Aerosmith Rocks SACD is alive!

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by OE3, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Free shipping makes it a bargin. :D

2. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident

I would imagine all retail copies were destroyed... only a few promo copies made it out... but who knows...

3. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

For $12,500 it better come with 3 really hot groupies with it. Jeez...

4. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Maybe someone in Aerosmith will buy it. I bet if Tyler and Perry put there money together they could make an offer!

5. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Eddie, you are one good looking man, easily one of the most handsome I've ever seen. Your intellect is as keen as your style--and your taste. Will you marry me? That way, I have access to your Rocks, literally.

6. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

What does this part of the listing mean?

"The only one ever offered"?? Can the seller guarantee the accuracy of that statement (whatever the heck it means)?

I have a feeling this one will be sitting on eBay for a while, like David Bowie AU20 Gold Cd Low Limited Edition #0001!!!!! for $3,000 (Buy It Now), that the seller keeps relisting again and again.

Then again, maybe there's a millionaire Aerosmith fan out there who's ready to give up caviar for a month to rock out in high res. :)

I'll bet it's a sweet sounding SACD; I'd be willing to spend up to $50 if I ever came across one of these discs.

Craig.

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I am not aware of another copy of the Rocks SACD surfacing, let alone being offered for sale. The seller is probably correct in his assertion, though he can't be 100% certain.

This SACD is far more significant than the 0001 Bowie gold disc. First, the Bowie gold disc is fairly common. All copies are identical except for the number. The number does not guarantee that it is the first gold disc to have been pressed, and even if it was, it doesn't matter. They all look and sound the same. Having 0001 is a curiosity but really not significant. If I have copy 1343, it's the only copy 1343 in existence. It's just a number. Besides, one can make a CD-R of the gold disc that sounds identical to the original, or some would argue, possibly even better than the original.

The Rocks SACD, for now, is a one-of-a-kind item in a very popular audiophile format. It also cannot be readily copied. There is a big difference between it and the Bowie gold CD.

8. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

It has drill hole in the case. That should knock off $10 grand. :D

9. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Not to brag, but I have a CD of the quad mix, so that'll have to tide me over until Eddie marries me.

10. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Didn't mean my comment to imply that the two listings were equivalent in rare-ness, etc.

I was simply predicting that this Aerosmith Rocks SACD listing for $12,500 BIN is likely to sit unsold and have to be relisted again and again before it sells.

However, I do believe that the two listings are similar in that they're both overpriced (IMO), and since they're both "Buy It Now" without any auction option, there is no chance for either listing to see what the market will actually bear.

For $12,500, I'd think an audiophile could buy an excellent turntable, plus a mint vinyl copy of this album, which could get them pretty damn close to (if not exceed :shh: ) the sound quality potential of the SACD edition.

Full disclosure: I'm no stranger to the folly of over-estimating the value of a rarity. I've had limited edition #1 of the Zappa 200 Motels Rykodisc promo key up for sale on Gemm.com for $175 since 2002!

Maybe one of these days I'll put it up on eBay as an auction with a low starting value, to see what the market will actually bear. But if I look honestly at myself, I think I might have to admit that I really don't want to sell it for what it's really worth, after all. . . .

Craig.

11. Raxel

Raxel Senior Member

It only costs 5 cents to list a cd on ebay every 30 days, so seller doesn't really care.

12. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

These two auctions have nothing in common.

Someone will buy it, who has a lot of coin. If I were rich, I would!!!

13. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I also have a dvd-audio someone ripped from a vinyl quad mix that sounds awesome.

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Well, if the SACD sells, it's worth $12,500. If not, it's not.

Stay tuned for more examples of my sheer brilliance. Coming soon to a post near you. :D

15. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

:righton:

Zappa: "A true Zen saying: Nothing is what I want ... "

:)

Even it it doesn't sell for $12,500, perhaps this listing will encourage other copies of this SACD to emerge for sale at "bargain" prices, such as in the 4-figure range.

Craig.

