Abbey Road - CP35-3016 - The Definitive Guide

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by moptop, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

the other point is-that a CP35 is an EMI catalogue number, whereas a Sony should be 35DP ..I can't see much difference between the scans posted in the link. Are there any other Sony Black Triangles..I thought they were 3/4 Blackfaces. Or are we just talking about the actual pressing plants used, when we say a Sony version?

Is this the only time EMI and Sony produced the same CD? It just seems so unusual :confused:

2. I have a scuffed one, the cover is water damaged
    and the disc has a "stabiliser ring" stuck to it.

It still sounds great and I might part with it for a reasonable offer!

3. moptop

moptop Forum Resident Thread Starter

17A1 image request

Could I trouble you please for either a digital image of the disc lying flat so I can create an image to place along side the17A1 fake. I already have.

[​IMG] 17A1 FAKE

This would really help everyone thank you.

Does your copy have a Gold Sticker or Obi and was it a bubble pack version?

Thanks in advance .

Moptop

4. moptop

Price

Hopefully this research will show that the disc is not as rare as people seem to think and the opposite will happen .

I would agree with the current rate being in the region of $125.

Copies with Obi's and sealed will always attract high values even if a better version were released tomorrow. That is the nature of collecting. However lesser copies need not sell for such silly amounts.

There are at least two shops that always seem to have a copy for sale around $400 , without obi or sticker.

There is currently one on ebay from a Japanese seller cheap but they are not confirming any details. It may be a cheap original or an expensive fake.

Nice to see that the fake disappeared. Especially as it was at $86 last I saw.

More latter Moptop

5. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

If the pending remasters are very good the CP35 CD will become a peice of memorabilia and the price will probably flatten. If those CDs ever borderline in quality that CD is going to go up in price. This forum alone creates a lot of demand.

6. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

I've learned the hard way around here that there's but little chance that the new Beatles remastered cds...whenever they finally come out.....will ever sound as good as the CP35-3016.

It's one cd they're gonna have to pry from my cold, dead hands!

Dave likes this.
  7. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

already done in this thread :righton:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=124781&highlight=abbey+road

8. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Hope is nice, but to be totally realistic - If the recent "Let It Be... Naked", "One", and "Yellow Submarine Songtracks" are any indication, and I've no reason to see why they won't be; the pending remaster's will be a horribly Digitally Compressed, and NR'd affair. I think we need to accept that no new issue will exceed the original CD releases.

Rick

Dave likes this.
  9. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

Hear, Hear.....I second what Rick said!

10. moptop

So t5

Do you have either have the gold sticker or obi with these two. Did they come in a bubble wrap?

Are the two audio clones or does one sound better than the other? Do they have the same CDID?

Any help gratefully received by all I am sure.

Moptop

11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Thanks for the re-direct, counselor. :D

Although, all those charts 'n' graphs made me eyes glaze over, just like Algebra II in high school...:D (No offense meant to SolarWind, who put in some real work on his presentation. Also thanks to Moptop for organising this thread!)

One thing that surprised me was the assertion that the bass is rolled off below 100 Hz on the Side Two tracks; I don't hear any lack of low frequency info on my '87 CD, nor added brightness on the post-"Here Comes The Sun" tracks. Of course, I may just be so used to hearing it presented this way, that my brain "fills in" the missing information.

12. moptop

Russian Mini LP's

Sorry missed this one earlier .

Aren't the mini LP CD's currently flooding shops , fairs and the internet made by one of two different Russian companies hence the variations available.

I have no idea of their sources but if their past history on mastering is anything to go by. Unless you are looking for a curio I would look elsewhere.

Moptop

13. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

i.e., they're bootlegs?

14. moptop

Not Bootlegs but Not authorized either.

It makes a nonsense of ebay canceling the FAKE CP35-3016 if they did , do a search on mini LP's don't bother with an artist. :shake:

BPI - Descriptions of the various unauthorized releases.

1. Bootleg

Recordings of live performances - either of a concert or a broadcast - made without the permission of the artist and/or rightsowner.

(What about unauthorized studio material ???? Sorry Not a good description BPI)

2. Counterfeit

Replicas of legitimate recordings including packaging and graphics.

3. Pirate

These are duplicates of original sound recordings, which are then marketed on other labels with different packaging and graphics.

15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Ah, counterfeit; thank you. Well, if the Fabs don't see any $ from them, I ain't buying.

16. moptop

Back To CP35-3016

I agree very little difference in the artwork between them , I only show all variations I have received as I got a verbal bashing early days when it was suggested tha there were two let alone ten different pressings.

The story goes that Toshiba EMI/Odeon were not able to press at the time of release and the first batches were sub contracted to SONY/CRS .

I have not been able to confirm this.

I am also looking to compare the Disc moulds and matrices of some 'Target' CD's from 1983 to see if I can tie down more details on the two different hub moulds and two Toshiba matrix layouts.

'KH' if you are reading can you help with this?

Only one person has confirmed having an Obi version , of all the forums out there I can not believe that there is only one owner here.

Come on guys through us ALL a bone.

More latter , off to get a single malt , purely medicinal :D

Moptop

17. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Thanks Moptop, I was just thinking the same about KeithH, would have been my first call as well:) Interesting though if this did happen. Presumably, there would only have been one or two pressing plants which were "CD capable" at this point in time.
    You are welcome. In my experience, its only by direct comparison that you will hear such things as bass rolled off etc. I have been "perfectly happy" with some Cds and then forum member has said "if you think thats good,you should check out the japan first press etc" and when you have both to compare side by side, it becomes a lot easier.YMMV.

18. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Is anyone able to post pics of these CDs? Not the jackets.

19. moptop

Yes .

Most are here including the fake, however two Sony /CBS pressings are missing .

Moptop's NEW AR Page

I have offered to put together a guide, but so far help has been in short supply.

Some improved images would also be appreciated.

It appears the tray image is corrupted I will try and sort tonight , if not in the morning

Once I have the images I will go n and post images of the audio waves comparing the glass mastered fake and an original. However , I have only received cue sheets for a coupe of matrices , so it is difficult to compare versions.

One member here owns one, and an image would be appreciated.

Secondly several of you own a genuine 17A1 , an image of the playing surface whether a digital photo where the image is still a circle or scan would be very helpful .

Thank you in advance or your help.

Moptop

20. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Who the heck made this counterfeits?
    Wow, where's Orson Welles when you need 'im...

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Thank you so much. I have no help to offer, as I don't have a CD of Abbey Road.

I'd like one, though, if anyone has an extra.

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member

BTW, I assume these sound better than the 1987 CD?

23. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

My scanner washes everything out and my camera sucks, but here is what I was able to get after quite a bit of playing around. Top side with Matrix. Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Nice picture - good job.

25. william shears

william shears Senior Member

Yep very good job. I've tried every way to get a shot of the rim of mine. Way more difficult than I thought it would be. My scanner just does not read the info on the disc!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.