AF to do Simon & Garfunkel's Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khojem, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

In this case though, the original master tape was reportedly misplaced and was not used for the digital transfer done in the 80's. It was only recently located. The digital transfer done for the original 80's CD used a copy tape. So the AF CD was not in any way sourced "from the master tape" unless you want to argue that any tape, no matter how many generations down, is ultimately "from the master tape".

I guess this explains why the AF CD has the same anomaly at the beginning of Homeward Bound that apparently is not on the master tape.

2. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Sure. :righton: Maybe they just give you digital copies these days with the actual originals in storage. :shh:

3. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

good points. I'd forgotten about the 80's CD not being from the original master.

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I am not happy about this situation. I really do want a new transfer from the original master tape.

5. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Are you serious?

6. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Any comparisons between the Sundazed LP (from the recovered master) and the AF CD (now claimed* to be from a circa-1980's digital transfer of a sub-master)?

*see above post #468. I do not in any way have sufficient evidence to substantiate such claims.

7. therockman

Actually, YES. We are paying good money for these Audio Fidelity discs, and I want 21st Century transfers through the best A/D convertors around. Remember all that talk about the Kensei audio transformer? That is what I expect.

8. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Uh, no way are they going to go back and " redo" this. Surely you know this. And why does this " new information" all the sudden change what you are hearing? Didn't you say you liked the mastering on this one? That it sounded great to you?

I thought this forum was about finding the best sounding possible cd of a particuliar artist. Or are we just reading packaging lables now? If there was deception then yeah that sux. But isn't what we HEAR what counts?

If you suddenly found out the AF gold disc of Joe Walsh was made from a needle drop would you change your signature line?

9. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Now thats the question I was thinking of but figured someone would just say it's apples and oranges. I would like to know how the Sundazed compares to the AF also.

The Sundazed isn't a remix, right?

10. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

Do you mean to say that you are not just impressed by the disc being all shiny and gold?

;)

11. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Correct. It's the original stereo mix.

12. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but the consensus is that Sundazed got the original master tape and AF worked from a mid 80's digital copy, right?

What is wrong with this picture?

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

There are many CDs I love that aren't from the masters. Of course they're not $35 and don't have a large font banner across the packaging claiming they're from the original master tapes. If AF was just honest with this stuff I don't think their customers would get so upset every time this happens. I'm not mad about the sound I'm mad they lied to us again. Seems to happen a lot though. :sigh:

14. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Hey, if it's true, I am not defending deception. But Im not throwing the baby out with the bathwater either. I could find an 80s cd and be happy Im sure for 10 bucks. Or I can spend 21 bucks on the AF and get the best, however marginal of an improvement that is. But marginal to audiophile is pretty much the name of the game with us. Get rid of the original master logo or whatever Id still buy the best sounding version if it's AF. Thats what I care about.

15. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

I finally ordered mine on Friday and now this new bit of news.

AF is trying to live off of their past reputation. Not a good thing.
    Deception is a strong word, but I think that this will probably be the last title I will be ordering from AF.

16. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

How sad. I was looking forward to picking this set up but after reading some of the last few posts, I have strong reservations.

17. therockman

I really do like the way this disc sounds, but if you read my previous posts carefully, I have no previous experience with this title. Regardless, I still feel a little ripped off. :D

18. Greatest Hits

Just curious, have any of the songs from the 'original master' used for the Sundazed issue turned up on recent CD compilations? The "Old Friends" box set, "The Best of Simon & Garfunkel" compilation or "The Essential" set?

19. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Jamie, I get the same implication from this that everyone else does, but can you elaborate? By "perfect sync" do you mean sample-for-sample? But they don't cancel out in a null test correct? There's some EQ applied?

Just trying to nail down the facts of the matter.

20. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Exactly. They stay in perfect sync throughout the entire song but the AF has some tasteful EQ added.

21. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The Sundazed came out after all those CD compilations.

22. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Thanks for reporting your findings, Jamie. :wave:

23. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

At first glance, it's disheartening to learn of the earlier transfer being used, especially if a later, better one is now available. However, the AF version is likely much better than Columbia's and they are the two digital choices. I'm sure there's no no-noise, artificial reverb, digital compression. And, Kevin Gray has his ears and judgment applied, literally, in the mix, to breathe life into the recording.

No doubt, the earlier master will be used down the road. Who wants to wait? If you're already satisfied with the Colombia issues, or your own needledrops, you don't need a new one. If not, this is the best option. The cost is higher, but not prohibitive.

As far as the labeling "from the master tapes", as far as it was known at the time, it was from the best source available, right? I collect old time radio recordings and as recently as last year, new source discs for some 1937 Orson Welles Shadow episodes were found. The search isn't over, it's part of the joy and frustration of collecting.

I say take the AF recording on its own merits and be glad this recording finally got a treatment we can only dream about for some other prominent recordings.

24. Greatest Hits

Okay. Thanks Jamie. So is that the only release that (supposedly) uses the original master (or at least a different transfer)?

25. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

From the original master tapes means it was mastered from the original master tapes, not a digital transfer from the late 80s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.