I've ever heard Steve was involved!

3. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Are you certain? What is the catalog number?

4. Positve.

Catalog number is MCAD-31170. The actual CD will most likely be a 'Sanyo' pressing. It does not matter whether the CD states "Made In Japan", or "Made In USA", it will have Steve's mastering.

See Steve's comment in the link below (see post #21)...
    Dave Mason Alone Together best mastering and sound

Hope this helps.

5. Steve answered this one two years ago (it was an old post). I believe I went back and corrected myself as I was thinking of either Rock 'n' Roll Rarities or More Rock 'n' Roll Rarities. The Great 28 sounds nothing like what Steve would do.

6. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Oops! Sorry about that! My mistake.

7. No biggie Easy enough to do especially when a thread opens up after a long period of time.

8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

9. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Didn't know until joining here:
    The Who - Meaty, Beaty, Big & Bouncy
    Genesis - From Genesis to Revelation

Sorry, never had that Who on anything but vinyl and would've gotten Steve's version of the Genesis, if I'd been made aware sooner. As for my possession of his work, it's largely confined to DCC & AF. His name probably pops up, elsewhere, in the collection. Would have to search his discography.

10. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Ok, cool, and exactly. :cool:

11. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

A friend burned me copies of the two Underground Radio discs eons ago. Always loved the sound of the music on them. Then I discovered why...

12. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

grabbed this when it came out ~ always a favorite
    [​IMG]
    knew the name ~ took a long time to find the forum

Kkfan and Aldous Huxley like this.
  13. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Who's and Two's Missing vinyl lps and Who's Missing cd (and now just finding out about the Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy lp from a poster above!).

groundharp likes this.
  14. I think my first Steve Hoffman mastered albums I had were these on Razor and Tie:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

At the time I didn't know what a mastering engineer was.

Chazzbo13 and Kkfan like this.
  15. MarkAJ

MarkAJ Forum Resident

I studied fiddle for a while (until my teacher told me that in another 15 years I might be able to make some music), and I started picking up every fiddle CD or lp I could find. I might have half a dozen Rural Rhythm CDs that I was surprised to see were done by Steve. It's great stuff. Fiddlers like Dale Potter and "Tater" Tate are hardly household names, but I'll tell you--those guys could play! I figured Rural Rhythm was--well, rural, probably somewhere in the South. It turns out the company was (is?) active for decades in Arcadia CA, about 15 miles from where I grew up.

16. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Wow! Some how I missed that one.

17. Aldous Huxley

Aldous Huxley Well-Known Member

Well this is cheating sort of, but I was looking through the used bins last night and spied a Chris Montez Cd--a name I'll admit I'd never heard until reading this thread. Sure enough, you mastered this one too, so I was right pleased to find it, snatch it up, and soon explore this unknown legend. How different is it from the DCC?

Also in the various 'M's was this Moontan, a Cd I'd also seen mentioned up-thread and wished to find. Not much info on it, but as it is early MCA circa your era there; a gray 020.jpg is it safe to presume this is the "Golden" Grail folks were swooning over up-thread? How to know? Play it... a gray 019.jpg a gray 018.jpg a gray 017.jpg

18. Aldous Huxley

Aldous Huxley Well-Known Member

WOW !!!! Moontan is a bitchin' rock record thru and thru. Honestly only ever heard 'Radar Love' on the radio. Had no idea the whole record was all good olde rock and roll--that last track is killer. Sounds so Sweet!

19. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

The closest would be the Buddy Holly and Mamas & the Papas CDs, but his name was on the art and the discs so it's hard to plead ignorance that he mastered them. I didn't know how good he was at that point, though.

20. Was lucky enough to catch on to Steve's mastering work 28 years ago during his MCA salad days, when he did the "Vintage Music" series and "Original Masters" catalog releases for them...followed him to DCC in 1987 and continue to love the stuff he now puts out as full-time freelancer for companies like Analogue Productions and Audio Fidelity...keep up the great work, buddy!!!:edthumbs:
    p.s.-Had the pleasure of becoming friends with Steve when he came to San Francisco in 1992 for the Stereophile Show at the Westin St. Francis Hotel...he was working on the Elvis Presley catalog for DCC back then!!!

hi_watt likes this.
  21. Joe Monteiro

Joe Monteiro Forum Resident

Has anyone mentioned The Who's Who's Next? The MCA version. Pretty sure it was Steve.

22. evad

evad Well-Known Member

It is listed on the discography section of this site. :)

23. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I own and love this CD and in my best Johnny Carson voice can only say, "I did not know that."

tolkev likes this.
  24. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I believe it did. I own this two-fer and it sounds great.

25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reopened by request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.