A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector [Expanded/Extra Tracks] - 10/02/2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Get2Me, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I believe so - despite Phil's wearing a Back to Mono button on the cover! Looked it up on Wikipedia and it says the Warner-Spector was the first stereo release.
    And there have been only unofficial releases on CD - a certain Dr. released a nice needle drop of the Pavillion release, and some of the tracks appeared in stereo on some grey area European releases of The Crystals, Darlene Love, and the Ronettes.

2. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

The version on Apple with Phil on the front dressed as Santa is Mono

3. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Nothing's Going to Change Presidente's Kokomo

Why is this album not available in 8.1?

4. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

I have that one, and though the cover says it is in mono, it's definitely stereo.

5. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

No. The Chrysalis was marked stereo but is not.

Bootlegs. All of them. Why deceptively promote them here as "unofficial" and / or "grey area"?

The LP has had four stereo releases:

PSI 2307 005
    Impression PSLP 2
    *Warner-Spector SP 9103
    CBS Pavillion PZ 37686

* UK Warner-Spector 59010 with cover painting of Phil in Santa suit looking in mirror is mono

6. Free Bird

Free Bird Member

So is this new expanded edition the only way to get the new Vic Anesini mastering? And does it beat all other digital versions?

7. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

These were sold through Legit, official channels like amazon.com uk, we're they not? So they weren't exactly typical bootlegs. Don't know the legality behind their release but they were widely available.

8. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

The point of vending doesn't miraculously legitimize bootlegs.

Atom Bohr likes this.
  9. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Count me in as wanting to hear about some a/b CD comparisons when someone picks this up!

10. HILO

HILO Senior Member

Agreed.Another miss.Ironic how the mega companies don't get it and small guys like Now Sounds are right on the ball.

11. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I have the 2 copies of this album, one on Warner-Spector and the other on Passport Records (Jem Records). I don't recall if the Passport (re-issued in 1984) is in stereo, I thought it was. The Warner release is definitely in stereo. Both have the Phil Spector Santa suit picture. The authentic mono tag at the bottom of the cover is gone from the Passport version.

12. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

I have the 2 copies of this album, one on Warner-Spector and the other on Passport Records (Jem Records). I don't recall if the Passport (re-issued in 1984) is in stereo, I thought it was. The Warner release is definitely in stereo. Both have the Phil Spector Santa suit picture. The authentic mono tag at the bottom of the cover is gone from the Passport version.

Yes it is - sorry I didn't list it. It uses the Warner-Spector mastering.

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

There's a wealth of information regarding the monoaurality and stereophonicness of the A Christmas Gift for You (Phil Spector) compilation here (these threads are all prior to the last few remasters):
    Ted Neeley's Post:

14. mikrt17

I've just received my CD and firstly let me say that the packaging is superb with a triple fold out digi pack with a very informative booklet and all in keeping with other Legacy digi packs ie: Elvis CD's .........now to the sound ...from the first track I noticed that the voices were very forward and for me a little too much 3khz boost which at high levels was a little painful, the bottom was awesome which is something I've missed on past releases and I also noticed more detail in the backing track but it's a shame that the vocals have suffered because of this and I understand what has happened because the original mixes were very dark with the vocals forward so adding mid range doesn't do them any favours, however at low volume levels it all seems to sound fine until you turn it up and then the 3khz is screeching at you........just my opinion you understand.

15. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

Hmmmm....this isn't good news. 3khz center frequency is indeed the danger zone when it comes to digitizing Philles, and specifically (with the Christmas album) if it's not drastically removed then annoying upfront vocals are the result...along with far too much isolated percussion. Vic Anesini usually handles the low end masterfully. It should sound like a rock'n'roll album, not a symphonic album. Like the original LP, it should be as "dark" and beefy as the singles like "Be My Baby" - it was made to duplicate them after all.

While I hope your opinion is just plain wrong, nailing the exact frequency - and the attendant symptom of screeching when the volume's cranked - indicates that it's a very well-informed opinion. :)

16. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

You can tell the vocals are very forward on the Amazon UK sound samples. Do you have the 2009 Ludwig mastering? I sold mine. Vocals were more pronounced on that version also. Might be interesting to compare it to the new mastering. Sounds like they could be pretty similar.

Still waiting for my copy of the new set. Anything I order from Import CDs takes nearly 2 weeks to arrive anymore, which is ridiculous.

17. Cisum

Cisum Forum Resident

Though I didn't get this final release, I was able to compare a friends tracks with my 2009 release. It sounds very similar and I understand that the tapetransfers on this new release were made by the people involved in the ABKCO remastering that was released by SONY in 2009....so in other words, is this really a "remaster".....?

18. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Does it indicate on the packaging that this new release was (re)mastered by Vic Anesini (still awaiting my copy)? Many have been speculating that it must have been, given his recent work on the Spector material, but is this a fact? Given the SQ described in post #89, it seems less than likely.

19. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Yes it does. See post #63.

20. mikrt17

Yes Vic Anesini is credited with the mastering but no date is indicated.

21. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Finally received this &, while the vocals are more forward than the way I'm used to hearing this record, they did not "screech" on my system at higher volumes. Love the bass & added clarity, which I did not find created too much separation between the instruments, backing vocals, which would have defeated "the wall of sound". To me, it sounds great overall, a thoroughly enjoyable listen. Another Vic Anesini success in my opinion.

22. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

So - why wasn't this released in the US?

23. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

Ahhh...good to hear! There's hope - I'd already slumped into "another ruined Christmas" mode due to earlier reviews lol

They're still flogging the 2009 Ludwig mess here for Christmas 2012.

24. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Hope you enjoy it as I did. Was listening to it as I wrote my last post & my head was bobbing with enjoyment.

25. I just got it today and your review is spot on. Really a great CD version!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.