11 Depeche Mode albums to be release on SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marc Pool, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

That's what I said in my post. I think you mentioned something about CD+DVD-A. Perhaps you made an error:

SACD+DVD-V in the EU, CD+DVD-V in the US, just as Playing the Angel was. Whether or not they will have DD or dts 5.1 on the DVD, I don't know.

2. whitenoise

whitenoise New Member

Way to lose sales, Warner. Criminals. Guess I'll be importing from Europe, then.

:thumbsdn:

3. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

But, according to CD-Wow (and I know these pre-releases are often full of misinfo), it'll be SACD + DVD-A in the EU. It'd be really cool to get the b-sides in hirez 5.1 but I'm not getting my hopes up until I have it in my hands!

4. mtodde

mtodde New Member

DM isn't my favorite band but I may pick up a few titles...I just hope they get released before the format dies, LOL.

Does anyone remember the song by the Dead Milkmen called You'll Dance to Anything? You'll dance to anything by Depeche Commode?

5. GoldenBoy

It must be an error. When I ordered them, it only said SACD+DVD. And here's what it says in the description still:

No mention of 'Advanced Resolution' on the DVD.

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

They are not SACD/DVD-A. Not a chance. DVD-V.

7. GoldenBoy

I agree.

8. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I just ordered (and canceled ) from MusicNonStop but then ordered from CD-Wow (reason: 8 pounds cheaper.) http://www9.cd-wow.com/searchresults.php?&searchfield=depeche+mode+sacd

CD-Wow says April 3, 2005 while Music Non Stop says March 27th, 2006.

The DVD portion of each release on Music Non Stop:
    DVD ( "Speak & Spell" in DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1 and PCM Stereo )
    DVD ( "Music For The Masses" in DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1 and PCM Stereo )
    DVD ( "Violator" in DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1 and PCM Stereo )

While Cd-Wow says for each:
    Entire Album And Bonus Tracks Mixed In DTS 5.1,Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround & PCM Stereo

So SACD + DVD- V just like Playing The Angel.

The next 3 releases are not in CD-Wow or MusicNonStop but are listed on Shout On-line as:
    http://www.shout.ru/news/news_january2006_e.htm#11
    13.04.06 - «A Broken Frame» (SACD), «Construction Time Again» (SACD), «Some Great Reward» (SACD)

Let's hope these come out!

9. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Remember you can watch region coded disc on your computer using the FREE program VLC: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

10. GoldenBoy

I know, but VLC will not pass dts encoded data for me. Also, I hate the hell out of the interface on that thing.

11. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Well, there's always SlySoft's AnyDVD : http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

12. GoldenBoy

Nope, I'm on a Mac. Ripping it and stripping the region code for playback with Apple's own DVD player works quite fine for me anyhow. It's an extra step, but at least I can then play it in any PAL capable DVD player once I have the DVD+/-R of it.

13. Cornholio

Cornholio Are you threatening me?

Violator, Songs Of Faith & Devotion, Ultra and Exciter are ones that I'm definitely going to pick up!

14. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Well, how's about Mplayer? http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/

Well, other than Mactheripper have yo ulooked into updating the firmware on your DVD player?

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=4564aa86ce1b6ad8c166f5b9dc02694e

15. GoldenBoy

I didn't realise there was an OS X GUI front-end to MPlayer. I actually have it as one of the components to ffmpegX, which is a UNIX-based video conversion tool.

I've tried finding the firmware patch for the Denon 2200. At one point it seems there was one floating around, but it is impossible to find today, for me at least. Anyhow, as I said before, it's not worth it anyway. The Denon 2200 does a horrible job of converting PAL to NTSC. I prefer to play it back from the computer.

16. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

17. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Thanks that is great information. I am still worried that if the DVD is coded anything other than ALL regions (which means not region 1) my DVD player won't be able to access the bonus material and bonus tracks at all (since it is region 1 only - and doesn't do PAL either). I would then have to play them, in stereo only, via my computer (which is not what I want to do).

I guess I could double dip and buy the CD+DVD when they are released domestically, but I am not sure I want to do that - and I would rather have SACD of the album proper than just a CD and lossy DTS and Dolby Digital on the surround.

18. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Unfortunately, the link I supplied above creates more questions than it answers. It doesn't indicate whether the SACDs are stereo, multichannel or both. And, it appears that the b-sides on Speak and Spell are multichannel and stereo, while the Violator b-sides are stereo only and some of the MftM b-sides are multichannel while others are stereo only. Very weird if this is the case.

19. GoldenBoy

Well, the Playing the Angel release didn't list any multichannel on the SACD either, but it was. It wouldn't make any sense for them to do otherwise, IMHO. What would the point be of releasing them as SACD's and make the 5.1 available only as dts and Dolby Digital?

20. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

A lot of what the record companies do doesn't make sense!

21. GoldenBoy

True, but in this case I'm pretty certain you can use the Playing the Angel release as a template for the reissues.

22. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Well, nothing is certain until they're released. That's the one thing that Playing the Angel does serve as a template for. I mean, Mute was denying there was an SACD for PtA right before it was released.

23. GoldenBoy

Exactly. It's my opinion that they were doing this because there was to be no High-Res release in North America and they wanted to 'hide' it so as to avoid angering North American fans and customers. After all, not everyone is a fanatic that's going to import them from the EU like I am. :D

24. shakti

shakti Senior Member

Tell me a little about DM. I've heard bits and pieces that I've liked. Maybe this is a good chance to take one step further? I like the fact that they're putting out SACDs, so I am inclined to vote with my wallet, so to speak.

I guess I should ask a friend of mine who's a diehard, but any tips on which ones to start out with?

25. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I would say that Violator is the best combination of song writing and recording quality but anything between Some Great Reward and Ultra would be a great choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.