Alan Parsons' Classic Records HDAD Re-Issued!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry B, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barzzz

barzzz Forum Resident

I wonder if this glitch was fixed sometime during it's run. I just received my copy of eye, and have carefully listened to the 24/96 side twice, and did not hear any crunchy, static sound.

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Curious. I just bought mine. Maybe they discovered an old box full of the things (which would explain its recent reappearance) so it could be from an older run.

3. barzzz

barzzz Forum Resident

I also just got mine, from Music Direct. Also, mine, while in at least vg++ condition, did not appear to be brand new, even though it was shrinkwraped.

4. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Just got my replacement TTOTFC. This one is NM possibly NM+. I also requested a replacement for the damaged booklet, which they sent, however it was for EYE .... Let's just say I'm not impressed with themusic/Classic slipshod methods.

5. heavyd

heavyd Forum Resident

Now I have seen everything :)

What is the diff between NM+ and NM++... or NM+++. I wish all things were simple :)

6. ricks

ricks Senior Member

How about M--- or EX++1

7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

If they fixed it it was late in the run as I exchanged it two times and finally gave up. I am glad they stopped releasein those discs if that release was indicative of what was yet to come in terms of quality control.

8. kudesai

kudesai New Member

It is a shame, because I Robot sounds fantastic. By far the best release of that album, bar none. I guess I will go ahead and order the other two titles as well. I never listen to the 24/96 side anyway. I just wish they would stop driving customers away. :shake:

9. ADAMIC

ADAMIC Member

I listened to mine on the computer and it glitched on the screen but the sound was fine. My guess is the software that authored the DVD glitched and went out of guide lines of the DVD format. I was working on some 24/96 DVD's of the pillbugs and trying to add video and hi quality pictures and the pictures would make the dvd lock up. Weird things happen making these 24/96 HDAD's I could't find any software that did it all. Most won't even accept 24/96 or the software will downsample it. So I think it might depend on the player or software your playing it on. I would simply rip the audio off to a HD and re author a dvd version with LPEX (free) or DVD Audio Creator. That might fix it!

10. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

In this case, 'not bad' means 'not great, but better than nothing' to me.

One thing that I cannot understand is how a company with a good record (pun not intended) does not solve small problems in the recording that any half-read audio editing enthusiast can tackle. Heck, if they need someone to fix the darn things for them they might try contacting me. One thing is clear, these releases look like a rush job to me at the least or, perhaps, a half-baked attempt at doing something interesting.

11. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Neither do I in mine, although there is a digital click at the beginning of a song, but at the moment I can't remember which one.

12. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Or perhaps this 'new run' is composed of returned items.

13. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, my 'old' Eye In The Sky also 'glitches on the screen.'

14. ADAMIC

ADAMIC Member

too much info for the dvd format. That's my guess. I usually listen to the dvd-a layer so it doesn't affect me.

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I have been meaning to post this: yeah, my TOTFC HDAD arrived new, but the disc had minor scratches on it. They are mainly on the DAD side, which is unlikely to get played. Looks like a decent used disc, not factory-new. It's doubtful I'll bother with a return.

16. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

The two titles I ordered just got shipped out by acoustic sounds today. Should be interesting to see if they're used or new.

17. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Not really, DVD plays 96/24 fine always. These are simply cases of badly authored HDADs.

18. tps

tps Forum Resident

The copies of "Eye" and TOAFC arrived today. I'm working on extracting them to the hard drive right now. I originally was doing it as a background task while working on other things, but the tools for extracting DVD-A are not quite ready for prime time, so I'll have to monitor the process and check the files in Cool Edit as I go to ensure clean transfers. Maybe late tonight I can report on how things went... Anyway, both discs look fine and the drive reports no problems reading them.

19. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Are they used or new?

20. tps

tps Forum Resident

They appear to be new. No fingerprints or scuffs on either disc. The jewel case and booklet of Eye is mint condition. The jewel case of TOAFC has a few scratches in the plastic; booklet appears mint. So far no problems with either disc; I wish I could say the same for DVD-A Explorer and eac3to... But at least. if I proceed carefully, I should be OK.

OT: This HDAD experience is a MUCH better situation than the other one I hoped to deal with today: One of the used CDs I picked up last week is full of pinholes in the plating. Looks as if I'll have to let EAC run overnight to see if it can work some magic...

21. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

What's the forum consensus on these Alan Parson's Project's HDAD's?

Do they sound better than their counterpart (regular redbook CD's)?

22. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

by far, i robot even beats the great mfsl version by leaps and bounds.

23. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

I have the I Robot HDAD and used to have the mfsl cd (until thieves broke into my car in 1988 and relieved me of it. NEVER carry your valuable/collectible discs in the car!!!)..... the HDAD is wonderful- the best!!
    :love: :love:

24. tps

tps Forum Resident

I've been working on the 24/192 of "Eye in the Sky" this evening. It does indeed sound very musical and dynamic. I've got a redbook of "Eye", so maybe I'll make a comparison tomorrow.

One small complaint I have is the noise floor. There's definitely something funky going on right above the tape noise, it consists of a periodic pulse train. Predominantly in the left channel, you can hear it if you crank the gain before the start of the second reel (just before the beginning of You're Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned).

There are a couple pops which I edited out with Cool Edit. They may or may not have been on the analog master, but it sounded better to me if they were cut out. There is one pop at the beginning of "Step by Step" I can't find... I can hear it, but when I zoom in with the editor I just can't see a smoking gun.

Even though I've only listened a song at a time as I've been editing tonight, quite a pleasurable experience. I'll look forward to hearing the album end-to-end after my hearing has recovered from the listening I did tonight. I would say definitely a worthwhile purchase!

25. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

IMO, yes.

They are among the best sounding pressings for this material that I have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.