$500 Ethernet Cable !

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by adm62, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I haven't mocked this cable. But I believe the basis for the fun that this is a digital application. In an analog context, interconnects are far more important.

I will grant you that little technical information regarding Denon Link has been offered in this thread. Does it employ some method of error correction? If not, a high quality digital interconnect might have merit.

2. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

This may come as a shock to some of you, but at present all of my audio and video gear is interconnected by analog cables. Thus I have some questions. First, I assume that DenonLink3 is a proprietary interface designed by Denon to transmit digital data or signals (I am not sure which it is) between two pieces of Denon gear. It also appears that a standardized connector and cable type (Ethernet) is being used for this proprietary interface. (Is this correct so far?)

Is the data reclocked when it is received or does the timing of the data have to be maintained by the cable? I assume the cable has to protect the data stream for external interference? Has anyone tried replacing one of these cables with a run-of-the-mill Ethernet cable and experienced any difference in the performance?

3. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

correct. more specifically, high-resolution digital audio (SACD, DVD-A multichannel)

correct. its physically a Cat5e cable with RJ45 termination

not sure about the clocking mechanism in the DenonLink interface. digital data is not as susceptible to EM interference as analog signals are, so yes protection is important. However, consider a common Cat5e with thin PVC shielding transports our financial information all over the place all the time with hardly a dropped (or added) zero, so whatever protection the DL3 cable professes to offer is subject to pinches of salt, IMO

see below

4. Tony Plachy

Jamie, Power cords and more importantly the power signal itself do make a difference (I am not sure I would call it night and day, but it certainly is audible). I proved this to myself with my PS Audio P300 that regenerates the power (up to 300 watts) for my front end gear (i.e. my phono stage, my preamp, tuner, SACD player, etc.). The P300 allows me to make all kinds of changes to the actual power signal and you can hear the difference very easily (if your ever in the NYC area let me know and I will give you a demonstration).

As to power cords themselves, the most important feature of after market cords is they are shielded, where as most cords that come with even the best gear are not. The area behind an audio equipment rack with power cords, interconnects, unused connection points is an EMI jungle. There are electric noise traveling up and down the power cords (especially on digital gear), being radiated from the power cords, the cables and the unused connection points. Now the good news is that these radiated signals do not travel very far, a foot or a little more.:) But, all the cords and cables behind an equipment rack are within a foot or so of each other.:eek:

This is why I advise people to:

1. Use shielded power cords if possible,
    2. Metal cap all unused connect points on the back of gear,
    3. Use isolation devices to keep the digital hash on power cords of digital gear for getting onto the power cords of analog gear,
    4. If your up for it, have the dedicated house wiring runs to your audio gear done with BX cable which has its own aluminum outer shield which is grounded. (I do not have a dedicated run to my audio gear, however, my house is old enough that it was wired with BX cable and I practice the other points in my system.)
    5. Use power regeneration instead of power conditioning. :righton:

5. Tony Plachy

Feisal, Thank you! :righton:

6. lordvader

lordvader Forum Resident

May jump in?
    And someone more knowledgable me may then corrent me, but ...

Given the nature of an ethernet signal, plus the processing that goes on in both the transmitter and receiver (and everything else in the OSI layers), plus all the ECC that goes on, and the millions of other reasons why ethernet is used to wire hundreds of computers over hundreds of meters etc etc ...

*deep breath*

... that the quality of the wire would only slightly reduce the need of a packet needing to be retransmitted ? And even then, that would be over distances that I'm pretty sure Denon won't be offering ...

(I haven't seen an ad for a 300m spool of the stuff ...)

7. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

what have you guys done??? the Amazon product link is off...

heh heh

8. Claude

Claude Senior Member

That's weird. I've never seen a product page disappearing from Amazon like that, even for products that are no longer available. The cable cannot be found with a search either.

Here's the link on the Denon site

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3429.asp#

9. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

wait a minute, Amazon was BSing when they said you could save $1.00?

:mad:

10. Tony Plachy

I was amazed that amazon left those comments up on their site, I guess someone there finally read them and realized what was going on. :sigh:

11. phish

phish Jack Your Body

where can i get those metal caps you are talking about tony?

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Music Direct sells the Cardas caps. I use them and they work.

13. Tony Plachy

Yes, MD works for both RCA and balanced (both male and female). You can find RCA ones in audio shops as well. If you have BNC you need to go to Mouser Electronics.

14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I also have to agree with Tony that cables make a difference, even power cords. The best way to think about the "last mile" of current is that it is the "first mile" that one's amp sees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.