Adhesive labels on the top of CD cases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave G., Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

Good idea! I've been using a paper towel.

2. George P

George P Notable Member

yeah, my brother showed me that trick! It works wonderfully!

3. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Sure, they are annoying - and I know what you mean, cause I've dealt with them too often when I receive an US import in the mail. In Europe, where CDs typically are not sealed (at least that's not the way they are sold in the shops) we have to deal with a different problem. Every single record store has its own price tag system, and often the stickers are put directly on the CD case. Sometimes they're easy to remove, but there are also stores that cause a hell of a hassle to get their price tags off the jewel case. It has come down to a point that I avoid visiting certain record stores because of that.

4. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

At least they stopped putting these stickers on CDs:

Attached Files:

5. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Did I somehow miss the abolition of the record store?!

6. bw

bw Forum Resident

I actually like the silver dog-bone stickers on the side of the OJC cd's. Every time I crack the seal on a new one it just reminds me that some day they will be gone.

So I enjoy it while I can.

7. Frodis

Frodis New Member

Or worse, I can't figure out why a DVD needs these bloody things on all 3 opening sides!?!? :realmad: Try getting THOSE babies off without stretching or scratching the thin vinyl layer!

8. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

That is one of my major DVD peeves.

And, the incredible variety of spindles and hubs in side the case, many of which make it very difficult to pry the disk free :(

9. Nothing quite as bad as what FYE puts on their used discs. I just throw those jewel cases away! :(

-s1m0n-

10. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

After unhinging from the bottom, I use a serrated kitchen knife and split the sticker along the slit. After I can open the case, it's relatively easy to peel the sticker off each side. Still, it would be easier not to have to deal with it at all.

Doug

11. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

they are very annoying on jewel cases, but some labels insist on putting stickers on digi-paks which drives me NUTS!!!! Every Universal release these days seems to have a sticker declaring it a 'special edition'

12. Trebor

Trebor Forum Resident

The seal stickers are bad enough, but the really insulting part is the supposed tab that one is suppose to pull to open the seal. I don't think I've ever come one that actually worked. I now always just use a razor blade and cut down the front seam between the tray and the cover.

13. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

I just learned something new. Thank you, Punkrok!

14. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I've had the same thought, they just seem to be mocking us :(

15. George P

George P Notable Member

What about used CD price stickers?

Do folks bother to clean these up or replace with new cases? It seems a little unwise, considering it will get scratched from shelf use anyway...

16. stevef

stevef Senior Member

That little tab that says "pull" is difficult to pull. If the tab didn't have adhesive on it, it might be easier to get to.
    For me it seems the newer CDs I have less problem with, but with the older CDs...(ones that have been in the racks for a while), the security strips tend to want to stay on permanently. If I can get it off, they constantly tear so it takes several attempts.

Aside from these security strips, I also absolutely hate the little metal security tags that sometimes come inside new CDs. They can discovered under the tray when you first remove the CD from the spindle. I can't get those off. They're such an eyesore for me I usually end up replacing the entire jewel case.

17. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Hate, hate, hate 'em.

18. stevef

stevef Senior Member

I remove all price stickers. The only stickers I might not touch are the ones that sometimes are applied to digipacks... like the Moody Blues SACDs. I didn't want to risk damaging the package.

If a jewel case is severely scratched up, I usually will replace it with a good quality jewel case. The very subtle marks I can live with. Same for lift-lock cases.
    If one is careful with new cases, they can last for many years without looking bad.

19. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

I'm more bothered by the huge, ugly FBI Warning logos printed on the cd's themselves. Those you can't get rid of.

20. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident

:realmad: Hate them!!

21. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

The anti-theft aspects of CD security seals represent a minor part of their true purpose. A broken seal means the CD is non-returnable to the distributor. As long as labels refuse to accept returns of opened CDs, they will need some kind of indicator.

A retailer may well benefit by the seals preventing some forms of shoplifting, but the record companies don't care. They profit from retail shoplifting. Just wanted to point this out...now, back to the griping about the mess these things leave on CD cases.

22. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Eucalyptus oil is the best for removing this gunk.. :)

23. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Those bloody things make me mental. Just another reason to p*** off people enough to not bother with buying them.

24. George P

George P Notable Member

But the CD can be opened and listened to without breaking the seal.

25. filper

filper Forum Resident

I firmly believe that satan patented the acid-bile adhesive that is used to stick these morphic things to the cases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.