A few questions about 'Bonanza', please...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hawkman, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

What happened was this: Originally, syndication of programs owned by NBC was handled by their own in-house NBC Films. But after the forced divestment of the networks' syndication arms in the early 1970's (which led to CBS Films being spun off into Viacom and ABC Films' properties going to Worldvision), NBC Films was sold in April 1973 to NTA (National Telefilm Associates). During the 1980's, NTA acquired the properties of, and rights to the name of, Republic Pictures, and renamed themselves as such. After subsequent corporate reshufflings and maneuverings, the TV library of NTA/Republic wound up in Viacom/CBS's lap (as did the former ABC Films library held by Worldvision).

As a side note, when The Dean Martin Show (an NBC staple from 1965 to 1974) was briefly syndicated in the late 1970's/early '80's (I saw reruns on WPIX Channel 11 in New York in 1980), the NTA logo as used in the early 1970's was shown at the end of each show.

2. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

We got our first color TV set in 1973, so I had to wait a long time! Canadian networks starting color-casting in the fall of 1966. In the US, all primetime shows were in color by fall 1966, although some shows switched to color before then (such as "Bonanza", and other shows mostly on NBC). In fall 1965, all but two of NBC's shows were color, where only about half were on the other networks. NBC also aired several daytime game shows in color from the early '60s onwards, where as CBS and ABC didn't fully switch in daytime until around '67 or so.

For several years, all network primetime shows were pre-announced that they were in color (such as the NBC peacock, or "CBS presents this program in color").

fr in sc likes this.
  3. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

Our family didn't get a color TV until 1969. I was 20 and away at college at the time. That Christmas break I never left the house. I was thrilled to be finally watching TV shows in color. A family down the block from us got a color TV in 1965, so I would try to go over to volunteer to babysit their two young children just so I could watch their color TV. I think that either the 1966 or 1967 season was the first season that all network shows were in color.

4. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff Thread Starter

Brad, are you talking about the David Rose album of music from Bonanza??

5. Hawkman

Even more interesting is that an NBC staple is now sold on CBS DVDs!

6. Hawkman

Were there any Christmas themed episodes of the show??? Like the way they used to air Christmas episodes of network shows around Christmas?

7. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

There was a half-hour break between them. In the Central Time Zone, Disney was on at 6:30 PM and Bonanza at 8:00.

8. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

Aha! I remember now. That explains my memory mix-up. Thanks, stereoptic. Next time I visit my parents I must dig out all those viewmaster reels.

9. Hawkman

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes there were

11. BradOlson

Yes

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That Chevy spot freaked me out. I can't remember it from then but it's pretty unique, isn't it? I mean, you have Paramount stars, Columbia stars and an MGM star hawking the same car in the same commercial. That's wild.. No NBC network exec in his right mind would want that broadcast on his network, after all, it's cross promoting a show on a rival network (Bewitched). Must have been some big GM bucks behind this. Wonder when it was broadcast? Not during prime time, an FCC no no (too long)..

13. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Would have been shown at movie theaters maybe?

14. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

If you look around you'll find the Bonanza Christmas album, issued sometime in the early '60's. I found it on CD a few years ago. Lorne Green, Pernell Roberts, Michael Landon and even Dan Blocker singing! It's a hoot!!!:)

15. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

Both NBC & CBS broadcast compatible color shows and series starting in late 1953. Check out my site (link below) for the pre NBC Peacock color logo, the NBC color chimes and early CBS "bloodshot" eye color logos. The NBC color series "Northwest Passage" pre-dated Bonanza by a full year starting in Sept. 1958.

-Steve D.

16. BradOlson

It is part of the Bear Family boxed set and it exists as a standalone CD.

17. Hawkman

Thanks Brad! I remember shows like that when I was a kid and it was really fun around the holidays to see Christmas themed shows.

I'm thinking that it was a movie theater thing too. Either that or maybe Chevy dealers had some sort of film loop device to play them in the showrooms.

I have the Bear Family set coming to me. It can't get here fast enough. I look forward to Ponderosa Party AND the Christmas album. I love that kind of nostalgia. It takes me back to that time and I remember the fun we had.

I need to start looking for the vinyls on those too!

I started watching the Season Two, Volume 1 set today. I was surprised to see Henry Hull in one episode. I was surprised to see The Werewolf Of London playing an ex-Army scout. :D

So does anyone have a favorite season??? One that stands out more than another? Or are they all high quality??

18. BradOlson

The vinyl issues of many of the albums are not easy to come by in M- condition in most used record stores and in fact, some of them are rare and go for big bucks but they are out there.

19. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Burns and Allen opened up the 1954 season with a one-time episode filmed in color, airing October 4, 1954. I'm sure there are others, but that is the earliest CBS broadcast of a show in color that I am aware of. At least a show on film. (I've spent years trying to find that color show to add to my TV collection but keep coming up empty handed.)

20. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

My nana had that album, and it looms large in the christmases of my youth.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why this was never made into an animated tv special. I always imagined it using the animation style of the long lost animated version of a Christmas Carol by Richard Williams.

21. Hawkman

I see them on eBay but I'm also going to start looking for them at record shows.

22. BradOlson

Lorne has also released a bunch of singles not on albums, and even 3 albums that haven't ever been issued on CD at all. Michael Landon didn't release an album, but he did release several singles and those are compiled on the Bear Family single disc Bonanza compilation.

23. BradOlson

24. Hawkman

Thanks for the tip, Brad. I just ordered a copy. :righton:

25. BradOlson

You're welcome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.