A reminder about Audio Fidelity 'Bad Co.' 24 karat gold CD going out of print!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott J, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

No offense taken.

Like I said, I only have the one copy, and it'll never be for sale in my lifetime. As one of my colleagues used to eloquently say, they are as rare as "Rocking Horse $h*t", in the UK at least. (He had a way with words)

I just like to keep the wrap on it if possible for a bit of added protection.

JJ

2. Music Emporium

Music Emporium Forum Resident

I " respect" the fact that some people consider these Gold disc as "investments" however I can't , in my humble opinion this "greedy" attitude has prevented some people with less "resources" from enjoying good music and has increased artificially the fair price for many of these 24 Kt gold cd's and has not really contributed to keep "alive" neither the old MFSL nor DCC but as I stated before this is the law or supply and demand and we should be grateful for the fact we have another chance to get what we were missing then with AF ..........I've only bought just one copy of each title from AF to enjoy the music but if I buy another copy of Bad company it'd be to give it away to any of my friends really interested in listening to music the way it should be .Taking into account how badly remastered cd's are sometimes , we shouldn't contribute to make things more "complicated" for people who are discovering how unaccurate is the idea of " the newer the better" most of the times when talking about " remastering" .

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

good posting...

I never bought a 2nd or 3rd copy of my DCC or MFSL CDs/LPs... why I should?

4. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The only thing that drives prices up is the combination of high demand (because of collector's value and excellent quality) and low supply (because the titles become out-of-print).

I don't see how people investing in AF titles contributes to either situation. On the contrary, since so many forum member bought additional copies and are thinking of selling them, it could help keep the prices down for quite some time.

Take a title like the DCC Ringo. Apparently, there weren't enough investors, because that title is frustratingly rare, and the price is insane. If 2000 forum members had bought an extra copy back then...

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

As a collector, I will (politely) throw my hat in the ring here. I have a number of sealed CDs that are extra copies, meaning titles that I already have a play copy of. So, I am already enjoying the music. It's much harder for me to keep something sealed if I do not have a play copy, but I have a few discs like this. I resist the temptation to open them because I know that I can get an open copy for a lot less than the sealed one is worth or because I have a suitable substitute. There are even a couple of discs thrown in that I keep sealed because I don't like the music. No temptation there. :)

6. Music Emporium

yes probably if everybody had a different attitude ( not greedy ) and you're under the assumption that these people would allow their copies enter the market and I suspect many of them probably wouldn't if the price isn't right....... one more thing, do you really think people are gathering several copies of each title to make them available for future generations of audiophiles or really to make money ?

As I said before it's nothing bad with it, it's a personal attitude , what I said is that probably increasing the niche market of these products is more interesting for the feasibilityof AF and the future of digital formats than feeding existing consumer with aditional copies that are appointed to feed " investments"

7. KeithH

To the first point, it obviously depends on how many copies were pressed, and actually, how many copies were sold. The sold part is important because copies of a particular title left at retail after it goes out of print might end up back at the record label to be destroyed. Eight months is plenty of time for production to reach enormous quantities. I wonder how many copies of K.T. Tunstall's album Eye to the Telescope were pressed in eight months (or however long it's been out). If it went out of print today, I'm sure it would not be worth a lot of money ever.

I'm quite sure that the Bad Company disc was pressed in lower quantities than the Tunstall disc, but you asked about any disc after eight months. As I stated in an earlier post, I just purchased an extra copy of the Bad Company disc. However, I doubt it will ever reach DCC Ringo proportions. First off, I think the Bad Company disc was pressed in larger quantities. As I said, I saw 8+ copies of it at two different FYE stores. I never saw so many copies of any DCC title at retail. Second, the secret about gold CDs is out now. Everyone knows about the potential value. I'm sure that far more people will put away sealed copies of the Bad Company disc than they did with DCC titles. This thread will help that along. I doubt there were Internet discussions about putting away sealed DCC discs back in 1999. If there were, they certainly did not get as many view as this thread will get.

The basic laws of econmics will be followed. This masterpiece (Bad Company gold disc) will only be worth money and only be highly sought after if the demand greatly exceeds the supply. I am skeptical that this will happen, especially in the short term. Don't expect a Ringo-like windfall here.

(Now, if my post convinces people not to put away sealed copies, you and I could be laughing all the way to the bank. Why did I post that for everyone to see? :shh: ;))

8. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

What does it matter if not? You are somehow implying that the title will go out-of-print sooner or that the prices will increase if many people buy multiple copies, which doesn't make any sense.

Both are equivalent. Nobody sells anything if he doesn't make any money.

