AF to do Simon & Garfunkel's Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khojem, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

I confused wishing and facts.

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

You can find out on the 7:00 news.

3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

:confused:

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

After you find out Lenny Bruce died I guess.

5. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

OK - I just did some more comparative listening between my original Columbia CD & the new AF CD & I think I have to say that I agree with what Jamie is saying here. (If I knew how to pull clips & put them together in a single file, I would. Others are MUCH better at it than I am. It would take me an eternity.)

I think these 2 CDs are the same mix. Anytime I hear even the tiniest little anomaly in the old CD, I hear it in the new one also. (And yes, that could be because those little anomalies were on the master tape.) Now I know I could be opening up a "can" here, but honestly it wouldn't surprise me to hear that they both came from the same tape. As Jaime said, the AF has slightly more low end & is "clearer" - but otherwise they are very, very close.

"Homeward Bound" is the song that "bothers" me the most here. The very first note from the guitar *almost* sounds (at least to me) as if the volume was being increased as it is struck. (That's the only way I can describe it.) And it's that way on both CDs - but it's not that way on my original vinyl. On the LP it rings true. I don't have Bob Irwin's LP to compare how it sounds there.

So I'll say it - and trust me, I want to be wrong here. We know that Bob found a better source tape for PSR&T - he's said so in interviews. But was this the same tape that was provided to AF?

Someone who has both CDs - please - tell me my 57 year old ears are shot & that I'm full of it. But I just don't know. Maybe I was expecting more of a revelation. The AF is slightly louder (not much at all), there's more clarity in the music & the bass is slightly louder. I definitely like the AF more - for these reasons, but I'm still trying to understand why (when I listen to them both) I was not blown away by the new one.

Dexter

6. therockman

Read post #402, Luke will explain. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:cheers:

7. therockman

This is interesting. This is my first experience with this title, so I can't add any insight into your observations, but I sure hope that others here can add something. Like I said earlier, I am happy with this new Audio Fidelity disc, I have played it several times. But I would like to know more about the source tape.

8. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident Thread Starter

Take a listen to A Simple Desultory Philippic (or How I Was Robert McNamara'd into Submission).

9. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

The Bob Irwin Sundazed isnt a remix, right? If so this question is easily solved by comparing the Bob Irwin to the AF cd.

10. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Just to be completely clear, I'm not trying to cause a problem here. S&G and the Byrds come right after the Beatles for me - their music is that important to me. I like the new AF CD A LOT! If you do not own this title on CD - or maybe you own the remix from 2001 (which I also like) & want the original mix, I think you will find this release to be phenomenal & I recommend it highly. All I'm saying is that when compared to my original CD, I did not hear the kind of tremendous eye-popping difference that I expected - and that I hear some of the same characteristics in this CD that I hear in the earlier one.

There are people who are far more edumacated about these things than I am & certainly have better ears than I do, so I will fully admit that I could way off here.

Dexter

11. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Because you never heard the album. The above are references to songs on the album. It's really is about the music.

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I don't know if this has been covered in this thread, but has anyone compared the Japanese 32DP and/or 25DP discs to the original U.S. issue? If anyone is interested, I could post EAC peak levels for the 32DP and 25DP discs tonight. I don't have the original U.S. issue for comparison.

13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Clearly I am not real familiar with this album but my question about the higher price is still a legitimate one.

Pretty harsh to suggest this unfamiliarity extends to other areas.

Luke, you need to chill out. It's just a music forum, not a religion. At least I am out there exploring new and old music.

14. therockman

I am not Luke, but I am the one that is at fault here; not Luke. It was my pitiful attempt at some "inside" humour, and I am sorry that not everybody understood it.

15. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

No worries. I got the humor after the joke was explained to me. :D

Luke's tone just came across a bit harsh to me in his reply which is why I replied the way I did.

16. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Just peeled the shrink off of mine. Looks sublime. Reports later.

17. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

Keith I can post peaks from my copy this evening some time. I believe I have one of the earliest DADC pressings and will include all matrix information for you to confirm this if possible. Can someone also post the levels from the new AF disc, please? :wave:

18. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Lee,

therockman and Luke were only citing lyrics from the album.

19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

It put LeeS at a disadvantage.

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Huh?

7 O'Clock News/Silent Night.

21. KeithH

Thanks! I'll post EAC peak levels for the 32DP and 25DP discs tonight.

22. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Just thought I'd dig out my old copy of PSRT. I picked it up in a used CD shop years ago. It's CDCBS62825 disc done in Japan and sleeve printed in Holland.

Here are the peak values:

Track 1: 60.6 %
    Track 2: 95.8 %
    Track 3: 70.3 %
    Track 4: 66.4 %
    Track 5: 68.8 %
    Track 6: 68.0 %
    Track 7: 70.8 %
    Track 8: 56.6 %
    Track 9: 62.7 %
    Track 10: 57.2 %
    Track 11: 70.5 %
    Track 12: 41.7 %

23. KeithH

These match the peak levels for my Japanese 32DP and 25DP discs. Here is more information on my discs:

1. 32DP 283: "CSR COMPACT DISC" repeating in the plastic ring, matrix code is "32DP-283 11A3 +++++"

2. 25DP 5132: "CSR" stamped on the plastic ring, matrix code is "25DP-5132 11A7 +++++"

24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

See first quote.

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

See first quote what? I think I'm missing something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.