Alan Parsons' Classic Records HDAD Re-Issued!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry B, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ADAMIC

ADAMIC Member

24 96 stereo is as high as fiber or coax can handle. Trust me on this. Some discs do block digital out which means having a nice DAC on board is important. But my Panasonic sends out 24/96 it even has a setting for turning this feature on and off.

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I think that there were only three.

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Actually, within the first 90 seconds you should hear at least 2 obvious skips, and then there are several more scattered out over the first 5 minutes. I never got past about 5 minutes because the skips were to upsetting for me.

4. apple corpse

apple corpse Forum Resident

I received both discs friday. as far as EITS video layer I can see some problems with the video side, I just cannot hear them. What I mean is, I see some pixelation while looking at the art work, but it doesn't seem bad enough to cause problems with the audio track. in fact, I just ripped the audio portion to my mac in case I have problems in the future playing the disc. :)

5. ADAMIC

ADAMIC Member

oops I lied coax on my panasonic does send out 24/192. I have all three of the HDAD's and never noticed any defects but the player is a DVD-A player thus it will default to DVD-A not DVD.

6. A.G. Pennypacker

A.G. Pennypacker Forum Resident

Regarding Eye in the Sky: I just listened to the 24/96 side in its entirety, and didn't hear a single skip. Apple Corpse mentioned that he saw a few little glitches on the video which I saw too, but it sounds like neither of us found anything wrong with the audio. I double checked the first few tracks, and listened to those a couple times. It looks like they fixed the glitches, or I just got lucky with this copy. Turn of a Friendly Card on the other hand...

7. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

This that you mention makes no sense as these are all two-sided discs (one side exclusively 96/24 LPCM, the other exclusively 192/24 MLP stereo). So it is not like the discs would 'default' to DVD-Audio. It's you who decides which side you will play.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I played the 24/96 side, and noticed a couple of video glitches at about 1:08 mark (during Sirius). But no audio dropouts. I would imagine there are some serious data errors, however my Pioneer DVD player seems to have corrected the audio portion.

9. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

Just recieved the hdad of Eye in the sky from music direct today. Thanks for the report Larry!

10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I just got my copy of "The Turn of A Friendly Card" HDAD from, "themusic.com", and opened it up to find that, even though it was sealed with a Classic sticker on the outside plastic, the booklet was all crinkled up and the disc has one long smudge/scratch on each side of the disc. Far from what I expect in the quality of an "audiophile" release. I played it and it sounds fine (I mean it sounds way better than ANY previously released version), but it MUST be replaced, due to the imperfections, in it's appearance. When opening this disc, the first thing I thought of, outside of my own "what the f***", was, that if I ever wanted to sell this puppy down the road, guys like us here at Hoffman's, wouldn't touch that bad looking disc with a ten foot pole!

So now I have to be bothered with returning and waiting, because of "THEIR" faults...WHY can't these companies do it right, the "first" time, am I really asking for too much?

Chris C

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Chris, sorry to hear about that. I ordered a copy of TOAFC which arrived yesterday. After reading your note I opened mine. The booklet has one smallish fold, possibly occurring when it was slipped into the case. More distressing is that my disc also appears to have a couple light scratches on it as well. They're probably unlikely to effect the sound (haven't played it yet), but disturbing nonetheless. In my case it's not bad enough to go through the hassle of returning it but I do agree with you on questioning their quality control. :thumbsdn:

12. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

Given the last two posts, do you think these TOAFC issues are used and resealed?

13. Markym

Markym Forum Resident

No reply as yet to my email about why they cancelled my 'Eye..' order after accepting the PayPal money. Not impressed with this outfit. :rolleyes:

14. Markym

Markym Forum Resident

Read my post earlier regarding Panasonic DVD player and Benchmark DAC1. Upshot is that only non copy-protected discs will output the full datastream, irrespective of what your audio settings on the Panasonic are. In this case, Classic don't use copy protection so you can get up to 24/192. Cheers. :wave:

15. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

You may be onto something there! I e-mailed "CLASSIC" yesterday, since it was the link on THEIR website, that forced me to buy it from, "themusic.com". Neither of these companies seem to have a "direct" place to call and complain, which kinda' scares me. I have not heard back from them yet. It just makes me have to waste my time with this flawed pressing and I really hate that. Back to your wondering if these discs may be used and resealed, it does seem interesting that you can't buy these (as usual) from the likes of "Acoustic Sounds" or "Elusive Disc", doesn't it?

Chris C

16. ricks

ricks Senior Member

My TOFC booklet had one half moon on it plus both sides of the disc were only EX at best. Very dissapointing. Anyone have any luck w/returns?

17. it appears that the I Robot 24/192 is still not available. Is that correct?

18. ricks

ricks Senior Member

You can get the phone # to the music.com by contacting your credit card provider. They have to give it to them in order to do business. I called American Express, which I used, and they gladly let me have it. Still have to wait until probably 8 or 9am their time which is PST.

Rick

19. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I received TOFC - could be a reseal but sounds great and a bargain compared to eBay. I suspect these will be gone forever shortly (like I Robot).

20. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I guess I would be OK w/ a reseal as well if it was in perfect condition? However they sold this as new and it looked like a badly used disc from a CD store. Same goes for my booklet. For all of your who have received shoddy damaged merchandise I recommend calling them and if they won't make good open a buyers protection claim with your Credit Card company. In the case of American Express, it is us that has the real power and not the vendor, as such our satisfaction will be the result.

Rick

21. heavyd

heavyd Forum Resident

My backup copy of Turn Of A Friendly Card arrived today. Looks beautiful, and sounds even better :thumbsup:

22. tps

tps Forum Resident

I just placed an order for "Eye" and TOAFC; I already own "I Robot". We'll see how it goes!

23. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Just tried to play TTOAFC and it stops after about 30-40 seconds due to nasty scrapes on the 24/192 side. I just called American Express and filed a buyers protection claim. They have already credited my account. themusic.com is not going to get paid by Amex unless they make good and send me a "perfect" replacement copy plus pay for my shipping expense back to them. From what I see themusic.com is a slipshod outfit at best.

Rick

24. Markym

Markym Forum Resident

Wish I'd used my Credit Card now instead of PayPal! Just hope that TTOAFC is a decent copy since I've missed out on the other one. :(

25. which version of I Robot do you own?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.