11 Depeche Mode albums to be release on SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marc Pool, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Music For The Masses is still my favorite. Can't wait to hear "Never Let Me Down Again" in surround.

2. JohnG

Me too! :righton:

You can't beat those prices and free delivery.

3. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

It's always been hit and miss for me. I think I like about 1/2 of it, everything else always seemed like filler to me.

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Please master them with restraint! I could see the label going for LOUD.

5. JohnG

Plus Pimpf should just be awesome in surround if they get the bass right. That could be one great demo tune for a HT.

6. GoldenBoy

Well, Playing the Angel was done quite well, IMO. If they use the same philosophy, they should be alright.

Famous last words, I know.

7. Marc Pool

Marc Pool New Member Thread Starter

The best thing about CD-Wow is the coupons they give away. I have registered using three different email adresses. I still have about five or six, one euro coupons.
    I have yet to order any of the Depeche Mode releases. I did order the only Moody Blues title they seem to have.
    Plan to use some of the coupons on Depeche Mode discs, Violator seems to be the obvious choice for me to buy first.

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Where would one find these coupons? ;)

9. Marc Pool

Marc Pool New Member Thread Starter

They can't be found on the internet anymore, they used to be all over the place.
    Since about a year they send out emails stating to click a certain link to get a free coupon. The last ones I received in december of last year. Went to the adress they gave me and simply used every email account I had at that time.
    Still got a couple from november as well.
    The coupons are unique and can only be used ones.

10. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I have to assume that the bonus DVDs are also PAL? The DVD that came with the SACD of Playing with the Angel was PAL and would not play on my main system DVD player (also due to the fact that the DVD was region coded).

It appears that the Depeche Mode SACD releases have a bonus DVD with quite a few bonus songs on them. I would hate to only be able to play these on my computer (which has a region free PAL DVD software player).

11. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I know it's a pain but you can rip the PAL DVD to your PC with DVD Decryter and then write it to a DVD+/-R. DVD Decrypter will strip the region coding and most DVD players I've encountered will play PAL discs as long as they're the correct region.

12. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Sounds good if the computers in my home had DVD burners, which they do not. I guess I could always have a friend rip it and burn it for me, but I will wait and see what actually turns up when I get the first three SACDs from CDWOW.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What if your DVD-RW drive is not unlocked? Will it use up one of your free 5 region change settings when you do this?

14. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

No "People are People"? :(

15. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

This is sad, while European players (that, of course, play PAL) also play NTSC without a hitch, American players usually will not play PAL. :tsk: That's bad. :sigh:

16. GoldenBoy

No. It's the software DVD player that will refuse to play the DVD. The drive itself doesn't care what you put in it. I do it all the time. I rip the DVD to the HD, remove the Region code and, depending on the size of the disc, burn it back to either a single layer or dual layer DVD.

You may have to change your settings so that Windows, or your (software) DVD player will ignore the disc upon insert.

FWIW, my Denon 2200 will play Region 0 and Region 1 encoded PAL DVD's, converting them to NTSC, but it does an awful job of it. Fortunately for me, I have a computer connected to my HD set via DVI and can play them back from there. The picture is far superior to any DVD player I have ever seen. Not only is the PAL to NTSC conversion flawless, but the scaling (the set is 1280x720p) is far superior to any DVD player's or television's built-in scaler I have ever seen.

17. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I know this sounds silly, but all the sounds and voices on Angel are so distorted (intentionally), that it's hard for me to tell if it was mastered at a reasonable level or not. The CD layer is by far the loudest CD I have.

I'm sure others with the proper software can tell us if it was maximized and compressed or not.

Doug

18. GoldenBoy

I haven't ever listened to the CD layer, but with the SACD layer, I keep turning it up whenever I play it. It doesn't sound very limited or maximised to my ears. I've never analysed the waveforms, so someone else can speak to that.

What I do know is, the dts version on the DVD is definitely maximised, limited and compressed. The difference between the DSD program and the dts program is shocking, IMO. Even the DD version, though definitely maximised, is better than the dts.

19. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

That was sort of a hodge podge compilation created for the US market. Everything on there will be covered properly with the album re-releases since it appears they'll be adding the b-side tracks as bonus tracks (apparently in 5.1 as well).

20. djdave

djdave New Member

this is what i get from an unofficial site for Music for the Masses, copied and pasted here as follows.

remastered CD
    01 Never Let Me Down Again
    02 The Things You Said
    03 Strangelove
    04 Sacred
    05 Little 15
    06 Behind The Wheel
    07 I Want You Now
    08 To Have And To Hold
    09 Nothing
    10 Pimpf

DVD: DTS 5.1, PCM Stereo
    11 Agent Orange
    12 Pleasure, Little Treasure
    13 Route 66
    14 Stjarna
    15 Sonata No.14 in C m (Moonlight Sonata)
    16 Agent Orange
    17 Never Let Me Down Again [Aggro Mix]
    18 To Have And to Hold [Spanish Taster]
    19 Pleasure, Little Treasure [Glitter Mix]
    Video - Depeche Mode: 87-88 (Sometimes you do need some new jokes) - 35:

well this isn't a SACD........(?).

21. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

CD-Wow says the first disc is a hybrid SACD so hopefully they're correct.

Here's their listing for Violator:

Violator (Remastered Edition Hybrid SACD+DVD-Audio)
    World In My Eyes
    Sweetest Perfection
    Personal Jesus
    Halo
    Waiting For The Night
    Enjoy The Silence
    Policy Of Truth
    Blue Dress
    Clean

Bonus DVD: Entire Album And Bonus Tracks Mixed In DTS 5.1,Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround & PCM Stereo

Dangerous (Bonus Track)
    Memphisto (Bonus Track)
    Sibeling (Bonus Track)
    Kaleid (Bonus Track)
    Happiest Girl (Jack Mix , Bonus Track)
    Sea Of Sin (Tonal Mix, Bonus Track)
    Depeche Mode 89-91: If You Wanna Use Guitars, Use Guitars)

22. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

Correct. Warner Music Group still owns the rights of their release in the US; as such, they will be CD + DVD-A combo sets instead of hybrid SACD's (the CD disc on the US releases of this material will be Redbook only).

23. GoldenBoy

Where did you hear they were going to be CD+DVD-A in the U.S.? AFAIK, they will be CD+DVD-V, just as Playing the Angel was.

24. GoldenBoy

Don't worry, the same confusion plagued the limited edition SACD+DVD release of Playing the Angel. I may be reading into things a bit, but I get the feeling they are playing down the fact that these will be SACD's in Europe as, AFAIK, there will be no High-Res versions for the N. American market, just as they did with Playing the Angel. IIRC, with the latter, there was even a denial of some sort that it was an SACD by someone involved with the band.

25. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

Actually, it will be just plain CD + DVD in the US. Warner Music Group does not support SACD at all in the US - and the main albums' musical content of the US release will be stereo only (no multichannel program).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.