ABBA Definitive Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by btomarra, Aug 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

I had both. I liked the sound on the Gold and More Gold. To me, the box set gives a bit more clarity in the stereo separation. I hear a bit more detail on the box.

But I agree with those on this forum who have said on other threads that the further up to the present you go, the worse sounding ABBA's catalog becomes.

To me personally, though, I like the sound of the box. It may edge out just a bit the two Gold anthologies.

Brian

2. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

Just in case it was missed, here is a pointer to an Abba thread from last December:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=800

With Mr H's help, we concluded that Greatest Hits (1984 Atlantic 19114-2, West Germany, target label) is the most tolerable sounding release and therefore the one to get. The only one, pretty much. :(

Note that GHVol2 (1984 Atlantic 16009-2, West Germany, target label) is different and not good like GH.

Compared to GH, The Singles Collection is quite compressed. :( :(

Later CD issues of Abba albums and collections just seem to get worse and worse and worse. :realmad:

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

When you guys mention target labels on ABBA GH 1 & 2, do you mean the original W. Germany green labels, or the red/black outer ring 2nd pressings? Sound quality would be same on both, I would think. Just curious,

ED:cool:

4. Mart

Mart New Member

I personally don't know which is which but I prefer the European 24bit SBM Au CD of the "GH" album.
    [​IMG]

5. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

Yes, the green ones are the ones I am describing. I have not heard any differently-labeled copies of these discs.

FFF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.