12" Versions on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by elgreco, Sep 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indy500

Indy500 Forum Resident

I'm a big collector of as well. Been looking forever but have never found these on CD:
    Wang Chung -- Everybody Have Fun Tonight (12" of Fun)
    Howard Jones -- Things Can Only Get Better ( 12" remix)
    Donna Summer -- Love Is In Control (Finger On the Trigger) (12" remix)
    Pat Benatar -- Love is A Battlefield, Sex As a Weapon or We Belong (remixes)

2. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

To my knowledge, none of these have turned up on CD. In fact until I found a copy recently, I wasn't aware that there was a 12" mix of "Love Is A Battlefield". Cool remix by John "Jellybean" Benitez. Man was that guy ever busy during the 80's!! I still need to track down a copy of the remix version of "Love Is In Control(Finger On The Trigger)". I only have the promo 12" with the LP and 45 edit versions. Sounds terrific since it was mastered at Allen Zentz by Brian Gardner and pressed on Quiex II audiophile vinyl.

3. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Saw this one once when it first came out and didn't buy. Of course, I am kicking myself now. I've been looking for That Was Yesterday [Extended Version] by Foreigner for quite awhile - either the vinyl 12" single or on CD - and can't find either one. Hopefully, one of these days.....

4. CD Heaven West

CD Heaven West Active Member

I own one of these too and have never seen another one come thru my shop.
    Bruce

5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That's a fantastic-looking retro comp you've got there! :righton: I'm familiar with just about every song you included on it, but I've never heard a lot of those 12" versions. It's taken me forever just to collect all the "regular" or "album" versions, let alone starting to collect 12" versions too! :p

The track timings on those 12" versions are the same as the original album versions.... what's up with that?

6. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

Some comments if I may.

1. I suspect Beat Box is the album version, or very close to it.
    2) West End Girls. Try to UK 12" version - or better still the 10" (many ££ though, and I don't have it myself.)
    3) Called Yazoo here in blighty
    4) Better mix on standard UK 12" - Sisa Mix
    5) I suspect edited from UK 12" which is 9:50!
    6) Originally only released on 12"
    7) This looks like it is different to the three 12" mixes I have come across - any good?
    8) Think this is LP version
    9) Same as above.

7. Lazlo Nibble

Lazlo Nibble Forum Resident

It depends. The original version of "Beat Box" is the 4:49 version from Into Battle With The Art Of Noise. The 8:32 version is "Beat Box (diversion one)" which first appeared on the 12" and was later included on (Who's Afraid Of?) The Art Of Noise!.

8. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

The odd thing is that the original version of "Beat Box" is difficult to find on CD, while the Diversion One remix seems to be all over the place. For some odd reason when "Into Battle With The Art Of Noise" was finally released on CD in 2003, it included the Diversion One remix instead of the original Diversion Zero mix!!!:realmad:

The other odd thing is that some compilations have used another remix called Diversion Ten that runs just under four minutes. This mix first appeared on the B-side of the "Moments In Love" 12" in 1985.

Finally last year when the Art of Noise box set titled "And What Have You Done With My Body, God?" was issued by ZTT overseas, the original Diversion Zero mix of "Beat Box" was included.

9. Lazlo Nibble

Lazlo Nibble Forum Resident

I strongly suspect Repertoire used the masters from Daft for much of their CD release of Into Battle. They missed a number of other easy bets on that release, like "(Do) Donna (Do)"; fortunately the box set finally resolved a lot of this.

It actually first appeared, labeled "Beat Box (diversion six)", on the second UK "Beat Box" 7" (ZTIS 108) in early 1984; it's an edit of "diversion one".

(You could spend decades tracking and documenting ZTT's early releases, and some of us have. ;))

10. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

Wow...there's an Art Of Noise box set???

11. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware that ZTT had released more than one version of "Beat Box" on 45 in the UK. The 45 released in the US was an edit of "diversion zero"(Island/ZTT 7-99782) in March 1984. That version clocks in at 2:50 b/w "Moment In Love".

It's also interesting to note that the Art of Noise's greatest chart success was not on the Pop but the R&B chart and Dance Club Play charts. "Beat Box" hit #10 on the Billboard R&B singles chart and #1 on the Dance chart.
    "Close(To The Edit)" also charted well hitting #4 on the R&B chart and #2 on the Dance chart.

AON managed to chart three singles on the Billboard Hot 100:

"Peter Gunn"(w/Duane Eddy) #50 July 1986
    "Paranoimia"(w/ Max Headroom) #34 October 1986
    "Kiss"(w/Tom Jones) #31 January 1989

12. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Yes it was only released in Europe, though you can buy it through Amazon. It consists of material from the first two Art Of Noise records on ZTT, released tracks, and various unreleased demo versions. It only contains material produced from 1983 to 1985 so it doesn't have any of the China/Chrysalis material on it.

13. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I found a copy of the remix of this a couple of months ago for $2. Nice extended edit and remix by engineer Bruce Swedien.:thumbsup:

14. lordvader

lordvader Forum Resident

There is a Billy Idol compilation out there that seems to contain ONLY the 12" mixes of his tracks :)

15. Indy500

Indy500 Forum Resident

Yeah, I really like it as well. You'd think some nincompoop would have used it on one of the countless Donna Summer comps by now instead of the same (4:18) album version...but alas no.

:realmad:

16. Mike the Fish

ART of NOISE:

Box set: try before you buy

17. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

Elaborate, please.

