A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector [Expanded/Extra Tracks] - 10/02/2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Get2Me, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

+1

2. houston

houston Forum Resident

I heard Phil shot a hole in the idea ;)

3. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Let's see....
    Vinyl: Philies, Apple, Passport, Warner-Spector (the Passport is stereo as I recall)
    CD: Rhino, Abkco in the Back To Mono box set, Abkco standalone (which I assume is identical to the one in the box set), the 2009 version.

Re the stereo: If you have it on vinyl & you really like it, then I'll concede the point. I can see why you would want a stereo CD. But if you've never heard it in stereo, I think you might be disappointed. I've had it in stereo on vinyl for years & only listened to it once or twice. Back when the 2009 remaster came out, I dug out the stereo LP & listened to it again - and was totally underwhelmed. I remember thinking that in order to give this album a decent stereo sound, you would need to remix it from the ground up - and we all know that ain't gonna happen! As always, YMMV.

I always liked the sound of the Rhino CD better than the Abkco...and I don't like the 2009 remaster very much at all. Yes, it's more detailed, but at what cost? The lead vocal is WAY upfront - doesn't sound "right". I would buy an Anesini mastering - in mono - in heartbeat.

4. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

I agree - the existing stereo mix is appalling, and is in no way superior to the mono mix.

5. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Yep, the stereo mix of this album is crap. The singers sound like they're in the house next door.

6. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

I think technology is part of the issue, and Phil's wise to not let the stereo out as digital. You can rely on an average stereo cartridge to do some "mixing", and some of the stereo LPs don't sound nearly as bad as a clean separated digital rip.

Problem with the stereo is that the track is on one channel, minimal overdubs on the other and loud vocals right over the lot and all of it has too much reverb.

Phil claims he only did the Xmas LP & Ronettes in stereo to shut Ronnie up, but I think he and Larry Levine did them much after the fact for the Record Clubs.

7. skiddlybop

skiddlybop Forum Resident

I'm very very interested in bonus instrumental tracks, mono or stereo. I think we can expect extended edits popping up online when they appear.

8. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I'm sorry, but someone has to say this:

At this point, this should be a Christmas gift to those of us who've bought this title over and over.

Or is this merely "A Christmas Cash Cow" for whoever collects royalties when this is "remastered/reissued" once again?

9. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

LOL Think of it as a seasonal "Pet Sounds"...the appeals need to be paid for, and Track 13 (Phil's "Silent Night") is sort of a gift!

10. Well it was great to have the Spector set last Christmas and all we need is the album to be remastered by Vic and to be in a mini LP style sleeve. That's not asking a lot...is it?

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

:shrug: You are denying yourself from hearing a true classic. The original stereo mix will tilt your head and it is doubtful that there will ever be another remix to balance it out.

12. Beachbouys

Beachbouys Forum Resident

This should be in both mono & stereo with added bonus tracks, even if only instrumental backings or studio chat.

13. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

But there are those who think the Mona Lisa would be improved with an updated hairdo and some lipstick.

Yeah - screw da Vinci, and make a diptych out of it! :laugh:

14. Cisum

Cisum Forum Resident

It is now deleted from amazon.com. Will not be released this year.

15. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

See??? They read this thread & said the h#ll with it!

16. Cisum

Cisum Forum Resident

17. Interesting. I thought we wouldn't get this one this year.

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

19. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Ugh. STEREO FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!

20. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Are there still people in the world that want this and don't already have it? Especially on CD, bearing in mind CDs sell to an older market.

Tim

21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've got so many versions of this album, especially on vinyl, that there'd have to be something special for me to buy another copy.

22. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

It's up on Amazon UK with samples and it's a 2012 mastering......looks interesting and it's in the triple gatefold Legacy packaging ....tempting.

23. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Here is the link:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Christmas-G...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1353685897&sr=1-1

Remember to remove 20% VAT included therein before making your purchase decision, if you are in North America. Given the fact that neither of amazon.com or .ca list this item at all, it should be an easy decision...

When this was announced was it stated that Vic Anesini is doing the mastering, or is this just wishful thinking on our part? The above listing makes no mention of mastering.

24. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Another vote for a stereo cd (I've owned the stereo version on UK Cassette and two US lps)

25. Cisum

Cisum Forum Resident

This is just a plain stupid joke. I am not willing to buy this for the cardboard sleeve alone. If SONY are not able to release some stereo, understandable, but how about a couple of alt. takes, studiochatter, an unreleased song or two. People who collect this music have bought and paid for these tracks many many times over in this format. And....before someone says "noone is forcing u to buy it" well I won't! But I sure would wish SONY would release something I could use my money on this christmas.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.