A report of the Salvo label reissue of "Procol Harum"(debut)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PhilCohen, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Which "Westside" stereo release of "Homburg" are you refering to? One of the two stereo versions of "Homburg" on Westside's 3-CD box set "30th Anniversary Anthology" is a previously unreleased version. In short, there are three versions of "Homburg":
    1. The stereo version by the Brooker/Fisher/Knights/Royer/Harrison line-up(this is the stereo version with slightly audible, out of tune guitar)
    2.The mono single version. Basically the same take as the first version, but with live-during-mono mixdown drum overdubs by B.J. Wilson.
    3.A total re-make by Brooker/Fisher/Knights/Wilson(with no guitar). This debuted on "30th Anniversary Anthology".

2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

#1, I think. The Salvo version sounds better, I think; but I just got the CD today, so caveat emptor. The mono single version definitely sounds better* on Salvo but, in that case, I was comparing it to the Nick Watson-remastered Westside Procol Harum CD.

*The previously-mentioned added reverb on the vocal, which I don't care for.

3. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Did the 45 single of "Homburg" not have the reverb?

4. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

They did the same in this one, I'm listening to it now. Bone rattling low bass, no mid bass or much midrange to speak of. I'll keep the disc for the bonus tracks, but damn, I hoped it would sound at least as good as the 2-cd Best Of on Castle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.