A report of the Salvo label reissue of "Procol Harum"(debut)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PhilCohen, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Sorry, I meant level matched audio clips.

2. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

Some waveform pictures.

A Christmas Camel:

First from the Westside:

Attached Files:

3. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Same track from the Cube CD:

Attached Files:

4. Dr. Merkwürdigli

I will try to post some audio clips tomorrow.

5. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

A freudian slip? :)

6. George P

George P Notable Member

Is the Cube CD still in print? I agree that it looks a LOT less compressed to me. I have the Cube with the first four albums, is the one you have a different mastering?

7. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

OK, I checked. Turns out what I thought was the 'Castle' Shine On Brightly is actually the 1995 A&M/Rebound CD.

8. Dr. Merkwürdigli

No it is not in print. I’m not even sure the Cube CD is the best CD out there. But IMO it easily betters the Westside CD.

9. Dr. Merkwürdigli

This shows the EQ differences between the Westside CD and the Cube CD. To me it sounds and looks like the Westside have the usual "smile" treatment in addition to the mentioned compression issues.

The graph shows how you must EQ the Cube CD to have a similar EQ to the Westside CD. Track used is Cerdes.

I guess the jacked up heights on the Westside gives the impression of better detail.

Attached Files:

• EQ.jpg
      EQ.jpg
      File size:
      40.8 KB
      Views:
  10. Dr. Merkwürdigli

11. Music Emporium

Music Emporium Forum Resident

the salvo reissue of shine on brightly is both brighter and more compressed than I expected not the worst remastering job for sure but it's a pity they didn't leave more headroom so the music can breathe........I'd give it a 6-7 out of 10, nice cardboard sleeve although prone to cause scratches on the cd and the linear notes are really informative------

12. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Anyone have Salty Dog yet, which is now out? The live bonus tracks are pretty tempting...

13. I got it.

The live tracks are in stereo, sound great (8 track recording maybe?)

I prefer this live version of "Juicy John Pink" to the studio version. It's a whole band affair with a much more interesting arraignment.

"Skip Softly My Moonbeam/Sprach Zaranthustra" is great as it contains some great organ playing and some nice 2001 bits. Unfortunately there is some minor electric hum throughout this track, but it does not detract much from the experience.

"Crucifiction Lane" is a pretty straight runthrough, sounds great, not really much on the studio version.

"Going Down Slow", a blues tune that really showcases Trower and Brooker well. excellent sound, excellent track.

"The Milk of Human Kindness" outake is the same one used in the Westside remaster.

Buy it and enjoy!:)

14. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Thanks, I'm sold!!

15. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

What's up with these Salvo Procol Harum reissues? I "pre-ordered" Procol Harum and Shine On Brightly from CDUniverse, scheduled to be released on June 9, 2009. Well, as of today I got an e-mail stating that the release date had "since passed" (really? I hadn't noticed!) and my "pre-order" is now a backorder. :realmad:

And yet, my local non-big-box record shop, Vintage Vinyl, has BOTH albums in stock for a slightly higher price than CDUniverse. What's up with that? Why are the Procol Harum reissues seemingly unavailable at every online vendor? Even mighty Amazon.com lists them as releasing yesterday but currently "Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available." Are they truly that difficult to obtain?

Should I keep my backorder active or just spend the extra dough and support Vintage Vinyl to get what I want now?

16. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

They're in-stock at the BtP (www.procolharum.com) store:

http://www.btpstore.com/

at $9.25 each plus postage. Takes about a week to the US.

17. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident Thread Starter

.....still no word on a release date for the next phase of releases(the releases of the Brooker/Reid-owned album through the "Salvo" label)

18. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

All right. So, I cancelled my CDUniverse order and am trying my luck with Amazon.co.uk. All four Procol Harum remasters are in stock at a mere £5.98, which equals roughly $9.78. With shipping, my four CDs came in at £26.85, or $43.89. At $10.97 each, I'd say I made out quite well compared with my original CDUniverse order totaling $53.58 and $13.40 per CD. But I'm just splitting hairs over a couple of bucks, now, aren't I?

I just didn't like the fact that I had no idea when, if ever, I'd get my music from CDUniverse. Something about the backorder status made me suspicious, especially when the remasters are readily available in merry 'ol England. Here's hoping all goes well on their trip cross the Atlantic!

19. I got all all three from Amazon.uk fast and damage-free. You will too. :righton:

20. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

Awesome! I have one question, though: were the Procol Harum CDs shrink-wrapped? Almost every import I've ever bought from the UK has come sans wrapping, save for stuff from Ace Records. Just curious. I kind of hate having imports arrive already "opened." I like to open my music myself! :laugh:

21. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Being digipacks, these should arrive sealed. I bought mine from HMV UK and they were sealed, so Amazon should be the same.

22. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

I must admit that I don't pay much attention to this but I'm pretty sure that my copies, from Am. UK, were shrink wrapped. I think I had to use my thumbnail to open them.

23. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Yes.

24. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

Any word on the sound of the Salvo "Broken Barricades"? What about the Italian pressing with the alternate cover available on BtP?

25. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

One thing about the Salvo Procol Harum I like: you get two versions of "Homburg", and the mono single version is the correct mix (unlike the Westside, where the "Homburg" has some awful-sounding reverb added to the vocal.) I like the Salvo stereo "Homburg" as well, this may be the definitive take of that variation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.