Albums you had but didn't know were mastered by Steve Hoffman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Schmeig, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Dwight Twilley-Sincerely. Great album, and this version sounds awesome.

3. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for this info. Very much appreciated.

Another one I'm lacking and will be looking for. Is it the 1990 release that contains Steve's mastering, or is there some other?

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You're not aware you mastered it either? :D

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well I might have done it in my sleep because the LP was filtered at 12k and 75 cycles and compressed 2:1. Not my usual style so I might be a somnambulist.

6. slstokes2216

slstokes2216 Forum Resident

Howlin' Wolf "Moanin In The Moonlight" Original Chess Masters vinyl. And, same series, Muddy at Newport.

And yeah, you want these.

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I had the original CD of John Coltrane "From the Original Master Tapes", which I purchased because at the time it may have been the only John Coltrane that could be had on CD. I then sold the CD when the music contained therein was released on "proper" albums (and I figured why would I need a sampler of music I now have on all the original albums).

Little did I know it was mastered by Steve Hoffman, since at that time I was not a member here, nor did I know who Steve Hoffman was.

8. I KNEW IT!

It says it right here--

"Remastered by Zombie Steve Hoffman" ;)

9. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Does anyone know who mastered the Razor & Tie CDs Walter Egan/Not Shy and Donnie Iris/Back On The Streets? There's no info in the liner notes.

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Steppenwolf-st

11. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

Half my cd collection were MCA cd's because "they sounded ok" later on a friend of mine told me about the lounge and some bum named Hoffman did all my MCA cd's! By that time I was allready bying my first DCC's and finally meet him.

12. Meaty, Beaty, Bouncy-The Who

13. The Zombies - Greatest Hits (SACD) which absolutely turned me into a rabid fan of the band! Great set of songs and it sounds amazing!

14. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I wanted to get that but I used to hear stories that the Goldwax masters are MIA and all that was avalable were needledrops. Ages ago I bought the 2 James Carr discs on P-Vine and both were needledrops. Now I'm kicking myself for passing on it :realmad:.

15. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Jerry Lewis "Just Sings". Love the album, love the sound, love the outtakes. Glad he did it but didn't know for a long time.

Jeff

16. warren

warren Forum Resident

Pixies Purple Tape.

17. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

Return of the Wanderer - Dion.

18. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

Before I joined all you fine folk:

Raiders of The Lost Ark (DCC)
    Mamas & The Papas - 16 Of Their Greatest Hits
    The Who - Meaty, Beaty, Big & Bouncy
    The Who - Who's Missing

19. Trillmatic

Trillmatic New Member

My first CD (or album of any type) was Buddy Holly-From the Original Master Tapes. Can’t say it was the first album I bought because I more or less “co-opted” it from my father’s collection. I was probably 6 years old and obviously had no idea what mastering or remastering was. I just knew the tunes sounded good.

22 years later I luckily discovered this board and found out who the hell Steve Hoffman is….:cool:

20. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

It'd be a hoot if Steve remastered THIS:

[​IMG]

21. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

I'm not sure on those, but another Iris title "King Cool" on Razor & Tie, also uncredited, sounds like Steve's work to me!

22. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I still don't know. I'll have to take a good look one of these days.

23. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I purchased the Buddy Holly CD many years ago. I remember being surprised at how good it sounded, as other recordings of the same vintage that I owned didn't sound nearly as crisp, dynamic or punchy.

A bit later on I got the Mamas & Papas CD and had the same response. I was particularly surprised by the dynamic range of "Dedicated To The One I Love".

At some point I noticed that they were both mastered by the same fellow. It got me wondering if it was the mastering that made the difference. That eventually led me to this site.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  24. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

Elton John--Your Songs

Mamas And The Papas--16 Of Their Greatest Hits

25. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

Until I joined this forum, I didn't know there was anything special about my Beach Boys Razor and Tie compilation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.