2008...so far

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Manley, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

That's pretty much where I fall, too. A little too slick, but I can see why they're getting so much attention. Very cool to hear Afro Pop influences on an album that's probably going to make a lot of End of Year lists.

Jeff

2. levi

My favorite so far is Real Emotional Trash by Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks.

I'm a little disappointed by some of the pointless lyrics (Malk can and has written much better), but I love the extended jams. I swear, they remind me of everything from Television to the Allman Brothers.

And Janet Weiss brings the rock.

Jeff

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Don't know. I think Mojo preferred it to the new one.

4. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Almost took the plunge but the Rolling Stone review was a tad lukewarm. So it's really good in your opinion?

5. scotto

scotto Senior Member

My thoughts exactly. I can appreciate what they're doing, but they're a bit too Jaluka for my tastes.

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I just tried Vampire Weekend on their website and it's not for me.

7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

What I have heard from that is really good.

8. egor

egor Forum Resident

Black Mountain - In the Future
    Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
    Dead Meadow - Old Growth
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
    Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - Real Emotional Trash

I've only heard cuts, but the new Black Crowes promises to be good.

9. hauntologist

hauntologist Active Member

Me neither. But hey, at least we tried! :wave:

10. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

After a great year of music last year, I haven't purchased any 2008 releases.:shake:
    I'll watch this thread to see if their is anything of interest.

Any enthusiastic wholehearted recommendations for must have albums for 2008 are welcome.

11. nickg

nickg Forum Resident

What I've heard of the new band "She & Him", their new album Volume One looks to be good. Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward team up for an album together, she's got a sweet voice. Some songs sound like late 50's/early 60's girl group songs, some sound very early 50's girl country. Great mix.

12. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I like what I've heard. They're playing the El Mocambo at the end of the month so I might go check them out.

13. Davey

Davey NP: Jessica Pratt ~ Here in the Pitch (2024)

The new British Sea Power is a blast and has been my favorite for the last month or so. Somebody has a thread about it already so won't say anything here.

Also really listening a lot to the Bon Iver record. And the Vampire Weekend is a lot of fun, so well made for a debut. Love the English Beat and Police and Paul Simon references. Great stuff, even if it does sound like a lot of my old favorites. There are lots of people dismissing it as derivative, and like I said, it is, but to me it's all in a good way. They mix in some of that calypso guitar sound to really good effect, kind of a nod to Orchestra Baobab I guess. But I think you have to take it as what it is, just made for fun. Like when the Police and Clash were having fun with reggae, it wasn't intended to be the "real" thing. And these kids don't have any roots in Soweto or Jamaica either, but they still know how to make a fun mix of styles.

14. Clarkophile

"APunk" is one of the best singles I've heard in the last couple of years. In and out in 2:20. Uncannily catchy and charming. The video is a hoot.

15. For new music, not compilations or live albums:

Steve Lukather - Ever Changing Times

Pat Metheny Trio - Day Trip

------------

to a lesser extent:

The Mars Volta - Bedlam In Goliath

Sheryl Crow - Japanese edition of "Detours" (both bonus cuts are great!)

----------------

In terms of the stores, Radiohead's "In Rainbows" is also a 2008 release, and it's wonderful.

16. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

British Sea Power & Dead Meadow are great ones too. Gee, I guess it has been a pretty good year so far!

17. Davey

Davey NP: Jessica Pratt ~ Here in the Pitch (2024)

18. The only 2008 albums I've bought so far are:

Joe Jackson - Rain
    Sheryl Crow - Detours

Apart from these 2 there haven't been any new 2008 releases so far that I found interesting.

19. I'm going to mention In Rainbows, because for us luddites it didn't properly come out until January! I've also been digging The Magnetic Fields' tribute to the Jesus and Mary Chain, Distortion.

20. Aaagh! Thanks for making me think of Johnny Clegg doing the township jive! Gaah!

21. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

If any new posters here would like to elaborate more on why they like these particular albums and/or how they compare with others from the same artists, that would be spiffy.

I'm a guy who prefers "older" rock, but I've been pleasantly surprised by "new" artists suggested to me by friends. It's hard to go through this list of names though and hunt down sound samples to decide if I'd dig 'em. So even brief descriptions of the style of these artists might be helpful to those who aren't familiar with 'em. :)

22. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Joe Jackson - "Rain"

My fave (and in my opinion) the best new album released so far in these two & a half months of 2008.

Also the new Black Crowes and the new Gutter Twins albums are good!

23. Clarkophile

Gladly. :righton:
    Got 2:20 to spare?
    This is the video by Vampire Weekend to which I was referring in my post:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_XC2mqcMMGQ

24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I can't get into this at all -- it's unlistenable!

25. levi

Here's the first single from the Malkmus album I mentioned earlier. Hear for yourself: :cool:

http://www.matadorrecords.com/mpeg/stephen_malkmus_jicks/stephen_malkmus_jicks_baltimore.mp3

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.