Alan Parsons' Classic Records HDAD Re-Issued!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry B, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Now it's very tempting to buy a copy of each title. :sigh:

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Update to this post.

I just digitally transfered the 24/96 side of Eye In The Sky (the same disc that had glitches) into Pro Tools. Get this, not a single glitch on the whole album! :goodie:

I used a Pioneer DVD-A/SACD player this time instead of my Sony SACD/DVD player so I think that may have helped.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Then why are people reporting glitches in the same portion of the music? Personally, my Pioneer plays through without audio glitches, but there is a slight, repeatable glitch in the video.

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

There's obviously a few glitches there but it seems a few players are able to power through it with some sort of error correction.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Oh gotcha. I was thinking that when you dumped it into ProTools, the digital files were flawless. Or maybe they were if your drive was able to error correct them all :confused:

Anyways, just another example of those Pioneer players gobbling up discs that give other players trouble :righton:

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

It's the cheapest player I have so I didn't try it before now. That'll show me. :laugh:

I don't know if the files are flawless or if the error correction is kicking in. I'm monitoring through my PT system converters.

7. Mine arrived yesterday.

Well, although the jewel cases and the booklets were flawless, both discs have scratches, very visible ones. I will play them tonight and test for playability. One scratch that particularly worries me is on the outer rim of the DVD-A side of TOAFC. Approx. 1" long and semi-radial.

8. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I am one of the people that have had problems with this disc, I never thought that it could be my stupid player's fault. I use a Sony.

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Mine didn't play on any of my Sony players either. My Panasonic, Pioneer and Toshiba seem to work though.

10. ADAMIC

ADAMIC Member

Thats what I had said. "Too much information" meaning the picture on the screen and the audio playing took up too much memory for your standalone to handle. I've ripped the audio off the DAD layer and converted to apple lossless and nothing is wrong with it. In fact, both layers sound great!

11. ricks

ricks Senior Member

What model Pioneer?

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I'm not at home but it's a silver faced Elite model that plays DVD-A and SACDs. I don't even think it was over $150 at Best Buy.

13. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Jamie,

Did you de-mux the audio from the dvd or did you record the files analog?

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Coax digital out into Pro Tools. Worked great.

BTW, my Sony player had a rough time with this not only playing the glitches but also the digital out was chirpy. Seems like it was too much for it to handle.

15. ElevatorSkyMovie

I guess they didn't put copy protection on the disc or make it downsample to 16/48 at the digital output.

16. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I don't think they put copy protection on any of their discs.

17. tps

tps Forum Resident

There's no encryption on the 24/192 side of "Eye". It is losslessly compressed with MLP. DVD-A Explorer says "downsample digital output to 48 KHz", but this may just be an artifact of their authoring or something they did to increase chances of compatibility with more hardware. "Downsample digital" makes the most sense if the 24/192 data was encrypted so it could not otherwise be obtained, but it's not. So, did I hear that it was recorded through the digital output with ProTools? I take it that your player did not honor the "Downsample digital". Maybe that bit only works if the HiRes data is encrypted.

18. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

There's a menu to select down sample or full bit rate on the player. Seems to work. PT detected 24/96, so did my Masterlink and RADAR (I was curious).

19. Markym

Markym Forum Resident

My discs arrived. After numerous emails to themusic.com, it transpires someone hit the wrong button and marked my order as "cancelled" for EITS rather than "dispatched"....:rolleyes:

Anyways, the inserts and cases are immaculate but neither disc is. Some were what appeared to be minor finger marks but there are some other minor scratches/abrasions as well on the 24/192 sides. The 24/96 sides look clean. But it's too much hassle to ask for replacements so will stick with them.

I have another HDAD on its way so hope that will be 100%!

Cheers.

20. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:mad:

You're in London, UK. I'm in Canada. My discs have not arrived yet.

Canada Post strikes again.

:mad:

21. Markym

Markym Forum Resident

FWIW, I'm just listening to 24/192 layer of TOAFC and it sounds fantastic. Hope yours arrives soon!

22. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

TOAFC is Turn Of A Friendly Card, for any of those who were wondering...

23. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I am still getting one click on Eye in the Sky during the first part of the song Old and Wise. It was easy to fix but it goes full volume for a single sample in the left channel. Is this on anyone else's copy?

On another note, what's with Psychobabble and You're Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned? :hurl: Those tunes are so bad! :laugh:

24. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Listened to the 24/192 side of Eye and Card the last couple of days and they sound really nice. I wish Tales of Mystery had received this treatment instead of the horrifically awful sounding "deluxe" edition.

Rick

25. ElevatorSkyMovie

I would be very surprised if the dvd-audio side did not have CPPM encryption. I thought it was a requirement. I don't think it will allow the output of a 24/192 signal from a dvd-audio player. I could be wrong though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.