18. Mike the Fish

While it is interesting to hear some ZTT variations (I picked up a UK Beatbox 12" only this week. Got home today, should listen to it.) this has got LOADS of stuff that may sound quite similar - there were not a huge number of different tracks released by AON on ZTT, and some tracks with diff titles are early versions of tracks you may be familiar with if you have Daft/Who's Afraid...

If you're finding it hard to track down samples. the ZTT shop via their website has one for each track.

All the best

- Mike

19. Mike the Fish

Beat Box diversion 2 as a number of you will know is Close (To The Edit) - but approx 30 secs longer than the LP version

20. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

Seems like Volume 4 is available. A big thank you to Ben Liebrand. His work on these box sets brings tears (happy) to my eyes.

http://www.liebrand.nl/grand12/index.html.

GRAND 12 INCHES 4

CD 1 (The Funky Grooves)

1 Michael Jackson - BillyJean 6:25 (original 12" version)
    2 War - Galaxy 8:11
    3 A Taste Of Honey-Boogie Oogie Oogie 5:34 (original 12" version)
    4 Heatwave - Grooveline 7:29 (original 12" version)
    5 Chic - Le Freak 5:33 (original 12" version)
    6 Jimmy BoHorne - Spank 6:59 (original 12" version)
    7 Peter Brown - They Only Come Out At Night 6:24 (original 12" version)
    8 Sister Sledge - He's The Greatest Dancer 6:05 (original 12" version)
    9 Billy Ocean - Stay The Night 6:15 (original 12" version)
    10 Farley Jackmaster Funk - Love Can't Turn Around Suite 17:14 (Special Ben Liebrand Edit)

CD 2 (From relaxed to energetic)

1 Grace Jones - La vie en rose 7:28 (original 12" version)
    2 Change - You Are My Melody 6:24 (original 12" version)
    3 World Premiere - Share The Night 7:26 (original 12" version)
    4 BB&Q Band - Genie 6:00 (original 12" version)
    5 Aretha Franklin - Who Zoomin Who 8:36 (original 12" version)
    6 Deodato - Fire in thge sky 6:48 (original 12" version)
    7 Peter Jacques Band - Going dancing down the steet 5:51 (original 12" version)
    8 Earth, Wind & Fire - System Of Survival 7:41 (original 12" version)
    9 Jacksons - Walk Right Now 7:39 (original 12" version)
    10 The 3 Degrees - The Runner 7:40
    (rare funky long version)

CD 3 (My Sequencer based roots)

1 Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls (Produced by Bobby Orlando) 7:51 (original 12" version)
    2 Bobby "O" - She Has A Way 5:50 (original 12" version)
    3 The Mike Theodore Orchestra - High On Mad Mountain 8:14 (Full Length Version)
    4 Divine - Native Love (Step By Step) 5:07 (original 12" version)
    5 Bobby "O" - ImSoHotForYou 5:11 (original 12" version)
    6 Azoto - San Salvador 6:55 (original 12" version)
    7 Easy Going - Fear 7:52 (Full Length Album Version)
    8 Midway - Set It Out 6:39 (original 12" version)
    9 Flirts - Passion 9:02 (original 12" version)
    10 Hot.R.S. - House of The Rising Sun 14:40 (Full length version)

CD 4 (Alternative and Pop)

1 Georg Kranz - Trommeltanz (Din Daa Daa) 6:19 (original 12" version)
    2 Roy Ayers feat. Ubiquity - Running Away 6:56 (original 12" version)
    3 Level 42 - Love Games 7:26 (original 12" version)
    4 MaiTai - History 7:19 (original 12" version by Rutger Kroese)
    5 Mantronix - Got To Have Your Love 8:24
    6 Pointer Sisters - Automatic 6:08 (original 12" version)
    7 Quincy Jones - Ai No Corrida (I-No-Ko-ree-da) 6:16 (original 12" version)
    8 GQ - Disco Nights 5:15 (original 12" version)
    9 Laid Back - White Horse 5:45 (original 12" version)
    10 Jam & Spoon-Follow Me 12:29 (original 12" version)
    11 George Kranz - Din Daa Daa (Acappella / Dub-Version) 3:06

21. Mike the Fish

Was there a 12" mix of Billy Ocean's Red Light Means Danger?

22. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister Thread Starter

Not that I know of - all I've ever come across is the 3'30 single version. Although there was a mix in the eighties that was a bit more extented. But it was a typical 80's mix, with those loud drums. Not at all like the original.

And yes, the new Liebrand 4 cd box is out. Still have to buy it, but the tracklist is very promising. I'm really curious for those 12" versions of System of survival, Walk right now and The Runner (a big EU dance hit for the Three Degrees, produced by Giorgio Moroder - though it doesn't seem to be the original 12" record).

Nevertheless, I could do without some tracks on discs 3 and 4. Of course there's always some stuff that's pretty easy available (why Le Freak, He's the greatest dancer, Boogie oogie oogie, la vie en rose?), but in my experience those box sets often contain the best sounding version available.

23. Mike the Fish

I looked at the link - although the majority wasn't on my want to hear soon list his notes were interesting. I'd also like to know which mix of Moments In Love he used as there's no time for that one. Do you know elgreco?

24. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I wasn't as thrilled with the selection on Vol. 4 as I was with the past comps. I'm more of a disco purist, so once he gets into anything post 1981 I lose interest.

But I'll still buy them...they truly sound incredible.

I've read elsewhere that people are disappointed with "The Runner". I'm not familiar with the track, but apparently this version is either a remix or an alternate mix.

jlc76 likes this.
  25. Mike the Fish

If you follow the link that was posted earlier you'll see his reason for using that mix. I can't entirely recall what it was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.