Adventures In Mastering: DIO "Holy Diver" AF Gold CD version: PHOTOS at post #8..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That is only a personalized Gold Box deal, not available to the public. Those appear from time to time and give you an extra 5% off.

2. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have only listened to this disc a few times; I really like it but I have never owned this title before so I have nothing to compare it against. We listened to it a couple of times on Superbowl Sunday; great fun for all. My only question is what is up with the different colors on the sleeve?

4. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

What are your impressions of the sound quality?
    I'm dying to hear this.

5. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

god bless steve hoffman for doing this

6. Terry

Terry Senior Member

This was one title that got a big yawn from me when announced; however, after playing it last night I am charmed by its '80s vibe. Never heard the complete album before. Thoroughly enjoyable experience.

7. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

It's a great album. The follow up "The Last In Line" is every bit as good.

I hope Audio Fidelity does that title too, if not more DIO. :righton:

8. thorbs

thorbs Active Member

The sound quality is good, like you would expect. I think the drums finally sound as good as they can considering the original recording and mixing. I wish Mr. Ken Scott would have been on the board for this one (and a bunch of other metal albums with weak drum sound).

Dio's vocals sound more ambient and with better spacing and life. Shame on the Night in particular sounds the best I have heard. Oh, and the "galloping guitars" sound great also.

Another Steve Hoffman home run, but other masterings have been at least a triple. Still a worthy upgrade for me.

No, I have not yet compared this to any vinyl - original UK or USA or others. Maybe this weekend.

9. Panthers26

Panthers26 Forum Resident

Anybody wondering how the Audio Fidelity sounds compared with the upcoming Universal Andy Pearce Remaster? They are doing deluxe editions of Holy Diver, The Last In Line and Sacred Heart.

10. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

Oh, yes. Do you have the answer ;)

11. Panthers26

Panthers26 Forum Resident

I don't have either yet but i want to compare them! The universal comes out at the end of March. I don't know why so many people have a problem with the 2005 Universal remaster, sounds better than the original CD to me. The original just sounds thin, typical early CD sound. I like my UK 1st Press Vinyl best for now.

12. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

I lost my virginity while Holy Diver was playing on my stereo...
    Ronnie is no longer amongst us, neither is the girl that lost her virginity as well that day.

I hope Steve did a good job... Just this memory alone is worth it.

13. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

So it this one out yet? Where did you get it? Amazon says 14 February

14. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

AF subscribers get it early :shh:

15. Anonamemouse

This is what was in my email this morning:

Thank you for shopping with us at ImportCds.com. We are pleased to send you this shipping update for your Order

Artist / Title
    Dio / Holy Diver

Total Items Ordered: 1
    Total Currently Shipped: 1
    Total Currently Open: 0

Mine seems to be underway...

16. Ordered! Can't wait to get it in the mail! An album I should have listened to for many years now, it's just the right time!

17. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I got the chance to crank up this release last night and it kicked me all over the place! The sound of the drums and Dio's voice have improved drastically. I am going to be playing this one for a while.

18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Mine is on it's way from Best Buy. Should have it next week.

19. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The best pressing!!! Sounds much better than the Rock Candy reissue and better than my original Japan release. Highly recommended for the Dio fans.

20. cathare34

cathare34 Forum Resident

Just preorder it on amazon uk normally for this week....I can't wait to hear it.

21. RichardG

RichardG Forum Resident

I pre ordered with Amazon UK mid Jan for £17.58 (approx $28) and they're showing release date of 14th Feb (tomorrow!) but estimated delivery of 22 Feb...this is odd as I have a Prime account for next day delivery.

I can only assume it's coming from the States rather than a UK warehouse.

In any case, it sounds like it'll be worth the wait! I've got an original (maybe a repress) UK vinyl and Dio Anthology CDs to compare it too.

Hoping Gypsy lives up to my expectations, and yes, BRING ON THE LAST IN LINE!!! (Please!?)

Ta!

22. TStewart422

TStewart422 Forum Resident

I've spent several nights trying to make this sound good in Adobe Audition. Last night was another one. Can't wait for this CD to come in the mail so I can learn how it's really done.

23. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

Amazon UK can be a bit on the sluggish side when getting the Audio Fidelity releases - I remember waiting for weeks when Alice Cooper Schools Out was released

24. Anonamemouse

It just arrived! Am making sure my neighbors are enjoying it too.
    Steve, excellent job!

25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

How does Invisible sound?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.