A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector [Expanded/Extra Tracks] - 10/02/2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Get2Me, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

Got the original 1st release on vinyl , Phillies PHLP 4005 mono , and i must say that i love it , play it every xmas and in my opinion
    it is the best xmas record , my grandparents love it , my mum loves it , my kids love it , my dog and cat loves it , at my house xmas
    would not be the same without it . Come this xmas it will be getting some pretty heavy rotation along with Johnny Cash's xmas album
    as well and just for the hell of it i may throw on Dylans as well .

didn't need to dig it out to get the numbers , it's already in stacked up next to my stereo ready
    to go , yes i may be a little weird but i line up my records that i am going to play on a day
    by day - weekly basis , gotta plan ahead .

2. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

On the Amazon samples page it mentions 2012 mastering on all the Christmas titles but not the 2nd CD containing single hits.

3. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Sorry, what I meant was that there was no mention of who mastered it (in 2012), thus my question as to whether or not the original listing for this item stated that it was going to be mastered by Vic Anesini.

4. mikrt17

OK ............I think there is a strong possibility that Vic Anesini mastered this 2012 issue as he did the last Sony release and is involved with many Legacy releases.

5. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Thanks. Hope Anesini mastered it as that is the only reason I would acquire this again, whether or not it is in mono (my guess) or stereo.

6. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

It will be interesting to see if this gets released here. I'm kind of miffed that they're dragging out the same old hits again & turning this into a 2-disc set. That means it'll be what? 15-20 bucks? That's ridiculous. I would love to have Vic's mastering of this material, but not at that price. This should be a single disc - priced to sell.

Oh, and as for stereo, you can get mad at Sony all you want - but they are licensing this material. I seriously doubt that have any say in that.

7. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Might bite if it's a confirmed Anesini remastering. Plus I don't have any of the songs on disc 2, so this could be one-stop shopping. Then I can get rid of the 2009 CD.

8. John22

John22 Forum Resident

9. mikrt17

It seems that this double album is a special Christmas release for the UK 0nly and it's already being advertised on TV here in the UK it does state 2012 mastering but I'm wondering if this was mastered in the UK .

10. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

I gave in and bought this and it shipped 2 days ago. I don't expect it to arrive for at least another week. Not sure who mastered it, but I wanted the extra disc. Strange that there's not even a listing for it on U.S. Amazon.

mikrt17 likes this.
  11. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Please let us know how it is.

12. Free Bird

Free Bird Member

13. warleywarrior

warleywarrior Forum Resident

My copy just arrived...Sounds good...Notes say..mastered by Vic Anesini ..Analog to Digital Transfers by Teri Landi,Kabir Herman,Steve Rosenthal and Brian Thorn at The Magic Shop New York..Compared it to the Japanese SHM edition..vocals more pronounced? Second Disc sounds good too..never heard The Beatles Hold Me Tight by The Treasures before ..a Treat !! Well worth 10 quid..Good ol Amazon..

mikrt17 likes this.
  14. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Most of Phil's work (pre-seventies) sounds better in mono, often drastically so.

I love his work but he is where he belongs and I hope he stays there.

15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Certainly true of this album. The Spector/Warners version from the late 70s (first one I owned) was stereo and sounded lousy-- way too much prominence for the strings.

16. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Great! Thanks for the info. Looking forward to it even more now.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the mono is dreg city...horrible. I like the Stereo version of he Christmas album..I am not referring to Phil's whole spectrum of work...I'm separating the Phil in jail to the Phil in the studio...

18. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

Thanks for confirming that! Hope Vic's reined in the tinkerbells.

Disc 2 has a couple of CD rarities only available on Essential Phil Spector.

19. mikrt17

Great to hear this is a Vic Anesini remaster ......really looking forward to hearing it now ........my copy has just shipped.

20. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

l Am I correct in that this new CD release is not in stereo ?
    The Pavillion/CBS vinyl is the only offically release stereo out there.

21. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

You are correct that this release is mono.

The Apple vinyl was stereo as well, wasn't it, or am I remembering correctly?

22. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

No, I am not remembering correctly - the Warner Spector LP which reused the cover of the Apple version was stereo.

23. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Is this the one with Phil (I assume it is him) in a Santa suit on the cover? Just saw a copy of this in a used rack in my area.

So there is no stereo release on CD?

I'm interested in getting the new release. Just picked up the 2009 release last year, but the bonus disc on this one makes me not mind getting another one so soon.

24. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Most of us would say ALL of it sounds better in mono!

25. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Just to clarify... the Warner-Spector LP (with Phil as Santa on the cover) is stereo? I'm looking at a copy on Ebay right now and it says "Authentic Mono" in the bottom center of the cover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.