AF to do Simon & Garfunkel's Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khojem, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Kevin mastered this one....

2. Music Emporium

Music Emporium Forum Resident

it's still on the slip cover.................taking into account what happened in the past, I would have asked directly to AF before drawing any conclussion...anyway it sounds decent

3. Music Emporium

Music Emporium Forum Resident

couldn't it be they used the same analogue tape although not a master tape??

4. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

No, (assuming Jamie is correct of course) it would be impossible for the two to sync perfectly if it was an analog transfer.

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

It's not been on the last couple.

6. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

That's right. As I understand it, analog tape never plays back at exactly the same speed for a variety of reasons. So if two digital files "line up" without going out of sync within a few minutes, it's very likely they were digitized from the same playback session of an analog tape.

Obviously the biggest issue here is that A/D converters have advanced quite a bit since the 80's so, as with the Beatles Help and Rubber Soul stereo remasters sourced from 80's vintage digital, all the various Led Zeppelin remasters all sourced from the same transfer, etc., the result is not at all state of the art.

This is puzzling since Sundazed recently reissued this same LP from the original master tape, so it's not like the tape is missing and using the 80's transfer as a source is the only option.

7. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Following this thread with interest.
    According to AF website all of their releases have "from the original master tapes" on slipcover.

http://www.audiofidelity.net/

Then what happened? Do the images on the AF website differ from the discs that are actually sold?
    Just asking:)

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Playing with the EQ I can hear Homeward Bound had some work done around 3K and 200Hz. Those frequencies cancel out more when the polarity is flipped.

9. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Of course, it could be argued that "from the original master tapes" still applies as long as the transfer was done with that original tape playing back and not a copy of the master. It's just that the transfer was done in the 80's and not specifically for this remastering. It's a technicality that won't go over well with audiophiles perhaps but it's still true in a sense.

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

D'oh! Sorry about that. You're right, it's on there. :wave:

I was thinking of the dynamic range maximization, brickwalled, limited blurb. That's what they removed, I'm guessing because of the Doors and Pretenders CDs that were run through a limiter.

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It's on the slip cover of my copy of Parsley....

12. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I have a feeling this is the future for small companies like AF. All those tapes in Black Mountain. It's probably easier to keep them there and have digital files on hand for licensing. :shrug:

13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

That's right but I figured Steve would know and I don't have Kevin's email.

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

In that case they shouldn't say it's from the original master tapes.

drift likes this.
  15. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Yeah, see the post above this one. I was thinking of the dynamic range, maximization, limiting thing that was taken off the packaging.

16. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I saw pictures from the Alice Cooper mastering session. You can see a sticker on the bottom right of the tape box that says "This tape has been digitally archived." I bet it's really difficult to get the actual analog tapes instead of that digital copy. Most people wouldn't care or even know the difference.

[​IMG]

17. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Has Steve done any AF discs since the problem with The Pretenders?

18. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Damn right I care if "From The Original Master Tapes" is how they're advertising their product. :realmad:

19. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Yes, he's done quite a few since then. That was the only one where he worked with another mastering engineer. It involved compiling various sound effects and music on Pro Tools so someone else is co-credited with the mastering.

20. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

So does this thing sound better than the 80s cd? Sorry, don't want to go back and read every post. I've given up on worrying about if something is actually transfered from the original tapes. I just want to know does it sound the best or not?

Damn I wish AF would have just went ahead and did the mono. We wouldn't be scratching our heads. And I wish theyd take pics of every masterreel box so we could see what we are getting.

21. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Stefan, Jamie: many thanks for your replies

22. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Yes.

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

To my ears it does.

24. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Well, thats good news. I don't have this album in any digital form. Well, I have the Friends boxset but those are remixes IIRC. So I guess eventhough this is digitally sourced( apparently) but probably is the best sounding original mix Parsely out there then it's very worth having.

25. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

lets see: Digital transfers that sound the best out there of any mastering. digital source fees are cheaper so more money for AF to do more titles? Maybe thats not a bad thing either? Or are we pissed? Maybe I am softening but I don't give a sh**. Just make it sound the best without glitches and problems and I am satisfied to a great degree. Well, other than the fact I miss the old DCC signature sound :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.