A few questions about 'Bonanza', please...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hawkman, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff Thread Starter

Brad, I just got BOTH the Bear Family set and the single disc! Guess what I'm listening to tonight?? :D

By the way, it looks as if Bear Family did the usual bang-up job on this set! :righton:

2. Hawkman

Which are considered the better shows? The three brothers ot two brothers versions?

Or are there two different camps? :D

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

You are listening to some Bonanza music tonight :D

4. Hawkman

You are darn right I am! :D

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The earlier shows are considered the better shows.

6. Hawkman

Thanks Brad. I am currently making my way through seasons on and two. Well..half of two since that's all they out out here so far. I have Season 6, Pernell Roberts' last season, coming from Germany.

It was really nice to see Inger Stevens in The Newcomers episode.

7. Hawkman

Just got my Season Six Bonanza DVDs from Germany. I just took a quick look at the first two minutes of ONE episode. It doesn't like near as nice as the American DVDs but at least they are doing full seasons instead of the half seasons that they are doing here. AND..they are up to Season Seven. Here they are up to HALF of Season Two. At this rate I'll be 90 before they even get to the end of the Sixties.

8. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Hi guys, I grew up with Bonanza and High Chapparal on Swedish TV in the sixties. First came Bonaza and later HC. Both were huge successes in Sweden and Mike Landon and Henry Darrow were treated like superstars as they visited Sweden for tours. It was like if Elvis would have come.... They were touring in the country and met a lot of Swedish stars and performed together. Brings back nice memories. :wave:

9. Hawkman

Great shows and great memories!

10. I bought this disc on Brad's recommendation a couple of years back - it's great fun and I'd recommend it.

Best Wishes
    David

11. Hawkman

It IS a lot of fun!

12. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

13. Hawkman

I don't know. You would think that they would do them a season at a time. At the rate of half a season every now and then getting all fourteen seasons will take way past my lifetime.

14. ashleyfan

ashleyfan New Member

The quote above refers to the Monkees: someone asked if they were on against Bonanza, and someone posted that the Monkees were on the same network.

There's a website I saw which had the schedules of the Monkees' two NBC seasons, and in 1966-67, their CBS competition was 'Gilligan's Island', Monday nights at 7:30 Eastern, iirc

Here is a nice fact about the 'Bonanza' theme song. Forgive me if you know this already but the lead guitar was played by Tommy Tedesco, who later was a member of the Wrecking Crew.

And a fact about the way NBC cancelled Bonanza itself: their November 5, 1972 episode was the lowest-rated in the show's history, so it was cancelled the next day. What was the thanks the show's cast and crew received after all those years? They read about the cancellation in the November 6Hollywood Reporter, I believe, because no one at NBC thought it necessary to at least call them and let them know that the show would be axed, before it hit the trade papers.

15. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I'll partly answer question #3: my personal favorite episode of Bonanza was "Hoss and the Leprechauns." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV3Aff9oYB4&feature=related It was shown during season 5, in 1964. I remember watching the first time the show was aired, and our whole family loved it. Bonanza was a Sunday night staple for our family, though we didn't get our first color TV until December 1968 (a beautiful 23" Magnavox set). In fact, I think we watched the show from its debut in 1959, though I don't remember those first couple of seasons, but I really loved westerns.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

did Bonanza season two volume 2 box set come out on DVD yet? Vol 1 was released last DEC.!

17. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

God those shows were good. I've not seen that one in forever.

Who had control at that time on directing and editing?

18. Hawkman

And whose son has made an excellent film about The Wrecking Crew!

Nope. That's why I said I will probably be long gone before they get through all fourteen seasons. It's absolutely ridiculous the way such an iconic show is being dealt with.

19. Michael

sales may have something to do with it? They put the 2 parts of season one out together In a bundle and separately...most likely the split seasons may have stalled sales...I'm not a fan of the split season greed....

20. Hawkman

I don't like the split season idea either. The ultimate example of this is The Time Tunnel...which only ran for one season but was split into two halves for issue on DVD.

21. Michael

IMO, nothing else than greed...

now take shout factory for example...no greed there...complete Dennis the Menace for $21.99 at Amazon list $29.99 for 32 episodes...plus bonus features...they do a nice job as well most of the time.

22. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Here in NE Ohio the All American Soap Box Derby in Akron used to be a big deal and they used to have celebrities come in and appear each year and I remember one year when I was a kid it was the stars of Bonanza. Wish I could find some photos. Those innocent days are gone for good.

fr in sc likes this.
  23. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

My dad won a color TV in a church raffle in 1964. The TV repair guy we used, had to come to our house and set it up...about an hour of tuning. I lived in a very small town, and we may have been the only family with a color TV at the time. For the next couple of Sundays, all the neighbors came over to watch Bonanza. The burning brand, at the beginning of the show was amazing in color!

I remember two episodes kinda well. In one, a young beautiful woman, was bit by...something rabid. One of the brothers, maybe Hoss, had a crush on her, but she would meet a deathly fate. In the other, Hoss had been shot in the back. The doctor removed the bullet, and Hoss got right up off the table!

In a weird turn of events, my dad and Dan Blocker went to college together and had done some summer stock theater together. And, the first famous person I ever met, was Michael Landon. I was six, and he could not have been nicer.

I was a bigger fan of "The Rifleman" but I did like Bonanza.

fr in sc likes this.
  24. Michael

great story! thanks for sharing...

25. Gasgeek

Gasgeek Forum Resident

"Hoss and the Leprechauns" was my favorite of all time. I remember watching reruns for years as a kid, trying to see it again.

Any woman that fell in love with one of the Cartwright clan was doomed. I remember one lady was engaged to one of them, and there was a fight in the barn. She succumed to an errant pitch fork. There was usually a bad ending for a Cartiwright love affair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.