16. OE3

OE3 Senior Member Thread Starter

A few years ago, not long after I 'found' the holy grail I listed Rocks in the Classifieds for $3000. It didn't sell. But now a few more years have passed, and my skeptical view of the rarity of this disc has changed -- I am more convinced than ever that another will not turn up. Nine years have passed since it was manufactured. I live in the promo capital. I have several friends who work as buyers, floor guys, etc at Amoeba and other stores. Another copy has not been spotted (TTBOMK). Where are these things?? A) a Sony warehouse sitting on a pallet, b) destroyed.
    PS. I own a minty WLP of Rocks. Even though it was cut at Sterling Sound, it does not match the SACD. I wanted the vinyl to be superior, but I can't say it is.
    PPS. I'm no stranger to one-of-a-kind rarities. Eight years ago, I auctioned a Rivers Cuomo (of Weezer fame) demo from 1989 with his hair band, Avant Garde. Only 50 copies were made, and I had the entire promo pack + a personal letter from Rivers. It still is the only copy ever to surface. (see it at www.mikesworldofweezer.com: PICS > AVANT GARDE PICS.) Only fetched $271 in a straight auction. I was disappointed. NEVER AGAIN! :laugh:

17. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Hey I wish you all the luck Eddie, I hope you get every dime!

As far as rarity, that is one for the record books.

18. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

wow, you're cute!

19. I doubt there are more than a handful of surviving copies of it in existence. It is very likely a stash of them are in a landfill somewhere. Even if a few hundred copies made it onto the market, the relative lack of differentiation from a normal cd might push regular consumers to toss it in the trash when it won't play on a regular cd player.

Personally I feel that price is way overestimating its value though. Asking five digits is a reach, even for an item of this rarity.

20. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

The only way to find out is to ask. Good luck!

21. OE3

OE3 Senior Member Thread Starter

Pics 1/11/10

Just out of Photoshop. :laugh:
    Note: the booklet is standard 1993 Anesini remaster. No mention of anything hi-rez. All SACD credits on tray insert.

Attached Files:

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The problem with items that are cancelled is that all it takes is one record company or pressing plant employee holding a box of the item in his/her closet. Beatles collectors are familiar with:

1. Yesterday and Today butcher cover - Capitol Exec Alan Livingston had a box of assorted sealed butchers in his closet for decades. They finally turned up at a Beatles convention sold by his son.

2. Leave My Kitten Alone picture sleeve - Prices were nearing 4 figures when a young man carrying a box of them (and a LOT of picture sleeves fit in a box) showed up at a famous LA record store.

3. Concert for Bangla Desh two-disc version. Initially thought to be non-existent, there was a guy with a couple boxes of these who dribbled them into the market over the years. I bought a nice sealed (no promo cut) copy from the guy, who shall remain unnamed (because I can't remember his name).

4. Ringo (w/long version of "Six o'clock). One of the guys originally involved in the production of the album had a box of these in his closet for over 20 years. I was happy to finally get one.

Of course, some stuff never shows up. I still wait for someone to show up with a box of "Put it There" promo 7" singles, but it hasn't happened yet, and we're 20 years down the road.

Fun stuff, and a great, mysterious SACD.

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I hope you get your price, Eddie. $12K is a lot of coin. Whoever buys it will definitely be happy, and so will the seller.

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Just my opinion, but I feel that to reach anywhere near expected asking price the disc needs to have cultural significance.

Dylan's Freewheelin' - with tracks removed out of potential controversy, or BOTT acetate which shows an important album's growth artistically.

Beatles Butcher - which also reflects concerns over potentially or very real controversy.

Paul McCartney - Red Rose Speedway - double acetate showing original direction of an important artist's major album at a time in his early post Beatles career.

Aerosmith lack this cultural impact. The disc lacks alt. material or artwork as the above materials have. If there was a 5.1 mix then that would help prop it up somewhat.

The price listed is just asking for a nonpaying bidder to come along and mess with Eddie's head.

25. chaz

chaz Senior Member

Hey Eddy (or somebody locally in LA), maybe a phone call to Dave Donnelly at DNA Mastering might shed some light about the SACD.

DNA Mastering
    1756 Flower Street
    Glendale CA 91201
    818 244 2500

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.