9. Music Emporium

The idea is the following, more people are gathering multiple copies of AF titles with an expectancy of profit taking into account what some DCC titles are worth right now...........after these titles go out of print prices will increse for sure or I'd better say will retain their value but not reach the prices the old DCC used to have and people won't put additional copies in the market.........so prices will go up for a while and then will drop again........so in a nutshell these cd's will go up for a while but it won't be like it was with the old DCC because there will be more copies of AF's in the end but that was not my point,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my point was how we can( people that are supposed to care about music and regret about the lack of quality in recent releases contribute to keep alive boutique labels like AF , in my view speculation is not the way ) of course people sell things to make money but I assume everybody will benefit more if we concentrate more in making more visible AF to others than thinking of How much my Sealed copies of bad company will make in 4 or 6 years..... this way more copies will be sold from new people, AF will make more money to to get license rights and moreover The big labels will notice there are still consumers interested in quality reissues

10. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

You can of course go ahead and buy 1000 copies now and sell them for $15 each next year. :)

11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The major labels can't make $$$ with a "handful of audiophiles" against millions of deaf peoples, which like compression and louder than everything else!!!

12. Bruceanthony

Bruceanthony Forum Resident

within the last 2 weeks someone on this forum pointed out that on ebay there was one of these Bad Co. Gold cd's listed as a DCC and i believe the last i looked the bidding was up near $66.00 ? i think this was the amount? I never got to see how mutch the auction ended at. so who is to say how much this will fetch once people start presenting this cd on ebay as "out of Print" or get creative with the way they list this cd & mention "AF license expired sept, 06" and this title is no longer available", "Master tapes have been Destroyed" most forum members will know better but a lot of ebayers will pay more. also i see that the Bad Company (CD) Live Albuquerque, NM, USA-1976 (Angel Air Records)that was released and pulled a few months back is on ebay now and bidding is up to $158.00.

13. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I think there's potential for profit, but not a huge one. I disagree that everyone knows aobut it's value...there are TONS of people not on the 'net yet...we only have a small percentage of the population reading this stuff.

That said, I still don't see them skyrocketing, simply because the cd format is "up in the air" to some people, not worth investing in.

14. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I dont know to much about gold cds but i have the Bad Co and Bostons first and Who's Next,am i rich?

15. musicalbeds

No...but that Who's Next is worth some coin, despite not being considered sonically appealing...unless it's the masterdisc; it's the MFSL that's worth cash.

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The Mofi :confused:

17. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Yes, one of the most expensive MFSL titles is Who's Next. This proves that this forum is not responsible for the prices. :)

18. musicalbeds

That's right Andreas...there's no better sounding Who's Next on CD than Steve's version. I was listening to it last night, marveling at the sound.

19. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I didn't know that :eek: a remaster of a bad sounding remix :shake: that makes me crazy!

20. KeithH

I still see the MFSL Who's Next disc listing for $175 or so, but I wonder how many people are paying that these days. My guess is that some folks have read comments here and have passed on it. Seeing as I am a collector and that I like the album very much, I might have paid eBay prices for a copy had it not been for this site. Instead, I bought Steve's version for $7. :)

21. KeithH

Well, let's not be so literal about everyone. My point was that many music collectors know about the value of gold CDs now as they learned about MFSL and DCC gold discs the hard way, meaning that they did not stock up six years ago at retail prices. And, the people who did put away the MFSL and DCC discs years ago probably will put away the Audio Fidelity discs, too. I say that there will be more people putting away sealed copies of the Bad Company disc than did so with MFSL and DCC gold discs years ago. This thread alone will probably convince a number of people to do it.

22. musicalbeds

Conversely, more people will know aobut the gold discs in a few years than know about them now, hopefully making the ratio similar to what it is now.

It's all speculation of course, and I don't really care about making a bunch of cash on my extra copy... it will always be tradeable and you won't lose money, that's for sure.

23. KeithH

Now that I agree with. My extra copy should always have trade value. I might not be able to trade it for a $100 disc, but I should be able to get something nice for it should I seek a trade. There will always be someone who wants it, but just not at a very high price (e.g., like the DCC Ringo disc). My contention, anyway. :)

24. Raxel

Raxel Senior Member

If everyone only bought the copy he needs and keep it for own listening pleasure, those OOP DCC/MFSL would cost much higher than current market price.

Yes, you would give your extra copy to your friend who really like the music, but what to do if someone doesn't have a friend who has extra copy, he needs to pay very high price to lure someone selling his own copy.

25. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

My Who is Ultimate MasterDisc. The Bad Co is SH. Boston is MasterSound. The Boston sounds really good,real good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.