Alan Parsons' Classic Records HDAD Re-Issued!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry B, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The number American Express has on file for themusic.com account is invalid. It is a private residence and they want to know why they have been getting these type calls for ovre a year. Nice. According to American Express the fact that the number they were given by themusic.com is not correct, is tantamount to fraud. As such they have issued me a full refund and they will now launch an investigation on themusic.com ... Guess I'll have use ePay for TTOAFC :realmad:

Rick

2. jeffrey r

jeffrey r Member

Hmm, I got my TTOAFC from themusic.com yesterday, and only had a chance to take the wrapping off. I did not inspect the insert or the disc, but I sure will tonight. I already have the I Robot and Eye HDADs, so this completes my Parsons collection.

3. ricks

ricks Senior Member

themusic / Classic records just contacted me and said they would send out a replacement and would send a call tag to pick up the bad one. They also asked if it would be alright if they opened and examined the replacement to make sure it was in perfect condition before sending. I told them that was OK. We'll see....

Rick

4. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Glad to hear you are having better luck. FWIW, they responded to my emails just fine, and my copy is perfect.

5. tps

tps Forum Resident

I have Classic HDAD 2003. I successfully grabbed the 24/96 audio to the hard drive with DVD Audio Extractor; sounds wonderful! Have not grabbed the 24/192 side yet; it requires different (and more primitive) tools.

Just got an auto-email saying my credit card was charged for TOAFC and "Eye", so they must be getting ready to ship.

6. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

I ordered Eye yesterday, and they confirmed that it shipped today. So I guess they are still available.

7. jeffrey r

jeffrey r Member

My TTOAFC HDAD from themusic is in almost mint condition, and the insert is in mint condition. So my order seems to have gone ok.

8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Glad to read that SOME of you are having luck with mint copies of "Turn Of A Friendly Card", as for me, still no word from CLASSIC via my original e-mail to them?

I find it awful hard to believe that NOBODY from CLASSIC doesn't frequent THIS forum and threads like this?

Chris C

9. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Got Eye In The Sky today. :thumbsup:

11. Markym

Markym Forum Resident

Cant' understand why my order was cancelled on 30th Jan for 'Eye' when it was paid for via PayPal 5 mins after ordering. Have had no adequate response from themusic.com except a short email to say 'they are looking into it'. Will be mightily p*ssed off if I miss this title now when it seems I was one of the first people on this thread to order it :shake:

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I just tried to listen to mine (24/96 side). I wouldn't describe them as skips. It sounds like there were some dropouts on the master. If you've ever heard a DAT tape with a stretch or errors on it you'll know that crunchy, static sound very well. There was one on the first track and one on the second track and after that I stopped listening. :(

13. kudesai

kudesai New Member

If the dropouts are on the master then you would hear them on the 24/192 side as well. Right?

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I don't suspect the glitches are on the original two track tapes. I'm thinking there's an issue with the master for the 24/96 disc. Confusing? :D

15. kudesai

kudesai New Member

There is one analog master. The 24/96 data is down sampled from the 24/192 data set. So, perhaps the issue was in the the down sampling, or authoring process. In any event, they only used one master, which is A/D'd and stored on a hard drive.

16. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Thats what I said. :)

17. kudesai

kudesai New Member

Fair enough.

18. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Sounds as if they have not corrected the issues.

19. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

As I said here before, these releases are not bad, but they do show that the people at Classic Records did not seem to walk the extra mile for them. If the 192/24 version is not flawed, perhaps an in extemis measure would be to rip that side and then downsample it yourself to 96/24, create an audio DVD with Audio DVD Creator and burn it. You might end up with a much better-sounding 96/24 version.

20. tps

tps Forum Resident

The 24/192 side is harder to rip... You have to use DVD-A Explorer (not related to DVD Audio Extractor), which will give you the MLP files. Then use eac3to to unpack the MLP to WAV. Finally, if you're so inclined, you can pack up the 24/192 WAVs using FLAC so you can avoid the somewhat cumbersome ripping process should you ever want them again...

21. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Why doesn't amazon.com or tower.com have these? I hate paying for shipping, especially UPS but that's what I had to do to get them from acousticsounds.com

Still it's cheaper shopping than this outfit advertised here on post #1.

You should see the price my music fix wants for eye in the sky on amazon... something like $140.

22. therockman

I do not know what you mean by "not bad." The 24/96 is unlistenable. I know, I tried, I bought 4 of the darn things. It is unlistanable. That, in my book, is bad.

23. therockman

The 24/192 is very easy to rip as needledrop with analog out hooked to an old fashioned sound card.

24. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I ordered "I Robot" last year in this format (HDCD) from Music Direct. Nothing. :confused:

So; I'm not sweating it anymore. I might buy the first 3 releases in better res. But; that would be it.

I already own "Tales..." in MFSL Gold. :)

25. GKH

GKH Senior Member

(HDAD)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.