2008...so far

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Manley, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Ok, I am the first to admit I have been out of touch with new music for the most part for the last 5 years or so.I have noticed that my tastes definitely fall into a popish area .I like the Pugwash stuff, Vampire Weekend,Wisely etc...so thanks for the suggestions.

Surprisingly, I have now purchased nearly every Goldfrapp album.I think the song " A&E" is really good.She is my new Sade. Not that the music is the same but you know what I mean :).

Its cool and kind of funny to hear everyones differing tastes in music.

I am trying to get into the Shelby Lynne Dusty cover album but I am such a hge fan of Dusty's that it just is laying there for me right now. Maybe I need to listen to the whole album to see how well she has mae these songs her own and still kept the feel. I aint gettin' it yet.

Keep the suggestions coming I am getting quiet the collection.

2. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I'm coming at it from a different angle. I love Grinderman -- great nasty, sloppy Stooges-influenced rock.

But I've never really gotten Nick Cave otherwise. I bought Henry's Dream a hundred years ago. I obviously need to give it another chance.

Jeff

3. vomitgod

vomitgod New Member

This will likely be my favorite record of the year. Highly recommended!

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:39fixzejldse

4. levi

A buddy just loaned me a copy of the Raveonettes' new album -- Lust Lust Lust.

Great stuff. Sort of a '50s vibe Jesus and Mary Chain, if that makes any sense. You Want the Candy is my new favorite song of the year.

Jeff

5. meme

meme Forum Resident

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, I listened to this a couple of times, and while her vocals are great and it's a nice sounding record, I find myself wanting to go listen to "Dusty in Memphis."

7. levi

Here's a link to a video for Candy. It features, in no particular order: great hooks, a big, fat Rickenbacker sound and hot chicks in lingerie.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GQoPAXIvLyA

Jeff

8. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

Sounds about half way between The Jesus and Mary Chain and The Primitives to me.

9. RevolutionDoctor

RevolutionDoctor Forum Resident

Here's another vote for Goldfrapp's Seventh Tree although I'm curious what Portishead is going to come up with.

Another recommendation : The Belgian Band "Monsoon". Their last album is brilliant except for just one song. You can listen stream the album on their site (just go to the "media" section) :

http://www.monsoon.be

10. Second the above - here is some excellent world-music I picked up today.

Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu - Gurrumul

[​IMG] :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gurrumul has a beautiful voice and sings the songs he has written in various Aboriginal dialects and in English. He plays right-handed strung guitars left handed and is blind since birth.

11. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Listening on their Myspace page. Very nice. I guess they ditched the glam/dance thing?

12. Lontano

Lontano Forum Resident

Porcupine Tree - We Lost the Skyline - recommended

[​IMG]

13. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple sounds great on the first few listens, much better that their debut, the album has a '65/'66 sunshine pop vibe to it and also reminds me of the sound Amy Winehouse got on her album (thou not the vocals)

14. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

15. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Thanks for the tip. I just watched "That Great Love Sound" on YouTube and I'm sold on it. Great description, btw. :thumbsup:

16. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Listening to Nick Cave's Grinderman and the Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! CD's atm. I prefer Grinderman - it rocks more - but some of the Trax on Dig, Lazarus are also really good. Just like the way he sounds - vocals and music.

I am absolutely in love with that new Song by Amy Whinehouse with that other guy - only saw the Video with those 4 beauties all looking a bit like Amy with long big hair etc. pretending to sing on stage.
    Seemed Amy couldn't get out of REHAB to act in that Video. Nevertheless the Song is so good. That girl can sing and has the right feeling for her songs, too. Best newcomer this Decade...
    What's the name of that Tune again ?

17. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Wow!
    Just received this LP last night and it's a stunner. Great sound, too.

18. levi

It would be completely inappropriate for me to mention how freakin hot Sharin Foo is in that video so I won't.

Jeff

19. levi

Even though it's more than 10 minutes long, I could easily listen to the title cut about a dozen times in a row.

Hopscotch Willie ranks pretty high on my list, too. :cool:

Jeff

20. Electric Bozo

Electric Bozo Holy Synthesist

I too await the new Pugwash - the single and taster clips have me drooling, and thanks to Thomas I ordered early like other denizens of these boards. However, I am also looking forward to Roger Joseph Manning Jr.'s new disc "Catnip Dynamite" which streets in Japan next week. Best known for his tenure in Jellyfish, Manning is currently looking for U.S. distribution for this album, the follow-up to "Solid State Warrior"/"The Land Of Pure Imagination," and he has three tracks posted on his MySpace profile: http://www.myspace.com/rogerjosephmanningjrmusic

21. Any views on this one, listened to it for the first time today - highly rated in the UK but I'm not sure if it makes it past the just 'nice' category. :shrug:

[​IMG]

22. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I've heard the Adele single "Chasing Pavements" a lot on the BBC - I don't really get the meaning of the title phrase - is "chasing pavements" a U.K. idiom of which I am unaware? Musically, Adele is pleasant enough neo-soul, but not nearly as interesting to me as Amy Winehouse or Duffy.

23. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

The Gutter Twins : "Saturnalia"

Dark and spooky, heavy, gothic and bluesy, majestic, melodic and damn fine to boot!

Another winner for 2008 and a fine addition to the brilliant catalog of Mark Lanegan, surely one of the finest Rock singers of the last 20 years.

24. dj2hynes

dj2hynes New Member

Love this album as well. Not sure how it's atmosphere would translate live though.

another album i've just listened to that's blown me away on first listen:

Why? - Alopecia

I wouldn't have listened to it based on it's description as being hip-hop meets indie pop but i saw some great reviews and decided to give it a go.

25. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

It's 'atmosphere' translates "live" beautifully! I saw them on Fri. night here in a Toronto club and they blew the whole room away. There was a lot of love for Mark Lanegan in the room that's for sure.
    Everyone (myself included) was thrilled with the show (and the way the material is played live makes you dig the album even more!):righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.