11 Depeche Mode albums to be release on SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marc Pool, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Yes, I know where you're coming from. ;)

2. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

What he said.

3. discs4sale

discs4sale New Member

Aside from the love of their music (Sorry I'm not really a fan), the music that I've heard has a mechanical and sterile quality in the recording which I'm not sure lends itself to be the best choice for SACD release, but then...give the fans what they want! The sound seems inherent has that glassy quality, but SACD probably makes for the definitive version (aside from original vinyl).

4. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Yeah, I tend to agree with you on that although Ultra might benefit since it seemed to have a warmer, more analog sound to it. I'm mostly looking forward to the multichannel mixes so unless they royally screw those up, I'll be happy.

5. djdave

djdave New Member

i'm saving money now for these......lol
    there is to be another greatest hits around Xmas time, i wonder what form that might be, be it surround sound, sacd, dual disc (us/canada), double disc, single disc....it's just too long before Xmas comes around again.
    ugg!

6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I checked out the official site - why aren't the bonus tracks included on the hybrid CD/SACD? It looks like they are only included on the DVD-A? :confused:

Regardless, this may well be the SACD/DVD-A catalog reissue that causes me to invest in a 5.1 system.

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Just to clarify for you, the DVD, from what I understand, will not be a DVD-A - it is merely a DVD-V with DTS/Dolby Digital and PCM.

8. GoldenBoy

That's true, but, IMO, Playing the Angel sounds wonderful on SACD. I think the DM recordings of the 80's suffer from 'digititis', even the ones that were recorded in analogue, most likely due to a combination of using electronic instruments and 80's digital effects processors.

9. GoldenBoy

There is no DVD-A, it is a DVD-V.

10. GoldenBoy

And they do not list what resolution the PCM stereo will be on the DVD. It could be 96/24, but I'm guessing it's more likely 48/24 or even worse, 48/16.

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Now that I'm back in business stereo-wise, bring on these SACDs! :righton:

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

You know, I consider myself to be a serious music fan and computer geek, and I honestly can't keep with all these different formats and sub-variations within these formats. I can only imagine the response of the "average consumer" if you tried to explain to them that the new Depeche Mode reissues are "merely A DVD-V with DTS/Dolby Digital and PCM." No wonder they're satisfied with mp3s - it takes a master's degree to figure out how to play these new discs. I guess I'll try to buy an entry-level SACD player and 5.1 system and figure out all of the DVD format nonsense later. :(

13. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

There's a curious contradiction in this (not meaning your point, but what you mention). The same people who, we feel, would have a hard time digesting audio technology's terms seem to have no problem at all with their equivalents in mobiles phones, instant messaging, flat panel displays, etc. Just food for thought, IMHO.

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'm sure that a lot of people barely understand how to use 10% of the features on their cell phone.

15. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Not one of my friend's understands Flat-panel-TVs. They just like thin TVs.

And I think the vast majority of flat panel TVs out right now look worse than traditional tvs. Flat panel=Mp3 Rear projection=CD. CRT=SACD.

Me, I'm looking forward to the first 5 Depeche Mode Albums in SACD surround.

16. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Uh... is something wrong? I only see 4 discs on CD-Wow, not the 11 albums... :confused:

17. Marc Pool

Marc Pool New Member Thread Starter

Nothing is wrong, this is just the first batch.

18. GoldenBoy

They're releasing them in batches of three every couple of months.

19. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

That's a great analogy.

"But, CRTs are so heavy..." Well, I don't know too many people who move their television after it's put into place.

20. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Great... I won't be that poor that soon, then :D

21. GoldenBoy

I know exactly how you feel. :agree: ;)

22. JohnG

When can expect the first batch to ship from CDWow?

23. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

The official date is April 3rd - check remasters.depechemode.com

24. JohnG

Oh, I thought the first batch was due in early March.

25. GoldenBoy

Based on the track listings on the first three remasters, I suppose I can assume that when Black Celebration is released, it will not have 'But Not Tonight', which closes out the US CD, on the SACD? It's a shame, really, because I've always preferred the album with that song as the closing track. It's always been a breath of fresh air at the end of a rather melancholy album. O, well, I'll still gladly get it as it is my favourite DM album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.