AC/DC Remastered

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harry Krishner, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Here is the a clip of "You Shook Me All Night Long"in .wav format that I took from the JVC Disc America U.S. CD.

http://www.mediafire.com/?e2hz2ey3n2m

2. Wmacky

Wmacky Forum Resident

It will be good to hear Barry's thoughts after he samples the discs. I'm currently thrilled just to have the original US releases of all the ACDC cd's. When rebuilding my collection from 0 a few years back, the first cd was the newly remastered BIB. Next was the remastered Judas Priest, and Maiden. It was a tri fecta of failure! Those were the last new cds I ever bought.

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have three copies of BIB - 32XD, US LP Sleeve (Ted Jensen) and Dual Disc (George Marino). I actually like the Marino -- especially when I run my subwoofer. You can actually shake the windows in my apartment -- fun.

I've been trying to find a 20P pressing since my 32XD pressing is wrecked. It used to be fairly common around here for $20 or so. But, they seem to have dried up, and I seem to get outbid at auctions. Oh well, patience.

By the way, I'm too lazy to google this -- why is the track order different on the Jensen disc that I have (begins with BIB, and ends with Have a Drink on Me)?

4. LesPaul666

This may be the one that came with the BonFire box set? I know there are newer versions that have this "tampered-with running order". Maybe it was their original intention, or something...

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

My Japan "For Those About to Rock" 20P2-2434 says that it was mastered by Bob Ludwig at Masterdisk (sounds great to me). Does anyone know if Barry's mastering can be found on a Japan pressing?

6. ricks

ricks Senior Member

One sold on the forum yesterday for $150. WOW! Looks like this boat has sailed. My 32xd is great but I'm not so sure it's sounds $150++ better than my US Atlantic, glad I got it when I did.

Rick

7. LesPaul666

That credit is for the original LP vinyl mastering. Barry *did* indeed master the 20P CD, even though his name may not be listed.

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Ahh, OK. Add me to the list of supporters, then. Barry's For Those About to Rock sounds terrific -- C.O.D. (Care of the Devil) -- what a great, silly track!

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

This was me. I got a good paycheck this week, and I felt like splurging. Sorry if I set the bar too pricey for future buyers...

Yeah, $150 is too much for a cd. ANY cd, but its only money...

10. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Enjoy! If it's anything like my 32XD, your Back In Black search is over.

Rick

11. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Okay, I've gotten a good listen to an Atlantic CD and to a 32XD.
    Here is what I heard:

While I know for sure (because I had them myself) that my work was released on Atlantic, the Atlantic "Back In Black" I listened to (matrix 3 16018-2 src=08 m11s2) is definitely not my work.

I'm not talking about a difference in pressings, this is a different mastering. I'm hearing compression, high pass filtering and perhaps, low pass filtering, along with some -to my ears- not so well done treble EQ.

The 32XD sounds like my work to me. I'm hearing the master tape, wide, unfiltered bandwidth and the punch (such as it is) of the original mixes from the 1/2" analog tapes.

I don't hear these two as being remotely close to each other in sound. The Atlantic is to my ears, a good argument against compression. This isn't the brickwall, level madness compression we get on most records today. This is the "tasteful" use of compression. I know some folks like this sound and that's fine. To my ears -particularly when compared against the uncompressed version- the life, the energy, the testicularity are gone.

So, Dave, in a way you nailed it. It wasn't that my mastering was "compromised" since it isn't my mastering. But "atrocity" isn't off the mark when you consider that music like this should have stones and on the Atlantic, they've been removed.

That's "Back In Black".
    Now I wonder about "For Those About To Rock" - which I remember sounding even better.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

12. No.6

No.6 Forum Resident

Thanks for the post Barry. Funny, I just came across one of these Back In Black CDs with almost an identical matrix code (at least I definitely remember seeing the "SRC=08"). Glad I held off in purchasing being that there was some speculation here that there may have been a secret remaster done.

Oh well, the search continues... :sigh:

And thanks again for all of your informative posts on this forum.

- D

13. LesPaul666

Mine is a JVC Disc America 16018-2-2T (22 in small numbers) matrix. I wonder how this one stacks up against the others.

14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Ha!

15. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

My West German pressing of "For Those About to Rock" also states that it was mastered by Bob Ludwig. Is "matrix code" a reference to the text printed around the center hole on the back of the disk? If so, the matrix code on this is 7567 11111-2 2895 787 01.

16. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I'm pretty sure the Ludwig credit is from the vinyl. . .

17. JeffN727

JeffN727 Forum Resident

Bob Ludwig mastered the original vinyl of Back In Black. I have a copy that I bought about a week after it was released, still in excellent shape!

I also have an Atlantic CD with this matrix number:
    3 16018-2 SRC-07, with M5 S1. Made in USA by WEA Manufacturing. No bar code on the back. It sounds great to me. I don't need any remastered versions of this album!
    :cool:

18. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

What is the matrix number on your copy? We can compare it wtih what is in the other thread.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=122097

19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Just compared Back in Black - Barry's mastering, Ted Jensen, and George Marino. Add me to the list. The other masterings aren't bad (in fact, if I were a strip club owner, maybe I'd want the Marino), but Barry's mastering sounds alive. I've seen AC/DC twice in concert, and the sound of the rhythm section bass/drums/Mal's guitar sounds very close to what you hear at a show. While I don't think that the difference is worth $100+, it's definitely worth owning.

The 20P2 Japan pressing of For Those About To Rock also has that sound, and I assume that it is Barry's mastering. Are there other titles that have the same sound?

20. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

:laugh: Whaaat??? Maybe I need to hear this one.

21. bdiament

22. bdiament

23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Note that I am only commenting on the differences between Barry's mastering and two others I have that are credited in the CD booklet to Jensen and Marino. The Diament mastering is my preferred disc -- the other two are still good. I have not tried the DVD two-track mix, since I would have needed to use a different player, which would compromise the results.

I do have the ability to run a digital output from a DVD player to my Denon AV amp, let the DAC's in the Denon do the work, then go via analogue outs to an MC275 power amp. But, to cut to the chase, has anyone given the DVD a good listen? How did it sound?

24. LesPaul666

You may regret it.;) :D

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Maybe he owns a strip club? Seriously, though, the video on the dual disc is pretty good. If this one is still available, I would recommend it -- I'm sure it will be a collector's item some day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.